Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Steering Upgrades

Old 12-11-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
nedjinski is on a distinguished road
nedjinski's Tacoma Gallery
Steering Upgrades

I have a 2004 4wd reg cab that has 32K miles on it. It has had very easy and typical road usage - only truly off road a few times.

Sometime after I got it in 2004 I got recall notices for ball joints which I had done at about 20K miles. The steering was tighter for a while - but now at 32K the steering is getting noticably looser and is most noticeable when on uneven pavement - like a double crown - the truck will want to launch into the other lane as it crosses over the crowns and I have to fight the steering wheel constantly.

Is this a typical breakdown of the steering components on the Tacoma? and is the issue ball joints or tie rod ends or rack bushings, etc? What's the remedy here?

Since it's out of warranty I will have the task of rebuilding the steering system and I want to know what components to use for the long haul - not components that are going to wear out at another 30K or so.

What's your diagnosis and recommendations?
Old 12-11-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedjinski View Post
I have a 2004 4wd reg cab that has 32K miles on it. It has had very easy and typical road usage - only truly off road a few times.

Sometime after I got it in 2004 I got recall notices for ball joints which I had done at about 20K miles. The steering was tighter for a while - but now at 32K the steering is getting noticably looser and is most noticeable when on uneven pavement - like a double crown - the truck will want to launch into the other lane as it crosses over the crowns and I have to fight the steering wheel constantly.

Is this a typical breakdown of the steering components on the Tacoma? and is the issue ball joints or tie rod ends or rack bushings, etc? What's the remedy here?

Since it's out of warranty I will have the task of rebuilding the steering system and I want to know what components to use for the long haul - not components that are going to wear out at another 30K or so.

What's your diagnosis and recommendations?
if i were you, i would get a set of rack bushings from energy suspension. they will keep the rack alot tighter, and not "mush" out liek the stock rubber bushings. i bought a set of them, but then, my rack was replaced under warranty. im still gonna install them later on though. also...get yourself some energy suspension sway bar bushings.........i replaced my worn out rubber bushings with these, and it was night and day difference.