Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Good bumpstops?

Old 03-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
RAGE!!!!
mh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 12th MAR HQ BTRY TAP
Name: Mike
mh.meier's Tacoma Gallery
Good bumpstops?

I am putting a 3in lift on my Tacoma and I purchased the Billy 5100 RCD rear shocks but one of the problems they said I might have is that the shock will bottom out before the bumpstops hit. Is there anyway I can refit my bumpstops to hit sooner or is there another set i can purchase? I have been looking at Air bumps but I am not sure which one will work best with my shocks. Any help?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Who said Allpro? I thought that shock would work! You'll prob have to measure the collapsed length and go from there! They have the timbrens that will stop your up travel otherwise you could put a spacer under the flip kit they have...that thing is thick as hell!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
RAGE!!!!
mh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have the flipkit on order as well with my new leafs, should I just get the Timbrens with the flipkit?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #4
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh.meier View Post
I have the flipkit on order as well with my new leafs, should I just get the Timbrens with the flipkit?

If you want to overpay 1,000% for some rubber then by all means get Timbrens....I just can't justify the price difference from what other vendors offer. IMO they are a rip off.

just about any bump stop will work if you invert it. You can then tack weld plates on top of the flip kit until you reach the desired travel or put spacer plates between the bump and frame. Just be sure it's strong.

mine with wheelers bumps
Old 03-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
The timbrens tend to be pretty tough on the rebound if the rear end hits hard! I didn't like them and got some superbumps from wheelers. They are 1.5" taller than stock but still compress to the same size which is 3". If you mount a bump stop to that flip plate I think it sits up 1/4-1/5" higher (thickness of the plate). Depending on how much room the shock has untill it bottoms out you might be ok.

You'll prob have to get everything on and see.....! Or see who's running the AP pack you'll have and get a collapsed measurement!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #6

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
XXXX, what are you running? AP's with 5100's?
Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
RAGE!!!!

Yeah, I didnt like the price of the timbrens since they were close to the same as the airbumps. I didnt know about the wheelers bumps which is weird since I but everything throught them and DSM. But yeah I bought the AP standard leafs and the 5100 RCD's.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #8
RAGE!!!!

Wow, I didnt realize I could gt both front and rear bumps from wheelers for less than the Timbren rears.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #9

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, the superbumps in the front make a noticeable difference! I could feel them there the first time I took the truck out....kind of like a secondary shock adding some resistance on compression but not too much!

I'll prob drill 2 holes in my superbumps and mount them to that flip plate when I do mine!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #10
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
XXXX, what are you running? AP's with 5100's?
TSB pack with overload removed and wheelers 3 leaf progressive aal. Going strong for over 30k of abuse so far.

Quote:
Wow, I didnt realize I could gt both front and rear bumps from wheelers for less than the Timbren rears.
yep...and Wheelers bumps are expensive. Do not buy the rears with the "tower" as it's a waste and will be 1/2 the posted price without it. There are many other sources for bumps out there. Look around and you could do the rears for probably $40.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
RAGE!!!!

Its that easy to mount em to the flip plates? I think Ill do that too then. Thanks for all the help amigo. i am ordering the Wheelers bumps right now.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #12

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
yep...and Wheelers bumps are expensive. Do not buy the rears with the "tower" as it's a waste and will be 1/2 the posted price without it. There are many other sources for bumps out there. Look around and you could do the rears for probably $40.
He needs the height the towers offer. Your shocks can take the compression, his wont! I like how you did yours though!

Quote:
Its that easy to mount em to the flip plates? I think Ill do that too then. Thanks for all the help amigo. i am ordering the Wheelers bumps right now.
Ya, the pre-drilled flip plate (have to ask for those) from AP is used for the timbrens. Drill the same hole in the superbumps plate and they're on.....or you could weld them on if you have access.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
or do it upside down!

Old 03-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #14

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Did you do brake lines with that Pat? Not sure I'm confident in bleeding them when I get a new pack?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #15
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
He needs the height the towers offer. Your shocks can take the compression, his wont! I like how you did yours though!

Ya, the pre-drilled flip plate (have to ask for those) from AP is used for the timbrens. Drill the same hole in the superbumps plate and they're on.....or you could weld them on if you have access.
Take the $60 difference, save up some more $$$ and buy shocks that can

Those towers severely curtail travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
or do it upside down!

X2.....
Old 03-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #16

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Hard to find a shock that compresses to 14-15" and extends to 27" while staying in the stock location! Do you have 265's? My 285's would never stuff that much!

Pat's bumps are good...cheaper too!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Shock hoop for the win
Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #18

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
For sure!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hard to find a shock that compresses to 14-15" and extends to 27" while staying in the stock location! Do you have 265's? My 285's would never stuff that much!
Pat's bumps are good...cheaper too!
Yes, 265/70/17. I'm going to 255/85/16 so my rear will be getting re-tuned very shortly.

Also gonna throw some new leafs into the mix.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #20

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Yes, 265/70/17. I'm going to 255/85/16 so my rear will be getting re-tuned very shortly.

Also gonna throw some new leafs into the mix.
That's smart, wider tires (although they look good) do not stuff well! You got good mileage out of that leaf pack!