Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

New Bushings for Light Racing UCA's.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #41
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
You know the thing is I'm not so sure the new bushings will squeak any less then the old ones did. They may be more reliable though. I checked mine out this afternoon and I have no play in them so I guess i'll wait to replace them but man I wish there was a way to get them to shut up.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #42
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
I have a whole new set coming my way within the next week. I had to pay $200 for a core charge that will be returned when I send my current units back. Gotta love SPCs warranty!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #43
DR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to beholdDR Da_da is a splendid one to behold

DR Da_da's Tacoma Gallery
I have a set of the new bushings on order. However, I do have a few questions:

1. How do we know that these new bushings will actually be any better long-term? Since they are new they have not been tested.

2. Without zerk fittings and the ability to add grease, won't these bushings begin to squeak?

3. Is the poly material capable of lasting for years/thousands of miles before any sign of deterioration?

4. How do we know that the edge of the UCAs' bushing housings won't dig into the bushings' flared ends?

I'm just throwing out potential problems that possibly have not been addressed yet. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #44
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
How can you tell if the bushing should be replaced on these UCA's? I've got an older set, no play in the bushing, I don't know if they squeek because I haven't mounted them. I guess I'm asking, I have a used set, would you replace the bushings pre-install just to be safe?
Old 03-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #45
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Da_da View Post

1. How do we know that these new bushings will actually be any better long-term? Since they are new they have not been tested.

2. Without zerk fittings and the ability to add grease, won't these bushings begin to squeak?

3. Is the poly material capable of lasting for years/thousands of miles before any sign of deterioration?

4. How do we know that the edge of the UCAs' bushing housings won't dig into the bushings' flared ends?

I'm just throwing out potential problems that possibly have not been addressed yet. Thanks!
These questions would probably be best addressed to SPC
Old 03-20-2012, 10:31 AM   #46
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

we're jsut assuming that they are better and that spc (great company) has done their research. at the very least, they are much easier to replace again if needed. cheap too
these are self lubricating bushings, no need for grease
regular poly bushings can, so if designed well, these should to
torque spec. if you overtighten the uca bolt, you can pinch the ends of the bushings. should be ok if properly tightened though
Old 03-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #47
==========
pAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I cant speak for the longevity of the new bushings. I can only speak of what I installed and what I observed was different from the rest of the other pivot bushing manufacturers. You can see that in my previous and original posts.

4. The way the pivot bushing works is the bolt/nut and washer is restricted by the length of the metal sleeve and restricts the bushings from being over squished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
How can you tell if the bushing should be replaced on these UCA's? I've got an older set, no play in the bushing, I don't know if they squeek because I haven't mounted them. I guess I'm asking, I have a used set, would you replace the bushings pre-install just to be safe?
If they don't have tears or ate not dry rotted, go ahead and install them. They are easy enough to take out in the future IF you ever have a problem with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
These questions would probably be best addressed to SPC
This^^^^
Old 03-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #48
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
pAP, How did you get SPC to ship the new boots for free? Everytime I try to buy them, they're trying to charge me $10 for shipping!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #49
==========
pAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shedpAP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
pAP, How did you get SPC to ship the new boots for free? Everytime I try to buy them, they're trying to charge me $10 for shipping!
That's odd. I would talk to Chris at SPC. He told me to tell everyone there was no shipping charge on that price. My name is Chris as well if you want to name drop. He knows about this thread I started.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #50

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pAP View Post
That's odd. I would talk to Chris at SPC. He told me to tell everyone there was no shipping charge on that price. My name is Chris as well if you want to name drop. He knows about this thread I started.
Thanks! Just spoke with Brad, didn't even need to name drop, they're going to refund the shipping and said they shouldn't have rung up online with any shipping costs to begin with. New bushings and boots on their way, $30 including shipping!

+1 to SPC
Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #51
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Good info. The replacement boots must be new, they didnt offer them when I was looking about 8 months ago.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #52
SKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shedSKULLY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
SKULLY's Tacoma Gallery
So I just got a set of these UCA's in the last group buy and they have the new bushings. The instructions say there is "no need to weight the vehicle first" before you torque the bolt to 85 ftlb. But still seems like a good idea to weight the truck before you torque the bolt.... right?! Would rather not take any chances to f-up the new bushing...
Old 03-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #53
==========

pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKULLY View Post
So I just got a set of these UCA's in the last group buy and they have the new bushings. The instructions say there is "no need to weight the vehicle first" before you torque the bolt to 85 ftlb. But still seems like a good idea to weight the truck before you torque the bolt.... right?! Would rather not take any chances to f-up the new bushing...
Good to hear. Really, don't bother weighting the truck down. It doesn't matter with these bushings. The sleeve moves freely of the bushing. Eith way you do it will be perfectly fine.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #54
backcountryj is on a distinguished road
Name: Jonathan
backcountryj's Tacoma Gallery
Bad news...was installing the Spec Ride bushings last night and I tore one of my bushings (the one on the vent hole side). I had everything off-set, but with the dish soap, the bushing started twisting and I just went with it.
I got so pissed I didn't even start the other arm.
I'm planning to finish the other arm after work today, hopefully won't botch that side too.

Anyone know what the negative affects of running with the torn bushing?

If I do indeed need to pull the torn one out and replace it, I'd rather not have to buy the whole kit again. I'm planning to call SPC (wanna see if I tear another one tonight) and see what they think about using the torn bushing or if I could buy just the bushings.
Just thought someone here might have some insight.

I'll post some pictures when I get home.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #55

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how bad the tear is, a torn bushing can let water, dirt and grime inside the joint and cause lots of noise and early bushing failure.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #56
backcountryj is on a distinguished road
Name: Jonathan
backcountryj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Depending on how bad the tear is, a torn bushing can let water, dirt and grime inside the joint and cause lots of noise and early bushing failure.
Thanks Mike. I'm just going to replace the torn one and be more cautious with the rest. I've already talked to Brad at SPC and ordered two more bushings. I can't say enough about how awesome those guys are.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #57
Shep6924 is on a distinguished road

Shep6924's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pAP View Post
And Done! Had to strip and paint them... they were a bit rusty and beat up after removing the old bushings. Its a relatively easy job. The biggest thing is you need a real steady hand when cutting the old bushing ring out or else you end up cutting the UCA bushing housing. I will have all the pictures and write up of the install later on.

Dumb question, but how were you able to squeeze those washers in?? I'm going nuts!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #58
Shep6924 is on a distinguished road

Shep6924's Tacoma Gallery
Now the drivers side bolt is stuck...won't go in, won't come out. I have no idea what to do.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #59
==========

pAP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep6924 View Post
Dumb question, but how were you able to squeeze those washers in?? I'm going nuts!
Use a good bolt and nut and compress the bushing in. It will go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep6924 View Post
Now the drivers side bolt is stuck...won't go in, won't come out. I have no idea what to do.
What drivers side bolt?