Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

How much does your lift effect your MPG?

Old 03-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
bhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nice
Name: Ben
bhh2000's Tacoma Gallery
How much does your lift effect your MPG?

I am planning on getting a 2-3 inch suspension lift soon and was wondering what if any MPG change I could expect? what does it really change?

thanks
Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
Petrol head
RenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedRenoTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sloan
RenoTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
The tires that usually go with a lift will lower the mpg the most
Old 03-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
bhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nicebhh2000 is just really nice
Name: Ben
bhh2000's Tacoma Gallery
ok, so If I keep 31's like I already have the lift its self shouldn't change my MPG very much? I hear people bitching about how Lifts hurt their milage and thats from the 33's or 35's they put on?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #5
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
you lift the truck to fit bigger tires, and its usually the tires that kill mpgs.

it also depends on the kind of tire; street tires will get you more MPGs than aggressive mud terrains
Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhh2000 View Post
ok, so If I keep 31's like I already have the lift its self shouldn't change my MPG very much? I hear people bitching about how Lifts hurt their milage and thats from the 33's or 35's they put on?
true! the lift it self should not change it much. itís the tire size that gets you.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
The lift alone will affect MPG as you are creating more drag by lifting the body & therefore exposing more of the tires and undercarriage, increasing the amount surface area that has to slice through the air. Adding bigger tires will certainly increase the effect. Don't be surprised if you drop 2mpg with the lift alone.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
^ this. I used 8 tanks of gas when I bought my truck and averaged 21 mpg. Installed lift, wheels, & tires now I struggle to get 15 mpg.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
Dustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shedDustyroades is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Dustyroades's Tacoma Gallery
I had just a 2" lift with stock tires for a few weeks and saw no change in MPG. Then I got 265/75R16 P-rated Hankook A/Ts and still had no change (with odometer corrected for tire size). The P-rating is key, LTs will lose you a couple MPGs.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
The lift alone will affect MPG as you are creating more drag by lifting the body & therefore exposing more of the tires and undercarriage, increasing the amount surface area that has to slice through the air. Adding bigger tires will certainly increase the effect. Don't be surprised if you drop 2mpg with the lift alone.
Not true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
^ this. I used 8 tanks of gas when I bought my truck and averaged 21 mpg. Installed lift, wheels, & tires now I struggle to get 15 mpg.
The WHEELS and TIRES are what affected your mileage, not the lift (alone).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post

The undercarriage and drivetrain move up with the lift (assuming you do a suspension lift), nothing more is exposed except for some more of the tire. Lift doesn't affect MPG enough to notice. Tires killed my mpgs
This ^^. I track every tank of gas that goes through my truck and there was ZERO change in mileage with the ~2" suspension lift. (I know that won't be the case when I upsize my tires...)
Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
Tbones taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
Tbones taco's Tacoma Gallery
I put a 2" lift on my 07 ext cab with my 255/70/16 and im still getting the same mileage 17-20 city and hwy driving. I will be going to a 265/75/16 to get a 1.5" taller tire and i'm sure i'll loose some MPG than.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
Banned
IndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndianTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
IndianTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I lifted my truck to perform well off-road and for function not to worry about what kinda MPG im getting. I do have to say my 6 little squirrels are very thirsty in the city an on the highway
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #13
JC47 is on a distinguished road
JC47's Tacoma Gallery
Lifted mine 2.5", MPG's stayed the same. We'll see what happens after the tires.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I do believe I said lift, wheels & tires. And you can lose Mpgs with the lift alone, are you implying it's impossible?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
Not to be a jackwagon, but who cares? It may go down a couple, but when you get 18 or so already, what's another couple of MPGs among friends?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
fau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to allfau8823 is a name known to all
Name: Tom
fau8823's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyroades View Post
I had just a 2" lift with stock tires for a few weeks and saw no change in MPG. Then I got 265/75R16 P-rated Hankook A/Ts and still had no change (with odometer corrected for tire size). The P-rating is key, LTs will lose you a couple MPGs.
^^^^^ this. I did the same exact thing (same amount of lift and same tires) and also saw no change!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #17
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
... nothing more is exposed except for some more of the tire.
And axles and CVs and diffs. You're also raising the profile of the vehicle, and changing the flow dynamics from factory. Simply by lifting, more air will be diving under the truck, which is notorious for inducing drag.

But as others have said, every truck and driver is different, and results will vary.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
No change for me with 3" lift. Normaly get around 20 mpg with winter gas and around 24 mpg with summer gas.
I just filled up yesterday and after 397.6 miles (not my record that's 407) it took 19.343 gallons (20.55 mpg with 95% hwy @ 70 to 75 mph).