Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf progressive aal pk

Old 03-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
09Tacomania's Tacoma Gallery
Wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf progressive aal pk

Wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf progressive leaf pak. Anybody using these? $149.95 Anyone leave the overload spring in with these? If so, does it add lift? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
I've had the wheelers pack in for almost a yr. I've got the factory overload in as well. The overload spring will lift if the same as the thickness of the spring, 1/2 or 5/8" I think it is. I've been happy with the AAL pack as a temporary solution for the rear lift on my truck. It flexes as well as the stock leads I'd say and I don't think it stiffened the unloaded ride noticeably.

That being said I never intended to leave them in permanently either. Waiting for my expo leaf pack right now.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the Icon 3-leaf, very similar to the Wheeler's version and love it. I've got a TSB leaf pack, the 3-leaf AAL and the overload. It rides great, supports weight well and seems to be holding up well so far. I had to do some trimming to make the Icon AAL fit, it was hitting the leaf spring alignment tabs on the stock leaf pack. A few minutes with an angle grinder and they were installed no problem.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Alloynipples is on a distinguished road
Alloynipples's Tacoma Gallery
Just installed mine yesterday. I only had the non tsb springs, left the overload on and ended up with 2 1/2 total lift. Rides great unloaded and drove better than new with 1200# of mulch in there this moring.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I've got the Icon 3-leaf, very similar to the Wheeler's version and love it. I've got a TSB leaf pack, the 3-leaf AAL and the overload. It rides great, supports weight well and seems to be holding up well so far. I had to do some trimming to make the Icon AAL fit, it was hitting the leaf spring alignment tabs on the stock leaf pack. A few minutes with an angle grinder and they were installed no problem.
I failed to mention it to you yesterday at Johns house. Sounds good. I just ordered them to go with my Icons. Will serve the purpose for a while. May be having a mod day in the next month or so at my place in R.I. Thanks bro
Old 03-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alloynipples View Post
Just installed mine yesterday. I only had the non tsb springs, left the overload on and ended up with 2 1/2 total lift. Rides great unloaded and drove better than new with 1200# of mulch in there this moring.
2 1/2 + overload on tsb pak would work. Glad to hear as I haul firewood from time to time. Thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
BigBlueBuck is on a distinguished road
BigBlueBuck's Tacoma Gallery
I have installed this pack -1

I installed the pack but removed the smallest spring. I didnt want the rear end to ride high i just wanted more weight capacity with less sag. To keep the hitch out of the dirt, with my snowmobile in the back. I've found this set-up works great for my needs and rarely hit the bump-stops since where as before id bang them every speed bump when loaded. If you look ive posted picks on here somewhere. Everything else is stock so far.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueBuck View Post
I installed the pack but removed the smallest spring. I didnt want the rear end to ride high i just wanted more weight capacity with less sag. To keep the hitch out of the dirt, with my snowmobile in the back. I've found this set-up works great for my needs and rarely hit the bump-stops since where as before id bang them every speed bump when loaded. If you look ive posted picks on here somewhere. Everything else is stock so far.
Why did you take out the smallest leaf in the AAL? They're thin leafs and help make the leaf pack progressive.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Why did you take out the smallest leaf in the AAL? They're thin leafs and help make the leaf pack progressive.
ditto. and, do you have the TSB ?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:58 AM   #10
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
How many leafs total after install including overload? 5?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
I'm non-tsb. I have the overload left in and the 3 leaf pack. . . The dealer did my lift cuz they were putting on my free tires anyways and i don't think they left all the leaves in. . .

Edit: false alarm, I have six. It was bugging me so I ran out n looked again ha must have overlooked that little one or just losing my mind.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #13

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardsGottaEat View Post
How many leafs total after install including overload? 5?
If you have a TSB pack - 7 total including the overload

If not, 6 total including the overload

The 3 AAL leafs are much thinner than the others though.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #14
BigBlueBuck is on a distinguished road
BigBlueBuck's Tacoma Gallery
shortest straw

Quote:
Just wanted some load support not the height that last leaf in the pack is very small. Your right they are thin ,but they still feel progressive enough for me right now any way. After i finished I ended up more rear high than I wanted so I ordered 5100's all around to help almost level it out and keep the front from bouncing off the skid plate, just haven't installed them.
Attached Thumbnails
Wheelers 1.5" 3 leaf progressive aal pk-p3070035.jpg  
Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #15
backcountryj is on a distinguished road
Name: Jonathan
backcountryj's Tacoma Gallery
Great! Now I'm reconsidering what to do with the rear suspension. I currently have non-tsb leafs that are just about flat without a load (I do run a topper full time though). Was planning on getting the Dakars as I am planning to get the OME kit. Now I'm wondering if I could save some $ by going with the Wheeler's 3 pack AAL or something similar.
I do haul loads from time to time, but 90% of the time, its just the topper out back.
Anyone have any thoughts?
I'd like to do it right the first time, but would like to save some $.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #16

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountryj View Post
Great! Now I'm reconsidering what to do with the rear suspension. I currently have non-tsb leafs that are just about flat without a load (I do run a topper full time though). Was planning on getting the Dakars as I am planning to get the OME kit. Now I'm wondering if I could save some $ by going with the Wheeler's 3 pack AAL or something similar.
I do haul loads from time to time, but 90% of the time, its just the topper out back.
Anyone have any thoughts?
I'd like to do it right the first time, but would like to save some $.
I have a similar setup. I have a shell on full time with a 3/4" plywood platform with tools underneath. I kept the overload in place with the 3-leaf AAL so I gained closer to 2" unloaded, settled a little with the shell and platform. Right now, I've got my truck loaded with firewood for a trip to NY and it rides great, still not on the overload. I do tow with it fairly frequently and the leaf pack holds up very well. If you do haul, I'd keep the thick overload in place, otherwise take it out for more flex off road. The only difference between you and I is I started with a TSB leaf pack.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #17
backcountryj is on a distinguished road
Name: Jonathan
backcountryj's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not too concerned with offroad flexing. My main goal when I started lift shopping was to beef up the rear leafs. I was and still am leery of AAL. I'm concerned that since my leaf springs are already crap, would the AAL on be a short term fix? I don't want to have to replace AAL every 2 years, hence my thought of Dakars. But they are pricey.
What would you think the longevity of the Wheelers 3-leaf to be? And would the OME front end w/o the spacer be too much lift to go with the 1.5" wheeler 3-leaf AAL? Definitely DO NOT want to be nose high. I actually like the factory rake.
I tried to call Wheelers, but their not open today.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #18

hey PUGGA, did you use the same shims ( 3 degree ) that you put in Aidenhardcores, with the aal ? i Have the Wheelers 3pk readyto install. Should i get the shims ? I would think so ?????? Not sure
Old 03-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Best AAL's on the market IMO. I have almost 50k on mine and they ride great. They are getting a little frowny, but for the money I spent and what I did with them I'm very happy with the purchase. I only remember hitting the bump stops once (on road) and that was when I had a bed full of river rocks that weighed more then I should of been carrying.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Tacomania View Post
hey PUGGA, did you use the same shims ( 3 degree ) that you put in Aidenhardcores, with the aal ? i Have the Wheelers 3pk readyto install. Should i get the shims ? I would think so ?????? Not sure
bump