Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Future father with suspension problem needs help

Old 03-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #21
DDZPyrite will become famous soon enough

DDZPyrite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
Air pressure? Did the op even read my comment?
Yes, I did read your comment and I actually checked them yesterday (forgot to mention that). They were 29 psi in front and 30 psi in rear (door sticker says 29f 32r) so I inflated 2 psi in there rear. Not much difference though thanks anyway.

BTW who/what is OP?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:38 AM   #22
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDZPyrite View Post
Yes, I did read your comment and I actually checked them yesterday (forgot to mention that). They were 29 psi in front and 30 psi in rear (door sticker says 29f 32r) so I inflated 2 psi in there rear. Not much difference though thanks anyway.

BTW who/what is OP?
OP = Original Poster (Person who started the thread)

You should either have the same pressure in the rear or a little lower than the front. The back end is a lot lighter than the front and doesn't need as much pressure unless you're towing or hauling. I'd drop them all to around 29 - 30 PSI (not that 2 PSI makes too much of a difference).
Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #23
I'm a zit. Get it?
jgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjgwheeler17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jgwheeler17's Tacoma Gallery
how about some billstiens 5100's all around, with the front set at 0 with some OME 885 coils? add zombies suggestion of the 3 leaf pack and it should be much better. . .
Old 03-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #24
Are these black helicopters for me?
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
But how do you lift the front without making it stiffer? Any of the aftermarket coils have a higher spring rate than the stock coils.
you shouldnt need to lift the front if you dont want. The tsb leaf pack adds around 1.5" of lift and most people dont lift their trucks with that.

if you remove the OL, that will drop the back around 1/2" to 3/4", add the 1.5" 3 aal pack and you only gain maybe an inch. that would be lifting it less than what the standard TSB pack would.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #25
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwheeler17 View Post
how about some billstiens 5100's all around, with the front set at 0 with some OME 885 coils? add zombies suggestion of the 3 leaf pack and it should be much better. . .
I'd probably even do the 884 coils if he is wanting it softer.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:58 AM   #26
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Runner View Post
you shouldnt need to lift the front if you dont want. The tsb leaf pack adds around 1.5" of lift and most people dont lift their trucks with that.

if you remove the OL, that will drop the back around 1/2" to 3/4", add the 1.5" 3 aal pack and you only gain maybe an inch. that would be lifting it less than what the standard TSB pack would.
The 1.5" with the Wheeler's AAL I thought was with the overload leaf in place (that's how it is with the Icon 3-leaf version). I kept the overload in place and gained a lot closer to 2" in the rear.

I suppose you could lift the rear 1.5" and not do anything with the front but it'll look weird unloaded I'd think...

Quote:
I'd probably even do the 884 coils if he is wanting it softer.
885's and 884's have the same spring rate, both being higher than stock.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #27
Nikki08 has much to be proud ofNikki08 has much to be proud ofNikki08 has much to be proud ofNikki08 has much to be proud ofNikki08 has much to be proud ofNikki08 has much to be proud ofNikki08 has much to be proud ofNikki08 has much to be proud ofNikki08 has much to be proud of

Name: Nikki
Nikki08's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know the difference between the ride quality of the models but personally I like the way my 08' trd sport rides both before and after my lift (OME lift w/885's..)

BUT my opinion as a girl- She's only 10 weeks and is complaining about the ride quality.. Maybe swap some stuff out like everyone is saying or wait for the newness to settle but I wouldn't go for a lift just yet. Point being, can you imagine being 8-9 months prego and trying to hop in a lifted truck?? Even just a small lift? I plan to rock it "one day" but I can imagine how bad it could suck...
Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
I have a spectacular aura
Bryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud ofBryan139 has much to be proud of

Bryan139's Tacoma Gallery
Why does it have to be an 885 or 884 at all?

Try calling Moog's customer service. I see their name everywhere for oem replacements. I'd bet money they have a coil with the same diameter and hight, you just a different rate.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #29
Gabe911 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe911 has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Gabe911's Tacoma Gallery
OME is soft as butter!! My prego has no issues getting in or out either...just grap the OS handles on the way up!!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #30
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
I cannot even believe that anyone is suggesting an off-road suspension such as OME or any other spring/coil combination to you when you already find the ride stock out of the box is already too stiff.

All these springs, including the "legendary" OME, have stiffer spring rates than stock! Some of them are MUCH stiffer!!

The only time an off road suspension "improves" the ride is:

1. You LIKE a "firmer" more "in control" feeling and do NOT like the "floating" feeling.
2. You're loaded so heavily, or on such a rough road, that you're hitting the bumpstops. That's the situation the stiffer off road suspension is designed for, and comes into its element. But that does NOT sound like what's happening here.

Now, the TRD Off-Road does have a "progressive" spring/shock in the front. So if you want to swap front spring/shocks with an SR5 or TRD Sport owner, that might be a win for you. Maybe.

Easiest answer? As suggested above, throw a couple hundred pounds of sandbags in the back over the axle. If that doesn't do it for you - take your wife's car for the duration of the pregnancy.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #31

Quote:
The 1.5" with the Wheeler's AAL I thought was with the overload leaf in place (that's how it is with the Icon 3-leaf version). I kept the overload in place and gained a lot closer to 2" in the rear.

you are correct. 1.5" lift from stock (that includes the OL still in place)
remove the OL and swap it for the 3aal and you will only gain minimal lift in the rear. less than what the TSB pack would do.

I suppose you could lift the rear 1.5" and not do anything with the front but it'll look weird unloaded I'd think...

look at any stock taco. the rear is always higher. the TSB makes it silly tall. I couldnt stand mine so I just got done adding 5100's to the front to level it out. TSB + billys at 2.5" will make a level truck.

885's and 884's have the same spring rate, both being higher than stock.
so what id the difference between the 884 and 885? are the 884's just a shorter coil?
replied in red
Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #32
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Who told you the 5100s are stiffer?

Set at stock height, 5100s give a much better ride than the HD Bilsteins that come stock on TRD ORs. Even comparing my lifted '00, it rides better than my stock 2010

OP, I'd say go for 5100s. Lifting the truck generally makes it stiffer- the only way around that would be to drop some $$$ and get yourself coilovers with matching rear shocks/ a nice leaf pack, but that's in the $1000s

set the front 5100's to stock, get the normal 5100s from downsouth motorsports, and off you go. Give em a call, they've helped tons of members on here with their shock needs; they can talk you through what you need versus what your budget will allow.
This 1,000,000,000 %
Old 03-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
Plannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPlannerman99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Plannerman99's Tacoma Gallery
Here's an easy thing to try: try driving more gently. I remember when wife was pregnant she was also very sensitive to rough rides. So I changed my driving style, accelerating more softly, braking easier, turning slower. Did wonders for the mrs.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #34

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
replied in red
Hmm... I guess the Wheeler's and Icon 3-leaf AALs are different afterall! Everyone kept telling me their the same but the Icon gets you 1.5" with the OL removed.

My TSB set was kind of disappointing. I didn't really notice a real gain in height and it flattened out pretty quickly. I never really experienced the big height gain that others got post TSB.

The difference between the 884's and 885's is 10mm in coil height or just under 1/2". Both have the same spring rate. Spring rate only jumps with 886's, they're 10mm taller yet and are a lot stiffer.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #35

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I cannot even believe that anyone is suggesting an off-road suspension such as OME or any other spring/coil combination to you when you already find the ride stock out of the box is already too stiff.

All these springs, including the "legendary" OME, have stiffer spring rates than stock! Some of them are MUCH stiffer!!

The only time an off road suspension "improves" the ride is:

1. You LIKE a "firmer" more "in control" feeling and do NOT like the "floating" feeling.
2. You're loaded so heavily, or on such a rough road, that you're hitting the bumpstops. That's the situation the stiffer off road suspension is designed for, and comes into its element. But that does NOT sound like what's happening here.

Now, the TRD Off-Road does have a "progressive" spring/shock in the front. So if you want to swap front spring/shocks with an SR5 or TRD Sport owner, that might be a win for you. Maybe.

Easiest answer? As suggested above, throw a couple hundred pounds of sandbags in the back over the axle. If that doesn't do it for you - take your wife's car for the duration of the pregnancy.
THANK YOU BJ MOOSE!!! That's what I've been trying to say!
Old 03-14-2012, 12:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Hmm... I guess the Wheeler's and Icon 3-leaf AALs are different afterall! Everyone kept telling me their the same but the Icon gets you 1.5" with the OL removed.

My TSB set was kind of disappointing. I didn't really notice a real gain in height and it flattened out pretty quickly. I never really experienced the big height gain that others got post TSB.

The difference between the 884's and 885's is 10mm in coil height or just under 1/2". Both have the same spring rate. Spring rate only jumps with 886's, they're 10mm taller yet and are a lot stiffer.
gotcha. thanks for schoolin me on the OME's

for the rear I had a toytec 1.5" aal. I ditched that and the OL and added the wheelers 3aal and my rear end stayed the same height.

aw fuck, I'm confusing myself now. I need sleep
Old 03-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #37

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
gotcha. thanks for schoolin me on the OME's

for the rear I had a toytec 1.5" aal. I ditched that and the OL and added the wheelers 3aal and my rear end stayed the same height.

aw fuck, I'm confusing myself now. I need sleep

I agree with you though, the 3-leaf AALs are like butter!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #38
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
In general a lift is the LAST thing you need! Just cruised in a work friends stock TRD it's an 04 but it was pretty soft but nothing compared to a car.....that's what you have to remember! Its possible she's real sensative right now and you'll just be constantly chasing a soft feel and never find it with a lift!
Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #39
DDZPyrite will become famous soon enough

DDZPyrite's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you all for the responses. It seems there are differences in opinion regarding the Bilstein 5100. I certainly don't want a "floating" feel to my ride because I know that will not crossover to off road terrain very well, which will defeat the whole purpose of getting the OR package in the first place. I was hoping the Bilstein 5100 would be the answer.

I will certainly adjust my driving habits to suit my wife's needs. I'm also gonna wait to see if the ride improves after it gets broken in. I've been intentionally driving over pot holes and rough patches in the rode to expedite the break-in period. If I get a chance I will take a trip to the trails and try "flexing" the suspension as one poster suggested. (the break-in theory sounds logical enough to me to try it)

With all the information I have received, I am extremely interested in the Bilstein 5100. I don't know anyone locally that has them, so I can't take a test ride. Overall the consensus seems to be favorable and so I will do more research regarding this product. Again thank you all for your comments it is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #40
A1engineer is on a distinguished road
A1engineer's Tacoma Gallery
A1engineer

I was looking forward to the awnser to your question. Did you ever try any of these guesses and did any of them give you the results you were looking for?