Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift Noob...

Old 03-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Huge Member
ScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the roughScreamingTaco is a jewel in the rough

Army:
ScreamingTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Lift Noob...

After high centring my truck a few times I'm looking to get a bit more distance between me and the ground. I'm looking to upsize to 33" tires and install a 3" front/1.5" to 2.5 in rear lift (I'd like to preserve as much of the stock rake as possible so that the truck doesn't look stupid when loaded).

I've never installed a lift myself. I talked to the dealership about a warranty preserving lift but they seem pretty intent on installing spacers/blocks. I don't have much experience with a spacers/block setup, but it seems like it'd compromise the ride of the truck to me.

After reading up a bit I'm leaning towards a coil over kit up front and either an AAL or a complete new leaf pack in the rear. I have a bit of money I can use on this and don't really want to cheap out... but I have no requirement to build a rock crawler or desert race truck either. I just want a daily driver that I can have fun in on the weekend running trails and/or hunting off the beaten track.

With this in mind, I have a couple of questions;

1) What is the performance difference between using something like a Blistein 5100 vs a complete aftermarket coil over?

2) Will changing the back spacing on my rims be enough to clear the body mounts with 33" tires? Will I still clear the fender?

3) Icon has an AAL pack that replaces the overload springs in the stock leaf spring pack... how would this compare to a complete set of rear springs?

4) Can anyone recommend a complete kit for the front and/or rear? This will be my first time installing my own lift and I'd like to keep the process as simple as possible.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know why dealerships suggest spacers, they're the worst thing for the truck? Yes, in my opinion the coilovers out perform 5100's any day!

Do I like my 5100's? YES!

Have I out grown them and/or seeking more performance now that I've had them for awhile? YES!

It's better to do it right the first time and not think about it again! You will have to do some trimming to run the 33's but mostly plastic fender cutting and if you keep it around 2.5" lift should be ok on alignment!

It's really not that much more to get a pair of non-resi coilovers, a 3 leaf aal and some good rear shocks! Prob looking at $1300 and with venders on here offering 10% discounts and free shipping...you're set!

PS - In April I'll prob be selling my wheelers 3 leaf aal added to a pair of brand new springs and 9.25" 5125's....hit me up!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
Gabe911 has a spectacular aura aboutGabe911 has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Gabe911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingTaco View Post
After high centring my truck a few times I'm looking to get a bit more distance between me and the ground. I'm looking to upsize to 33" tires and install a 3" front/1.5" to 2.5 in rear lift (I'd like to preserve as much of the stock rake as possible so that the truck doesn't look stupid when loaded).

I've never installed a lift myself. I talked to the dealership about a warranty preserving lift but they seem pretty intent on installing spacers/blocks. I don't have much experience with a spacers/block setup, but it seems like it'd compromise the ride of the truck to me.

After reading up a bit I'm leaning towards a coil over kit up front and either an AAL or a complete new leaf pack in the rear. I have a bit of money I can use on this and don't really want to cheap out... but I have no requirement to build a rock crawler or desert race truck either. I just want a daily driver that I can have fun in on the weekend running trails and/or hunting off the beaten track.

With this in mind, I have a couple of questions;

1) What is the performance difference between using something like a Blistein 5100 vs a complete aftermarket coil over?

Adjustability, cost, appearence

2) Will changing the back spacing on my rims be enough to clear the body mounts with 33" tires? Will I still clear the fender?

should be ..not all trucks are the same

3) Icon has an AAL pack that replaces the overload springs in the stock leaf spring pack... how would this compare to a complete set of rear springs?
A complete leaf pack set is usually a better ride quality than AAL

4) Can anyone recommend a complete kit for the front and/or rear? This will be my first time installing my own lift and I'd like to keep the process as simple as possible.
OME 3" lift w AAL ...for the money is awesome..I love mine
Old 03-14-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe911 View Post
OME 3" lift w AAL ...for the money is awesome..I love mine
Same, Get it from Wheelersoffroad.com