1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift Noob...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by ScreamingTaco, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Mar 13, 2012 at 10:52 PM
    ScreamingTaco

ScreamingTaco [OP] Huge Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road AC
    Goodyear Duratracs, TRD cat-back exhaust, bed tool box, bed extender.
    After high centring my truck a few times I'm looking to get a bit more distance between me and the ground. I'm looking to upsize to 33" tires and install a 3" front/1.5" to 2.5 in rear lift (I'd like to preserve as much of the stock rake as possible so that the truck doesn't look stupid when loaded).

I've never installed a lift myself. I talked to the dealership about a warranty preserving lift but they seem pretty intent on installing spacers/blocks. I don't have much experience with a spacers/block setup, but it seems like it'd compromise the ride of the truck to me.

After reading up a bit I'm leaning towards a coil over kit up front and either an AAL or a complete new leaf pack in the rear. I have a bit of money I can use on this and don't really want to cheap out... but I have no requirement to build a rock crawler or desert race truck either. I just want a daily driver that I can have fun in on the weekend running trails and/or hunting off the beaten track.

With this in mind, I have a couple of questions;

1) What is the performance difference between using something like a Blistein 5100 vs a complete aftermarket coil over?

2) Will changing the back spacing on my rims be enough to clear the body mounts with 33" tires? Will I still clear the fender?

3) Icon has an AAL pack that replaces the overload springs in the stock leaf spring pack... how would this compare to a complete set of rear springs?

4) Can anyone recommend a complete kit for the front and/or rear? This will be my first time installing my own lift and I'd like to keep the process as simple as possible.

2. Mar 13, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    Sublime

Sublime Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 4x4
    Icon/All Pro.....chopped for 35's
    Don't know why dealerships suggest spacers, they're the worst thing for the truck? Yes, in my opinion the coilovers out perform 5100's any day!

Do I like my 5100's? YES!

Have I out grown them and/or seeking more performance now that I've had them for awhile? YES!

It's better to do it right the first time and not think about it again! You will have to do some trimming to run the 33's but mostly plastic fender cutting and if you keep it around 2.5" lift should be ok on alignment!

It's really not that much more to get a pair of non-resi coilovers, a 3 leaf aal and some good rear shocks! Prob looking at $1300 and with venders on here offering 10% discounts and free shipping...you're set!

PS - In April I'll prob be selling my wheelers 3 leaf aal added to a pair of brand new springs and 9.25" 5125's....hit me up!

3. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:54 AM
    Gabe911

Gabe911 Well-Known Member

Member:
    FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner MGM
    Debadged, Rear TSB, Blue LED dome and Bright White Map Lights, Hard Top Tonneau Cover, OME885 coils (no top plate spacers)OME shocks and struts, 1.5" AAL for TSB Rear,285/70/17 Trail Grapplers, 17x9 XD Addicts with 4.5 bs, Black 4" exhaust tip, Bed pocket lights, rear diff breather Mod
    OME 3" lift w AAL ...for the money is awesome..I love mine

4. Mar 14, 2012 at 8:03 AM
    PrezidentRedz

PrezidentRedz Uncivilized Creations Prez

Member:
    First Name:
    Redz
    Owings, MD
    Vehicle:
    00 Taco 4x4 Xtra Cab, Locked and Lifted.
    Custom Everything! WHAT º¿º
    Same, Get it from Wheelersoffroad.com

Products Discussed in

To Top