Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

I don't understand alignment issue

Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
schleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to behold

Name: Daniel
schleygo's Tacoma Gallery
I don't understand alignment issue

I searched and searched, but it seems like everyone's alignment issue is unique.

I just did the alignment after Toytec's Eibach spring and 5100s set at .85 and 2" AAL in the rear w 5100s. Then I put on FJ cruiser offroad wheels and 285/75/16 Terra Grapplers when this was aligned

The owner of NTB is saying the front angle is "maxed out" and I need to go to the dealership and "have them put shims in to make it correct". WTH???? I know how to do most basic maintenance, but I am lost on this.

Is he blowing smoke up my culo????

thanks
Old 03-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
schleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to beholdschleygo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
Probably need UCAs - Got about 3 inches of lift outta that set up...Right??
Close to it.

I was trying to go budget...............99% on road. I thought this would be economical and look good.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
to get the allignment perfect on 2nd gens with a 3 inch lift sometimes you need ucas.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

It would be cool if someone could make a sticky about how to read these things so goofballs like me can figure it out easily.

With my numbers, is this worrysome, or can I ride for now??
Old 03-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleygo View Post
It would be cool if someone could make a sticky about how to read these things so goofballs like me can figure it out easily.

Drive it and see what you think. Typically for a lifted 2nd Gen, you want the Caster to be about a degree higher than what you're showing. Caster, however does not cause unever tire wear. What your shop may have done is sacrifice some camber to gain more adjustment in the caster. Camber DOES cause unever tire wear. Toe is good at 0.

As far as safety goes, you're fine, you might have a little unever tire wear on the outside edge of your tires over time because of the camber dialed in. If you feel a 'wandering' feeling at speed, that's because your caster is too low and the solution is drop the 5100's down to 0 or get new UCA's.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
yeah, even with 3 in lift, u should be able to get camber down to 0 or damn close to it. to get caster where its not squirrely when u drive, u probably need UCAs
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
He sacraficed camber to get you a little more caster.

Caster keeps your car from wandering and requiring constant steering input. Camber is the top of the tire tilting out or in, more or less.

Camber is a wear angle, caster not really. With that much positive camber your tires will end up looking like this \ / and they will wear excessively on the outside edges.

You can't add any shims to these trucks, the only fix is to take out some caster so you can get camber closer to 0*, then your tires won't wear but your truck will probably track poorly.

Or get UCAs and you can get caster and camber to optimum.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleygo View Post

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...uide-read.html

Here's a sticky and talks about UCA's and alignment! Been discussed in great detail in suspension threads too! That alignment shop sucks and I'd take it back and have them re-do it! Camber needs to come back down to 0 but caster will be affected! It should be "OK" after that but then you'll notice the low caster issues and start saving for new UCA's! Good luck man!
Old 03-14-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
amain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shedamain is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
amain's Tacoma Gallery
I would recommend UCA's also. You may have some bump steer with those specs.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:51 AM   #13
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I ran stock uca's on a spacer lift and it was fine.....never asked what the specs were though! Once the uca's went on it was a world of difference! Worth every penny man!