Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

diff lock question

Old 12-13-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
diff lock question

I can't seem to get a good answer, If I found a donor truck with the diff lock option, wouldn't it be possiblr to swap the entire rear end and then wire it as long as the front diff had the same gear ratio? Or it would be possible to change front diff gears to match the rear, all on a tacoma 4x4 with an open diff??
Old 12-13-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Yeah if its the same gear ratio as the front it works, if not then you have to smap out the front gears, and yeah if you wire it right it should work ok
Old 12-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
The Cooler King
Dustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of lightDustin03 is a glorious beacon of light

Dustin03's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Dustin03
^^^ I agree. It should be just a matter of getting the wiring right. But I wouldn't try it with one of the 2nd Gens... God knows what Toyota told the computer to look after on those things!
Old 12-13-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like it would work if the gears were the same. Keep us posted on how it works out and good luck.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin03 View Post
^^^ i agree. It should be just a matter of getting the wiring right. But i wouldn't try it with one of the 2nd gens... god knows what toyota told the computer to look after on those things!
lmao!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't think it would be too bad on a 2nd gen. I wouldn't wire it the way toyota did anyway. Its probably the same 3rd member as the 1st gen. anyway. I don't think Toyota has changed rear axles in quite some time
Old 12-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #7
all.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shedall.on.black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

all.on.black's Tacoma Gallery
If you're interested in the swap, this might be of some help. I've already swapped my LSD axle for a locker one.
http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...70#post1167270
Old 12-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #9
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
^ I would think you could, might be hard to find an axle tho, I called South Island Imports the other day and they didn't have anything, said they were rare for the newer style, I wonder if you could use an older 3rd member tho?
Old 12-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Found axle on an internet used part search, out of a 2003, elocker, no ABS hook-up and 4.10 gears$750.00 plus shipping . Out of Arkansas. From what I have read, you need the 4x4 computer and hope to god your Truck came semi-pre wired fro the diff lock, I think most trucks come with some already, as long as it's a 4x4. Still thinking about the swap.....