1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dakar Questions, Post Delivery

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by backcountryj, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Mar 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM
    backcountryj

backcountryj [OP] Pending Approval

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    So I just received my full OME kit from Toytec.
    As I unpacked the new Dakars, I noticed one of the plastic pieces around the springs was broken on one side(pic #1). Will this negatively affect anything like performance, longevity, pre-mature squeaking? Should I contact Toytec? Or is it simply cosmetic and should I forget about it and install as is?
    IMG_0636.jpg

Toytec already installed the bushings in the new leaf pack, which is sweet. And it looks like they installed the center pin collar to accommodate for the axle shims(pic #2, please correct me if I'm wrong). Do I even need the long center pins that came with the shim kit or are they just an extra now?
    IMG_0641.jpg

Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Mar 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    That isolator keeps the leafs from squeaking on the retainer , if it looks like it will stay in there , it's fine

You never needed extra centre pins , just the collars and that's been taken care of

Malkin sucks

3. Mar 22, 2012 at 12:24 PM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    Thanks Peter. I'm going to call Toytec and see if they could mail me a replacement.

4. Mar 22, 2012 at 1:00 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    Those plastic pieces are on odd extra thing that OME puts on the Dakar packs. They are not necessary, and getting a replacement piece is near impossible.

5. Mar 22, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    They don't act as a silencer between the retainer and the leafs ?

My Dakar pack had one retainer hoop cockeyed and was squeaking until I re-aligned it , I assumed the plastic was there to isolate the hoop from the leafs , I don't know why else they would put them in there .

6. Mar 22, 2012 at 3:47 PM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    That is the idea, but no other spring that I know of except the Dakars have it. As long as there is a bit of a gap between the clamp and the leafs, there shouldn't be any noise.

7. Mar 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM
    backcountryj

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    GA
    So I called Toytec about the broken isolator and I was given a bit of a cold shoulder. I didn't catch the guys name, but he said that half the time those pieces are broken when they get Dakars from ARB.
    Regardless, I got a phone number for ARB and called them. Spoke with a tech there and gave him my mailing info. They should be sending me the part tomorrow.
    In the end, I'm not overly fond of the attitude I received from Toytec, especially considering I just spent $1300+ on parts from them.
    Props to ARB though.
    For those with this issue in the future, I'd recommend calling ARB.

Products Discussed in

To Top