Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Billstein 5100 easy install method

Old 04-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
Holyfather is on a distinguished road
Holyfather's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by db View Post
I made this video and I have used this method several times. BTW I have used this method with OME 885 springs and it works well.

But the admins here said I cannot post my video because they think it is dangerous and a liability even though I provided a warning on the video.
I agree. I used this method without spring compressors and felt perfectly safe doing it. When I need new shocks I will do it this way again.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 PM   #22
dmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud of

Air Force: Metal's Tech
dmb's Tacoma Gallery
I used this method over the weekend to put OME 885x's on my 5100s. Worked like a charm. Definitely beats paying a shop to take them out and put them back together.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #23
1FSTLS1 is on a distinguished road

1FSTLS1's Tacoma Gallery
Any one done this method with the Eibach springs. I am assuming it will work.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #24
Holyfather is on a distinguished road
Holyfather's Tacoma Gallery
No I used my stock springs
Old 04-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #25
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Used this method last night to help a fellow TW user install 5100's and OME 885 coils on his tacoma. It worked awesome! I've always used spring compressors to do the installs. I didn't even have to pull them out of the tool box.

I have done more suspension jobs than I can count over the years both lifting and lowering vehicles and IMO this is much much safer than using spring compressors.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #26
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5tacoma View Post
so i'm confused this is legit or should you not do it this way. I have a set of 5100 and eibach that i need to put on and this seems more convinient than driving into town and paying 400 bucks
totaly legit. I did mine this way and it worked great. No spring compressor needed

I kept putting off my install untill I found this video.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Its funny. I have got nothing but good comments on my video from people who have tried this method.

But the admins feel that it's too dangerous. That's fine, I am just glad they are no longer closing threads that discuss this method.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #28
socal147 is on a distinguished road
Name: patrick
socal147's Tacoma Gallery
I did it today. Total control over spring decompression.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #29
Swampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
Swampmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. When i get my OME front shocks in im going this route with my 885s. Just not clear on where to mark tabs. they already marked from the factory. Do i just mark them to make sure i put them back in the right position when i tighten them back?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #30
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Yep.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #31
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
On my previous Tacoma, I had the 5100s at all three settings so I have a good bit of experience doing this install with a compressor. Today, I removed my 2" spacer lift that was on my truck when I bought it and installed OME 885 springs using the method in the video. Much easier doing it this way.

One note: I did not loosen the alignment bolts in the lower control arm. When I needed more droop I just used my pry bar to push down on the lower arm. My pry bar comes to a point on the end. I just put the end in one of the holes in the lower control arm and pushed down. I'm going to have to have an alignment anyway since the 885s lifted my truck about 1/2" more, but I didn't want to fool with alignment bolts.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #32
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
So the REAL WORLD consensus is IT'S MUCH SAFER AND EASIER THIS WAY!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:26 AM   #33
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
I used this method after watching this video and it is by far safer and easier then using a spring compressor.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:44 AM   #34
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The only way this method could become unsafe is if you were trying to remove a spring that was so long that it still had tension on it after you were at full droop.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:53 AM   #35
Stockmonester is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Stockmonester's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stockmonester
instead of loosen the lower control arm couldnt you just lift up the entire upper control arm assembly with the floor jack to get more clearence to take the shock assembly out?
Old 04-27-2012, 06:57 AM   #36
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmonester View Post
instead of loosen the lower control arm couldnt you just lift up the entire upper control arm assembly with the floor jack to get more clearence to take the shock assembly out?
That won't help, because the spring/shock assembly is held in place by the upper strut mount and the lower control arm. The only way to get the spring/shock out is to get the lower control arm to move down further. Like I said above, I didn't loosen the bolts in the lower control arm.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #37
Swampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwampmonkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
Swampmonkey's Tacoma Gallery
Used this method last night to install my 885s and ome 90000 shocks, and yes much easier for backyard install.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM   #38
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
I used this method last weekend to install Bilsteins. Works perfect and safe as can be. Be sure to follow the video to the letter and mark the LCA adjustments with white paint before you loosen them.

I went and had the alignment done at Les Schwab yesterday and the cambers weren't even off.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #39
MikeluvstheTaco is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
MikeluvstheTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I did this yesterday, it was a bit of a pain. Things that helped me were taking off the sway bar bushings, this helped with sliding the coil downwards because it was easier to move the spindle around. I used a block of wood as well to pry down the lower control arm, it was stubborn. Thanks for posting this! Saved me 625 for front and back (quoted at the stealership)
Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #40
Reaper
09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough09 Redneck is a jewel in the rough
09 Redneck's Tacoma Gallery
subd