Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Billstein 5100 easy install method

Old 05-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #41
Uplander is on a distinguished road
Uplander's Tacoma Gallery
Just put on my 5100's set at .85". This video really helped me out and it was completely safe and easy to do. At no time was there any chance of having the spring fly off. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:20 PM   #42
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be trying this out tomorrow. Having had a spring slip off one of those crappy dual screw compressors, I was not looking forward to using one again!
Old 05-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #43
bunsojr is a jewel in the roughbunsojr is a jewel in the roughbunsojr is a jewel in the rough
bunsojr's Tacoma Gallery
would our stock jack be sufficient to use for this method?
Old 05-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #44
Holyfather is on a distinguished road
Holyfather's Tacoma Gallery
It might but i suspect that the stock jack might not go high enough ...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #45
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunsojr View Post
No, please don't try it. You should really use a floor jack.

A lot of people think this method is unsafe. I made the video and I think it is safe if you follow the instructions. But using the stock jack (which is a screw type, not hydraulic) may not work and could cause injury. A floor jack is much more stable because it has a much greater surface area on the floor and on the LCA.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:41 PM   #46
caffeine nicotine gasoline
livel0veryde is on a distinguished road

Name: josh Rockett
livel0veryde's Tacoma Gallery
this is how i did mine..pretty easy install
Old 05-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #47
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunsojr View Post
Bite the bullet and buy a good floor jack. It's one of the best tools I ever invested in. I have two of them. You will use it over and over again if you like to do your own work. I can't imagine being without one.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #48
Stockmonester is on a distinguished road
Name: Nick
Stockmonester's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Stockmonester
when i jack up on the lca to compress the spring the whole side of the truck lifts up and doesn't look like the spring is compressing, the top nut on the shock doesnt look like it is moving. Am i doing it right or am i missing something?
Old 06-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #49
ae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shedae111black is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kimo
ae111black's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet I wish I saw the Video before I did mine. All it cost me was 2 cold packs of beer to use my friends wall mounted spring compressor but the OP's method looks super safe and easy.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #50
BTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to allBTO is a name known to all

Army: 3rd Infantry Division
BTO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmonester View Post
when i jack up on the lca to compress the spring the whole side of the truck lifts up and doesn't look like the spring is compressing, the top nut on the shock doesnt look like it is moving. Am i doing it right or am i missing something?
You are not understanding the concept behind this method. You are not supposed to compress the spring. This method is about slowly releasing the spring tension it already has.

You jack up the truck (on the frame) till the wheels are off the ground and put on jackstands. Then you put the jack under the LCA to support it (it's being pushed down by the spring). Only jack the LCA a slight amount and then remove the two LCA bolts by the ball joint. You then slowly let the jack down which slowly releases the spring tension.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 PM   #51
That's what i did, the video shows the complete shock moving up that's what got me confused. So i was doing it right then just wanted to double check
Old 06-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #52
When I did mine it did that too. If you can get it up enough to get some of the threads through the top you can just tighten the nut to get it the rest of the way.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #53
jerlane is on a distinguished road
jerlane's Tacoma Gallery
I just posted a question on the original thread, but there seems to be more activity here... Are people all using a torque wrench when putting everything back together or just cranking everything tight by hand or with an impact wrench. Can anyone clarify what and where to mark the spindle? When loosening the LCA?
Thanks!
Old 06-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #54
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

Name: Daniel
hillbillytoyo's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the 5100's today using this method and everthing went great. Thanks guys.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
I just posted a question on the original thread, but there seems to be more activity here... Are people all using a torque wrench when putting everything back together or just cranking everything tight by hand or with an impact wrench. Can anyone clarify what and where to mark the spindle? When loosening the LCA?
Thanks!
I just cranked them down. Haven't had any problems with things coming loose but others might insist on using a torque wrench. Mine was premarked with yellow paint so I didn't have to mark mine. Also things lined right back up when I put it back together
Old 06-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #56
hillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant futurehillbillytoyo has a brilliant future

I anstalled my 5100's yesterday and took my truck in for an alignment today and they said they didn't know if they can get the camber down that much or not. What should I do?
Old 06-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #57
so im taking my front end apart loosening the top nut on the shock and its to the point where i cant hold the top of the shock from spinning can someone give me some insight? and yes im a noob at this
Old 06-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #58

If you don't plan on re-using the old shock you could cut the plastic and hold the shock with a pair of pliers
Old 06-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #59
Raz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaz4back is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brett
Raz4back's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockmonester View Post
so im taking my front end apart loosening the top nut on the shock and its to the point where i cant hold the top of the shock from spinning can someone give me some insight? and yes im a noob at this
I used needle nose vise grips and held by the top. Once the nut is backed off too far to fold it this way, move the vise grips below the nut and clamp them on the threads.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #60
cro is on a distinguished road
cro's Tacoma Gallery
Hi all long time reader and first time poster. I finally installed 5100 on my truck yesterday using the method in the video. eg no spring compressor.
I got a quote to have toyota do it and I said no way to $550 for just the fronts.

At no time did I feel this method was dangerous at all. slowly lowering the LCA to take the pressure of the spring is very easy and a great way to do it.

A couple of tips I would suggest though

1. dont try and do this without moving the sway bar out of the way it makes life so much easier if you do.
2. I tried the push the LCA down without loosening the adjustment bolts but found it impossible to get enough room to put the strut back in. I did however only loosen the rear adjustment bolt after marking them correctly.

Thanks for the video and tips it made life much easier and cheaper.