Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Getting 5100's?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
RubberTank is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
RubberTank's Tacoma Gallery
Getting 5100's?

So it time for me to get a new set of shocks (got 90K miles and broken rear shock).

I dont offroad much and dont have a lot to spend on shocks, so would this be a good buy for me:

http://downsouthmotorsports.com/i-13...djustable.html

also will the rear shock be the right length?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
tacoma16's Tacoma Gallery
as far as i know you should be good to go. If you set the shocks to 0 u will obtain stock ride height and have a great ride. the rears you should be fine. I believe the shocks are only adjustable in the front so the lift people get in the rear is from an add a leaf or a new leaf pack.

This is wat i know for 2nd gens atleats. dont no what you are.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Those would be ideal. You may even bump the 5100s to the first notch for a more aggressive stance.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
Tbones taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Tony
Tbones taco's Tacoma Gallery
That is correct. I just lifted my with the 5100's and on 0 you will keep the stock set up. I oppted to use an add a leaf from Pro comp. It was only another $79 more for the leafs. They are the right choice for the money.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
tacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma16 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

if you wanted to really upgrade everything you could do the add a leaf and get new coils as well (as stated above). But if you dont have the funds to do it all in one shot, the billies at 0 will be a great improvement for a pretty good price. You can alwasy get the coils and an add a leaf down the road, and adjust the billies as needed.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
RubberTank is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
RubberTank's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone, and yeah im second gen. Got a 2007 2wd Prerunner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma16 View Post
if you wanted to really upgrade everything you could do the add a leaf and get new coils as well (as stated above). But if you dont have the funds to do it all in one shot, the billies at 0 will be a great improvement for a pretty good price. You can alwasy get the coils and an add a leaf down the road, and adjust the billies as needed.
thats most likely my route, I was gonna do it all in one shot, but since I broke my rear left shock I can't wait anymore lol.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberTank View Post
thats most likely my route, I was gonna do it all in one shot, but since I broke my rear left shock I can't wait anymore lol.
Yea a broken shock is a good exscuse to upgrade . Good thing about the billies, is you can lift your truck in sections
Old 03-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #8
Cybertronian Tacoma
TacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaPrime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
TacomaPrime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
Those would be ideal. You may even bump the 5100s to the first notch for a more aggressive stance.

can you do that without getting driveline vibes?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Yes you can, properly torque all nuts & bolts, get an alignmnent and rebalance your tires. Vibes usually come from 2.5" of lift & up but I'm fairly certain you wouldn't have any any kind of vibe.