LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Fox 2.5 R/R coil replacement

Old 03-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #1
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Fox 2.5 R/R coil replacement

Well I can't seem to find a how to on this and have a couple of questions so if anybody has some info please chime in!

I need to replace the current coils on some Fox 2.5's I bought used. I put them on and the coil rate was waaay to high. So stiff that they added another 1.5" of lift on top of the 2.75" I already had with my OME 885 coils.

I've done coil replacement and adjusting on my 5100's but I'm wondering how to do these.

I was thinking

1st) Let the nitrogen out of the resi's

2nd) Remove resi hose

3rd) Remove adjustment collars

Is that all there is to it? Besides trying not to lose any oil and having to recharge them to specified psi?

Thanks for the help guys.

edit: Yes I will have to remove the top plates first.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
surfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfrat is one of the sharper tools in the shed
surfrat's Tacoma Gallery
compress the springs and take off the bottom spring bucket.. no need to do any of that.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks surfrat didn't even know that portion came off.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfrat View Post
compress the springs and take off the bottom spring bucket.. no need to do any of that.
x2, when i tried removing all my preload on my SAWs it was too tight so I unloaded the spring and the bottom piece comes out and the spring slides out with it, then you can do whatever you need to and put it back together with the spring compressor again just dont use those crappy rental ones, take it to a shop and have them do it with the right machine
Old 03-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Victory is reserved...

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
x2, when i tried removing all my preload on my SAWs it was too tight so I unloaded the spring and the bottom piece comes out and the spring slides out with it, then you can do whatever you need to and put it back together with the spring compressor again just dont use those crappy rental ones, take it to a shop and have them do it with the right machine
So to be clear.

Take off all pre load by loosening the collars.

Compress the coil slightly

Unscrew the whole bottom piece?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #6
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
So to be clear.

Take off all pre load by loosening the collars.

Compress the coil slightly

Unscrew the whole bottom piece?
no need to loosen the collars, leave them as is and just compress the whole thing . once the pressure is off the bottom piece it will be able to slide out from the side. there should be an opening on one side of that bottom piece that will clear the shaft and slide out. does that make sense?
basically once the coil is compressed that bottom piece will slide out from the side, not straight down.
Thats how it was for my SAW coilovers, im assuming its similar for the foxes.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Victory is reserved...

I wish mine had that opening lol it'd be easy. Mine are fully enclosed.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by THExBUSxDRIVER View Post
I wish mine had that opening lol it'd be easy. Mine are fully enclosed.
ah shit, then idk man
Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Downsouth Motorsport
Downsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shedDownsouth Motorsports is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Downsouth Motorsports's Tacoma Gallery
1. You'll need to compress the springs far enough to slide the lower spring seats up, and expose the clips holding the spring seat in place.
2. There is a little o-ring that holds the 2 halves together. Remove the o-ring, and the 2 clips. Will look somewhat like this:
3. Carefully slide the coil spring seat off from the eyelet. The springs will be under extreme tension, (we had a hard time here on our spring compressor with those) so please be careful.

Call us if you have any questions...

Thanks,
-Marco @ DSM
Old 03-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
korslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shedkorslite is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
korslite's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsouth Motorsports View Post
1. You'll need to compress the springs far enough to slide the lower spring seats up, and expose the clips holding the spring seat in place.
2. There is a little o-ring that holds the 2 halves together. Remove the o-ring, and the 2 clips. Will look somewhat like this:
3. Carefully slide the coil spring seat off from the eyelet. The springs will be under extreme tension, (we had a hard time here on our spring compressor with those) so please be careful.

Call us if you have any questions...

Thanks,
-Marco @ DSM
You guys kick ass. I was getting curious about this as well in case i wanna up my spring rate after the new bumper.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Victory is reserved...

thanks Marco. I should have had you guys replace them during the rebuild by didn't think straight.

But now I learned something new today!