Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Sr5 shocks vs. TRD shocks?

Old 03-26-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

Name: Ron
rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Sr5 shocks vs. TRD shocks?

I'm looking into buying shocks from a member on here, which is coming off his TRD Off-Road (Bilsteins). I have an sr5 and was wondering if switching to the TRD Bilsteins would make an enough improvement for me to notice a difference over my sr5 shocks?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
TotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dan
TotalBrutal's Tacoma Gallery
Skip the middle step and just go 5100s. Night and day difference over my TRD shocks.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #3
rbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant futurerbeezy has a brilliant future

rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalBrutal View Post
Skip the middle step and just go 5100s. Night and day difference over my TRD shocks.
I thought about that, but was thinking it would be a waste since I didn't have plans on lifting my truck
Old 03-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #4
TotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dan
TotalBrutal's Tacoma Gallery
Even without a lift u will see a benefit i rekon. I have my fronts @ 0 with OME 884s and a stock (canadian stock) back end. Its a solid set up. I originally wasn't gonna go with 5100s for the rear and just keep my stock trds, but sure glad i made the swap now.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
I ski I work I'm rad
Steezyskis has much to be proud ofSteezyskis has much to be proud ofSteezyskis has much to be proud ofSteezyskis has much to be proud ofSteezyskis has much to be proud ofSteezyskis has much to be proud ofSteezyskis has much to be proud ofSteezyskis has much to be proud ofSteezyskis has much to be proud of
Name: Spencer
Steezyskis's Tacoma Gallery
If there off a 2010 or up I'd say go for it. But any older and I'd look into the 5100s. TRD billys are better then stock but not anything special. The 5100s would prob do you great. Plus there silver instead if that ugly blue and yellow.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #6

rbeezy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steezyskis View Post
If there off a 2010 or up I'd say go for it. But any older and I'd look into the 5100s. TRD billys are better then stock but not anything special. The 5100s would prob do you great. Plus there silver instead if that ugly blue and yellow.
They're from a 2011
Old 03-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
wolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of lightwolftree is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Rick
wolftree's Tacoma Gallery
rbeezy,

The TRD Bilsteins are not true Bilsteins. Rather, they are made to Toyota specs by Bilstein. Even Bistein 4600s would be a giant improvement since you are not wanting to lift. You would save a few dollars over the 5100s. You would not go wrong with either true Bilstein.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a noticeably difference between the SR5 shocks and TRD shocks? Because I'm looking at a SR5 truck. Might lift it a few years down the road though.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Holyfather is on a distinguished road
Holyfather's Tacoma Gallery
I just took off my front TRD shocks and replaced them with 5100s @11 1.75" to level it out. My rear shocks are the TRD. I like this setup better than just TRD shocks
Old 04-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #10
mikewho is a jewel in the roughmikewho is a jewel in the roughmikewho is a jewel in the roughmikewho is a jewel in the rough

Army:
Name: Mike
mikewho's Tacoma Gallery
the difference would be very minimal ...not enough to justify the cost and elbow grease imo. (unless you are getting a super deal)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
The Blue Warrior
ToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotaKTMracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shay
ToyotaKTMracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewho View Post
the difference would be very minimal ...not enough to justify the cost and elbow grease imo. (unless you are getting a super deal)
Okay. I figured it would be minimal. Found a 2010 DCSB SR5 V6 4x4 with 30k miles for $23k. Good deal for me