Notices

Suspension Upgrade 3" to 6" Question

Old 03-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
jrmitt808 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
Name: JR
jrmitt808's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension Upgrade 3" to 6" Question

I am in the process of upgrading my suspension, need more height . I am currently running a 3 inch OME lift kit and want to upgrade to a 6 inch Procomp Stage 1 lift.

My question is will I be able to use my TC UCAs and OME Shocks on my new lift? Or will I have to replace everything?

Also I am upgrading my wheels and tires to 18X9 Monsters, any tires you can recommend? I want to stay below 35's. I think 33's Nitto Grapplers would look nice.

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
The Terra Grapplers might look small IMO. The Mud Grapplers may look better. Matter of opinion though. You should be able to use your OME set up. I think the stage 1 kit is just a drop bracket and blocks..I think. You may need longer shocks in the back but not sure. Don't really know enough about the stage 1 kit. I'm sure someone will chime in..
Old 03-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmitt808 View Post
I am in the process of downgrading my suspension, need more height for no reason at all.
Had to fix some errors.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Just an FYI - IMO going from a 3" lift to a 6" DB lift is a downgrade no an upgrade.

Taller isn't better when you have less ground clearance and are more top heavy.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #5
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Had to fix some errors.

great minds think alike
Old 03-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think you need aftermarket UCAs with a db lift either.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Had to fix some errors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
Just an FYI - IMO going from a 3" lift to a 6" DB lift is a downgrade no an upgrade.

Taller isn't better when you have less ground clearance and are more top heavy.
x3
Old 03-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
Navy:
Interesting...did not know upgrading....uh..hmm...I mean downgrading to a 6 inch lift was a bad thing.

Anyone out there with a 6 inch lift care to rebuttal?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmitt808 View Post
Interesting...did not know upgrading....uh..hmm...I mean downgrading to a 6 inch lift was a bad thing.

Anyone out there with a 6 inch lift care to rebuttal?
It's a never ending battle. Don't even waist your time asking in this forum. Go to the suspension forum where you can get some real helpful answers. PM me and I can help you out as well.\

PS. All of your stuff will transfer over, no problems at all
Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM   #10
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzzr2 View Post
i'm just gonna offer an opinion on this.. seems that people just shit on 6 inch lifts here, talking about ground clearance loss.. ya a bit might be lost under the front diff from the bracket, but then the larger tires help resolve that issue somewhat, but what about the 3inches gained + added clearance from larger tires under the rest of the truck?? for guys running a 4dr long box a six inch will help clear all kinds of obstacles that shorter wheelbase trucks like my reg cag can get over with a smaller lift... anyway let the shit flow now... sorry.... but all the opinions in the world will vary on this subject... also a lot of guys don't want to cut to fit larger tires, and don't wanna drag over obstacles if they are actually wheeling..
I see guys offroad all the time with 6" lifts and do fine. Unless you have LT and a Satoshi grille, you get crap. Just take it with a grain of salt
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
Navy:
Thanks bzzr2 and Jay! I'll be sure to pm you with any questions.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #12
COMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shedCOMAtose HI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

COMAtose HI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
I see guys offroad all the time with 6" lifts and do fine. Unless you have LT and a Satoshi grille, you get crap. Just take it with a grain of salt
true that. good luck with your UPGRADE op!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
dont use ome coils with it, because then you will be at 9 inches, seems like you have a solid lift now.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
fj6high is a glorious beacon of lightfj6high is a glorious beacon of lightfj6high is a glorious beacon of lightfj6high is a glorious beacon of lightfj6high is a glorious beacon of lightfj6high is a glorious beacon of light
Army: 63T H8 Mechanic
Name: Howard
fj6high's Tacoma Gallery
I run everything you describe...OME heavy Skyjacker in the back longer then what the kit provides and the stock UCA's.140S struts.

Don't let the naysayers put you down...I wheel everywhere and I have no issue. I owned both the 2dr and quad Tacomas lifted and not.

Decide what type of wheeling you intend to do...A bigger lift allows bigger tires and that makes a major difference in performance besides the fact that your approach,breakover and drop off decent angles will be greatly improved. If you have a quad a 6" lift will be a great improvement. I used to get high centered on everything and took damage.

You decide what type of wheeling you intend to do...Even if you seldom go off road...a lifted Taco with 35's just looks awesome! IMHO
Old 03-27-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
fj6high is a glorious beacon of lightfj6high is a glorious beacon of lightfj6high is a glorious beacon of lightfj6high is a glorious beacon of lightfj6high is a glorious beacon of lightfj6high is a glorious beacon of light
Army: 63T H8 Mechanic
Name: Howard
fj6high's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #16
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Any lifted taco, whether it be 2.5, 3, 4, 4.5, 6" so on & so fourth and a knowledgeable driver doing the wheeling should have no issues off roading, the opinions on here are all mainly biased.