LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon 2.5 C/Os + King 14x700 Springs

Old 03-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #22
GreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
GreenTaco28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jespi11 View Post
I have a 1st gen as well and didnt have any problem getting the info I needed. I spoke with them earlier this morning and they told me the coils I would need. I'm just a little hesitant on getting the 700# coil because I only have the stock bumper on
What did they tell you to get? 700 lb coil for no additional weight upfront would give you a horrible ride. A 600 lb coil while stock is still firm.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #23
Dr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant future

Air Force: Active Duty AF physician
Name: Shane
Dr. Sleep's Tacoma Gallery
I'm curious what the goal of the OP is. I have a similar setup...All-Pro plate steel bumper and winch...heavy as heck. I have the Icon extended travel coilovers cranked with significant preload to compensate for the additional weight. And the ride is pretty stiff up front. I thought if I went with a 700 lb/inch coil spring, the ride would be even stiffer..though with less preload.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #24
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
The preload will be a lot less, which will allow the ride to be better ideally. The heavier springs will be stronger to support the weight of the bumper and wont be crushed to do so. The weight of the bumper will be enough to weigh the springs down (like the whole sandbags in the back to get a better ride with the allpro expo packs)
Old 03-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #25
Dr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
The preload will be a lot less, which will allow the ride to be better ideally. The heavier springs will be stronger to support the weight of the bumper and wont be crushed to do so. The weight of the bumper will be enough to weigh the springs down (like the whole sandbags in the back to get a better ride with the allpro expo packs)
But the coil springs are linear. 650 lbs/inch Icon versus 700 lbs/ inch with the eibachs or king. So even though the icons are compressed more, it should still take 650 lbs to compress another inch versus 700 lbs
Old 03-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #26
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sleep View Post
But the coil springs are linear. 650 lbs/inch Icon versus 700 lbs/ inch with the eibachs or king. So even though the icons are compressed more, it should still take 650 lbs to compress another inch versus 700 lbs
Makes sense, but i can tell you that when my c/o are way more stiff the higher i crank them...
Old 03-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Makes sense, but i can tell you that when my c/o are way more stiff the higher i crank them...
Well if you go with a different coil spring and get a softer ride with the same ride height let me know and post it here. I'm trying to get the same result. I'm not sure if the solution is different valving on tbr shocks (linear vs digressive) or a different coil spring -- maybe a longer 600 lb spring just compressed more
Old 03-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #28
I love your mom!

Quote:
Well if you go with a different coil spring and get a softer ride with the same ride height let me know and post it here. I'm trying to get the same result. I'm not sure if the solution is different valving on tbr shocks (linear vs digressive) or a different coil spring -- maybe a longer 600 lb spring just compressed more
But I will have my springs Friday and install Saturday hopefully...
Old 03-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #29

Quote:
But I will have my springs Friday and install Saturday hopefully...
Good luck. I hope it provides you the same lift with a softer ride.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #30
I love your mom!

So the development is that my bumper got here and was bent; so i have to send it back and get a new one...

I did however get my springs today so I will install them tomorrow and see what happens with the stock bumper...
Old 03-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #31
I love your mom!

Got it all out, now just waiting on the auto craft center to open on Langley.....

Old 03-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #32

You definitely won't need the 14" 700lb King coil springs for the stock bumper. And you may not need them for the aftermarket plate steel bumper either. I'm running the same coilover with a plate steel bumper and a winch with the icon extended coil spring and shock. I still have plenty of lift but the coilovers are cranked, and the ride seems stiff. Unless you try the icon coilover with your plate steel bumper (when it comes back in), you won't know if you prefer the king coil spring or the icon coil spring.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #33
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You definitely won't need the 14" 700lb King coil springs for the stock bumper. And you may not need them for the aftermarket plate steel bumper either. I'm running the same coilover with a plate steel bumper and a winch with the icon extended coil spring and shock. I still have plenty of lift but the coilovers are cranked, and the ride seems stiff. Unless you try the icon coilover with your plate steel bumper (when it comes back in), you won't know if you prefer the king coil spring or the icon coil spring.
Why not have a stiffer ride with a 700 lb spring and have your coilovers not cranked to the max preload? That would give you the most travel. Having your coilovers cranked to the max preload wit a steel plate bumper and winch, in my mind, would mean it is time to upgrade to a bigger spring rate. By using a smaller spring rate and cranking up your preload, you are only hurting your travel. You say the ride is stiff, why not just get the 700 lb coil, have less preload, and it would probably be just as stiff as the setup you have now.

Even if I think I am going to upgrade to a plate bumper and a winch later on down the line, I would get the King springs just as Slimwood has done. Sucking up the stiffer ride for a while is fine but most importantly do it once. Not multiple times.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #34
TacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
TacoTabe's Tacoma Gallery
I have a bumper and whinch and my Icons hold the front end up fine
Old 03-31-2012, 08:53 AM   #35
Stop staring at me swan!
tacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoman15 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tacoman15's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
another solution would be to cut off the IFS crap and slap in a dana 60
GO BIG OR GO HOME SLIMWOOD!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #36
I love your mom!

I got everything installed today and to tell you the truth, the ride is the same without the bumper on. It may be a TAD stiffer, but WOW do I have a lot more preload to go! Check it out...by the way, I love the blue...

Old 03-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #37
GreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
GreenTaco28's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! Wish i bought the king coil instead of another icon one... dammit haha
Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoman15 View Post
Why not have a stiffer ride with a 700 lb spring and have your coilovers not cranked to the max preload? That would give you the most travel.
Actually the total suspension travel is limited by the total setup. With aftermarket UCAs, and extended travel coilovers, you can get a maximum of a couple of inchs of extra travel (total travel from full droop to fully compressed). The only thing that additional preload does, is lift the truck, by putting the suspension into further droop, thus limiting down-travel. Bottom line . . . the more the lift, the less the down travel, and the more the up travel--regardless of spring rates and lengths. Eventually, you will reach a point where you've maxed out the lift by putting the vehicle into full droop, with zero down travel left. Ride would be horrible of course. The difference is that you would reach that point sooner on your preload adjuster with a longer or heavier spring rated coil spring. The only way to get more overall travel out of the front suspension is to go with a long travel setup--bigger investment in time and $$. Or go with a solid front axle--even bigger investment in time and $$$
Old 04-01-2012, 09:15 AM   #39
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Truck looks good. YGPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTaco28 View Post
Looks good! Wish i bought the king coil instead of another icon one... dammit haha
Your ballgame is totally different with a first gen.

Quote:
Actually the total suspension travel is limited by the total setup. With aftermarket UCAs, and extended travel coilovers, you can get a maximum of a couple of inchs of extra travel (total travel from full droop to fully compressed). The only thing that additional preload does, is lift the truck, by putting the suspension into further droop, thus limiting down-travel. Bottom line . . . the more the lift, the less the down travel, and the more the up travel--regardless of spring rates and lengths. Eventually, you will reach a point where you've maxed out the lift by putting the vehicle into full droop, with zero down travel left. Ride would be horrible of course. The difference is that you would reach that point sooner on your preload adjuster with a longer or heavier spring rated coil spring. The only way to get more overall travel out of the front suspension is to go with a long travel setup--bigger investment in time and $$. Or go with a solid front axle--even bigger investment in time and $$$
This man is correct. This is why lifting IFS is a pain in the ass and people are so fond of axles.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #40

For comparison purposes, here is the preload on my Tacoma. Granted, I have a Warn 8000 winch and All Pro steel front bumper adding weight. I have about 2 inches of preload left I could use.