Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Coilover indecision. Need opinions.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nate
6spdtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Coilover indecision. Need opinions.

So I am having trouble with my front suspension, and can't seem to decide what is the best solution.

Here is my original setup:
OME complete 3" lift w/886 and TC UCAs. I got it with the 886 coils because I have a winch(synthetic line) mounted up to a CBI front bumper. The front end was higher than 3" of lift when I got everything together. I figured it would settle down, but never really did. The coils seem to be too stiff for the weight of the truck. I noticed while offroading and driving on bumpy roads that there was almost zero compression. I tested my theory by jacking up and lowering the front end a few times in a row and watching the suspension move. It had very little movement, and rested at nearly full extension.

Original problems:
-High CV angles(tore a boot), extremely rough ride, harsh top-outs of coils while going over certain bumps.

Attempted solution/current setup:
-Swap out to 885 coils.

Observations about current setup:
-Ride height lowered significantly. Approx. 1.75" lower.
-MUCH smoother ride quality.
-Weight of vehicle sags suspension to about the half way point of travel.
-CV angles are about parallel with the ground. No more CV boot fins rubbing on each other.

Potential issues with current setup:
-Too soft? Might bottom out too easily?
-Too low. Significant loss of clearance.
-I plan on getting an aftermarket front skid and the added weight will make it sag/bottom out even easier.

Solutions/Opinions needed
-Install top plate spacer: Higher ride height but no added weight support.
-Get heavy skid plate and re-install 886 coils: Maybe added 70+lbs will help sag the heavy coils?
-Will an adjustable coilover like Icon or Sway-a-way be my best solution? Expensive stuff so hard to justify...
-Can I get a custom rate spring for my OME that would be somewhere between the 885 and 886?

Any opinions appreciated.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
WifesTaco is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: James
WifesTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdtaco View Post
So I am having trouble with my front suspension, and can't seem to decide what is the best solution.

Here is my original setup:
OME complete 3" lift w/886 and TC UCAs. I got it with the 886 coils because I have a winch(synthetic line) mounted up to a CBI front bumper. The front end was higher than 3" of lift when I got everything together. I figured it would settle down, but never really did. The coils seem to be too stiff for the weight of the truck. I noticed while offroading and driving on bumpy roads that there was almost zero compression. I tested my theory by jacking up and lowering the front end a few times in a row and watching the suspension move. It had very little movement, and rested at nearly full extension.

Original problems:
-High CV angles(tore a boot), extremely rough ride, harsh top-outs of coils while going over certain bumps.

Attempted solution/current setup:
-Swap out to 885 coils.

Observations about current setup:
-Ride height lowered significantly. Approx. 1.75" lower.
-MUCH smoother ride quality.
-Weight of vehicle sags suspension to about the half way point of travel.
-CV angles are about parallel with the ground. No more CV boot fins rubbing on each other.

Potential issues with current setup:
-Too soft? Might bottom out too easily?
-Too low. Significant loss of clearance.
-I plan on getting an aftermarket front skid and the added weight will make it sag/bottom out even easier.

Solutions/Opinions needed
-Install top plate spacer: Higher ride height but no added weight support.
-Get heavy skid plate and re-install 886 coils: Maybe added 70+lbs will help sag the heavy coils?
-Will an adjustable coilover like Icon or Sway-a-way be my best solution? Expensive stuff so hard to justify...
-Can I get a custom rate spring for my OME that would be somewhere between the 885 and 886?

Any opinions appreciated.
I am very interested in the opinions too! I have a Bruteforce plate bumper on order and have a Warn winch (synthetic line) waiting for it. I am about to order OME 886 Coils and the Nitrocharger shocks and was wondering how the ride and height will be affected, don't want it to be too stiff. The wife loves the factory soft ride.

I currently am running just a Readylift 3" spacer up front and AllPro 3" springs in the back. I have 33" tires with no rubbing or vibration issues, I did do the cab mount chop.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
You might need to get an adjustable coilover? You'll get prob half the money back from selling the current set-up?
Old 03-29-2012, 03:50 AM   #4
6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed6spdtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
You might need to get an adjustable coilover? You'll get prob half the money back from selling the current set-up?
I am not very familiar with the adjustable coilovers. Do they only adjust height, or can the spring rate be adjusted somehow? I read on Wheelersoffroad site that the Sway-A-Way have 200psi nitrogen charge. Does the nitrogen charge have anything to do with load bearing capabilities, and if so, can it be adjusted?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Most coilovers have a standard 650# springs which is enough for bumpers and are all charger to around 200 psi but could be adjusted down for a softer ride. The adjustable coilovers will allow you to preload the springs to compensate for the added weight while keeping height. Go with the top brands Icon, fox, King, Camburg, SAW. Pick a color and price you like because its splitting hairs to compare them all..........I would'nt mess around with spacers and different springs, etc!
Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 AM   #6

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Keep your eyes peeled for a used pair and get them re-built!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #7

I'm thinking about the Icon COs. Opinions?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:30 AM   #8

Damn, I was hoping to get some more input. Gotta love it when a thread about cleaning your shoe laces gets more action than an actual technical situation involving a Tacoma...
Old 03-31-2012, 04:56 AM   #9
Viejon
markmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shedmarkmatters is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Mark
markmatters's Tacoma Gallery
"Icon uses digressive valving which will be a bit stiffer at first, but then smoothes out at faster speeds. King and Fox use progressive valving which is the opposite and is smoother at first, but as speed increases they start to stiffen up"

copied this from another thread...hope it helps...
Old 03-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmatters View Post
"Icon uses digressive valving which will be a bit stiffer at first, but then smoothes out at faster speeds. King and Fox use progressive valving which is the opposite and is smoother at first, but as speed increases they start to stiffen up"

copied this from another thread...hope it helps...

Idk how true that is, but my Fox's are smooth as hell at speed.... more stiff at slower speeds. Granted, they are pretty well cranked up, there were very much 'caddilac smooth' before I cranked them.

Op, I recommend the adjustables. Its just such a convenience to be able to put your ride height exactly where you want it. If you get a bumper you just crank em up a little more to support the weight. Order them through Downsouth Motorsports and you can choose which spring you want. I went with a 600lb spring and have no complaints, the 600lb springs still have a little give to them even though I'm cranked for 2.5+, which makes for a more forgiving ride. My friend here has alot stiffer springs and his setup has absolutely no give, might as well be driving a go-kart.