Notices

Rear Suspension Leveling

Old 03-28-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
QUiEtStoRm360 is on a distinguished road
Name: J
QUiEtStoRm360's Tacoma Gallery
Question Rear Suspension Leveling

Hola,

I've searched this topic and been unsuccessful finding something that pertains to what I have goin on... So here goes;

I have an 08' access cab with an ARE CX canopy with windoors and a rack on it. Canopy is somewhere in the 300lb range.

The factory leaf springs are still on my truck (2 standard leaf & 1 Overload), and as you all know, They are shit. Basically flat at this point.

I bought this truck "out of warranty", and at the time it didn't have the canopy on it, so it was level and my dumbass didn't check the leafs to see if they were flat.

So....

The ass end of my truck sits 1-1/2" - 2" lower than the front.

I have an XJ and that is what I use for getting my wheelin / offroad fix, so I'm not interested in lifting my truck.

I know I could do an AAL from Wheelers, but my concern is that I will destroy it quickly considering the stock leaf pack is crap at this point and the brunt of the weight will be on the added leaf. Same concern for putting on bags, (bags will be supporting all the weight basically all the time).

i've been unable to find a new leaf pack that doesn't lift the truck and/or reduce load capacity...

What I'd like to accomplish is level out the ass end with the front and hopefully gain a bit more load capacity (if possible).

My question is this; what do you guys know of that could level out the rear without losing load capacity or breaking the bank?

FWIW: I do tow trailers on a weekly basis mainly: tools, firewood, logs etc. I'll even throw the XJ on a car trailer and drag it behind the yota when need be...

Thanks in advance,

J
Old 03-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
Daily BTT... Come on guys, help a brotha out !
Old 03-30-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You're correct about the AAL, it will work but you'll trash it fairly quickly because it'll be supporting all the weight. It might take a couple years if it's just a daily driver though. It also might give you more lift that you want if the front is still stock.

Air bags would be a good secondary option. There's no issue with them supporting weight 100% of the time, they will be acting as a helper to your weak stock springs and can be adjusted depending on the load you have.

Another option would be something like Timbrens. They're basically a load-carrying taller than stock bump stop. Wheeler's Off Road sells them.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You're correct about the AAL, it will work but you'll trash it fairly quickly because it'll be supporting all the weight. It might take a couple years if it's just a daily driver though. It also might give you more lift that you want if the front is still stock.

Air bags would be a good secondary option. There's no issue with them supporting weight 100% of the time, they will be acting as a helper to your weak stock springs and can be adjusted depending on the load you have.

Another option would be something like Timbrens. They're basically a load-carrying taller than stock bump stop. Wheeler's Off Road sells them.
Timbrens?
I'll look into that, thanks for the response !