Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Did I put my shocks on upside down?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
cbrod187 is on a distinguished road

Name: Rod
cbrod187's Tacoma Gallery
Did I put my shocks on upside down?

I installed 2 inch aal and 5100 blisteins. I mounted the rear shocks with the shock boots facing the ground. Is that right? Or are they supposed to be the other way? Since the original shocks dont have boots I wasnt really thinking bout it when I installed em. Luckily its a easy fix if I installed them wrong. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you're good to go. Then again, I don't think it really matters which way they're facing.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #3
Superior Member
707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed707tothe907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
707tothe907's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's boot up, and it does matter for oil flow and what not..
Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #4
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
I think its 5125's up and 5100's down. It depends on your truck too. Best bet would be to call bilstein and get the exact specs for your truck and the shocks. Make sure its done right.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrod187 View Post
I installed 2 inch aal and 5100 blisteins. I mounted the rear shocks with the shock boots facing the ground. Is that right? Or are they supposed to be the other way? Since the original shocks dont have boots I wasnt really thinking bout it when I installed em. Luckily its a easy fix if I installed them wrong. Thanks.
The words on the shocks, and on the stickers need to be right side up.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
The words on the shocks, and on the stickers need to be right side up.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
well if its 5100's they only mount one way.... donno how they could be upside down
Old 03-29-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
TotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the roughTotalBrutal is a jewel in the rough

Name: Dan
TotalBrutal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oury View Post
well if its 5100's they only mount one way.... donno how they could be upside down
not if its a first gen
Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
cbrod187 is on a distinguished road

Name: Rod
cbrod187's Tacoma Gallery
My bad, yes its a first gen 97 xtra cab v6 to be exact. Hmm since no ones sure maybe I will have to contact bilstien. Yes the stickers are facing the right way. The reason I started wondering about it was I was getting a wheel alinement and was taking to the guy about my shocks and he thought they were upside down but then said "oh wait there on there right" so that got me wondering.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
mine are boots up.

i think the 5100's have 50/50 valving so either way i dont think you can get in TOO much trouble...
Old 03-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i was under the impression that most shocks had a specific way of being mounted. that being said you should be able to read labels without being upsidedown
Old 03-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
More Cowbell!
VooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedVooDoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Carter Ivey
VooDoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
50/50

You mean mono tube? non-emulsion mono-tube shocks can be mounted in any orientation
maybe i'm wrong.

check this out, maybe it will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzimm001 View Post
Split digressive valving is a fancy way of saying that a digressive piston is being used and the valving is not 50/50 but actually split (usually more rebound resistance than compression). In a digressive piston design, the shocks dampening capabilities are felt more rapidly because the piston is concaved and the shims are slightly bent (preloaded) into the dish shape of the piston. The benefit to this over using just heavier grade shims is that the dampening response is felt much quicker but the max yield doesn't really change. So it's sort of a way to get more performance out of the same shock without using thicker valving shims.

Self adjusting deflective valving is pretty much standard issue in any decently made after market shock (sway-away, fox, etc.) Not really special unless your compairing it to bone stock car shocks. It's essentially like the digressive shock described above (uses a piston with multiple shims stacked in a pyramid on both sides for dampening) only the piston is NOT digressive (concaved). This is known as linear valving. Some companies tend to use digressive valving while others use linear. Typically the digressive valving will have a firmer feel to it and is considered more advanced. Both designs have their purpose so pick your poison. Icon shocks are digressive which is why many people talk about Icons having a firmer ride than some other brands.

Hope this helps...

found in this thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...eply&p=3995110
Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Wow this has me worried now.Going to post a picture tomorrow of my 5100s on my 1st gen.

Update Edit: Have them facing the right way now , wonder if I will tell a ride difference.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ms View Post
Wow this has me worried now.Going to post a picture tomorrow of my 5100s on my 1st gen.
No need to post a picture, this is how they should be mounted. The Bilstein label should be right side up (so boot down in this case)V
Old 03-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #16
Trifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrifenix is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trifenix's Tacoma Gallery
At the end of the day. Standard monotube shocks does not matter which way they are installed. Most install shafts down less chance to damage body but of course shaft can get damaged. 5100s come with boots so no problem.