LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME Pre-Order Decisions and Checklist!

Old 03-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Dan
BassMaster06's Tacoma Gallery
OME Lift installed!

Tdub! I'm super close to ordering a lift kit. I wanted to make sure I had all my ducks in a row, and also to make a few last minute decisions. I will probably place my order thru Toytec, unless I can find a better deal elsewhere (suggestions?). Thanks in advance for any input you guys can give me.

Truck: 2006 DCSB 4x4 V6 Black Sand Pearl

Plans: OME Complete Suspension Lift

Options:
-Med 885 Coils
-Add top plate spacer
-Replace crappy frowning non-TSB leafs with Dakar leaf packs (Anything else I should consider or need to buy for these leaf springs and/or the install? axle shims, new bushings, etc?)
-Front Differential Drop Kit
-Carrier bearing drop (toytec vs. Beefed taco vs. other??)
-Trim packer for driver side lean (can I still get this with the top plate spacers?)
-Axle shims if CBD doesn't cure potential vibes
-Rear shock stone guards (are these worth the extra $26?)
-Pre-assemble front shocks/coils
-Light Racing UCA's (patiently wating in my garage!)

Anything else I'm missing? or suggestions?

I have been saving money and doing my TW research for the past couple years, and I am set on this lift kit. The only thing thats holding me back is what to do for wheels and tires. As you can see, I have the TRD OR wheels with 265 Bridgestone Duelers A/T's. I really like these stock wheels, but I definitely want to go up to a bigger tire. From looking at countless amounts of other trucks, I also like the look of a little bit wider stance than stock, but I'm sure I could do without. I have read mixed reviews about wheel spacers, and how they can potentially cause issues with wheel bearings, for example. If I do get wheel spacers, I'll get the spidertrax 1.25". I understand some of these options would require minor trimming, and I'm okay with that, but if I can avoid it with a certain wheel/tire combo, I'd preferably go with that. Here are my thoughts/options:

-Keep stock rims, buy wheel spacers, get 285's
-Keep stock rims, wheel spacers, and 255's (if they'll fit the rims?)
-Buy new wheels (I really like the procomp 16" 7089's) and 285's or 255's if they'll fit the 7089s?

Since money doesn't grow on trees, at least in my backyard, I'm ultimately torn between keeping the stock wheels vs. new wheels. From my understanding, the 255's are a little bit taller, skinnier, and lighter...but there is a much smaller selection, and probably more expensive. If i were to go with the 7089's, would I be able to find a 255 to fit them? and if so, what would the stance look like (stock vs. wider)?

Lots of questions, I know, and sorry if I got a little scatter-brained here at the end. I would like to with a setup that will ultimately save me money in the long wrong, and prevent any other potential issues (relatively speaking). I'm not looking for responses like "Its your truck, do what you want". I'm asking for answers and/or suggestions from everyone's real world experiences with the products I'm considering. Thanks again folks!
Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #2
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
silver taco's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds good. You can still use trim packer. You probably wont need carrier bearing drop or shims. I do reccomend getting new u bolts.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Dan
YotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaDan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YotaDan's Tacoma Gallery
A set of extended rear brake lines is recommended if you will be off-roading a lot.

I can get you set up with all the parts you listed.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
brny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrny67 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Bill
brny67's Tacoma Gallery
nice looking ride as it sits, i can only imagine what that beast will look like lifted with nice shoes.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Make sure you get centre pin collars if you plan on using axle shims with the Dakars
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #6
BassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of lightBassMaster06 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver taco View Post
Sounds good. You can still use trim packer. You probably wont need carrier bearing drop or shims. I do reccomend getting new u bolts.
If I'm not mistaken, on the toytec website, the option for the Dakar leafs comes with new U-bolts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Make sure you get centre pin collars if you plan on using axle shims with the Dakars
OZ, are these the same thing as a "center bolt head lengthener"? If so, I ordered a pair of these a while back after reading PSUtaco85's build page (IIRC), and they're at my house ready to roll. If thats not what you're talking about, feel free to set me straight!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat as you.... about to order a similar setup, and very likely gonna do it through Wheeler's.

YotaDan has been super helpful with good info and quick responses to PM's I've sent him. Price and shipping also seem to be a tad bit better than Toytec as well, and I've heard from others that Dan won't be underpriced too - just gotta email/talk to him (don't hold me to this, I haven't gotten that far yet ).

PM incoming.....
Old 03-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
dmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud ofdmb has much to be proud of

Air Force: Metal's Tech
dmb's Tacoma Gallery
I'd recommend Wheeler's! I placed an order yesterday afternoon and Johnny emailed me back within the hour and got my order checked & placed. And it shipped yesterday too.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #10
98regstick is a jewel in the rough98regstick is a jewel in the rough98regstick is a jewel in the rough

98regstick's Tacoma Gallery
Nice looking truck! It's going to look sick with the new goodies.

If you're looking to save a few pennies, I'd say ditch the front diff. drop and stone guards.

In regards to 255s, the last time i checked, i think you can BFG KM2s for right around 200 a piece, which isn't too shabby for a 33" (mud) tire. Otherwise, as you said, there aren't too many other options.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98regstick View Post
In regards to 255s, the last time i checked, i think you can BFG KM2s for right around 200 a piece, which isn't too shabby for a 33" (mud) tire. Otherwise, as you said, there aren't too many other options.
I'm just not sure I can justify getting a mud terrain for my driving habits. This truck is a multi-purpose truck, as most are. Its my daily driver to the lab I work at, but I also live and work on a farm, and the truck is put to work (and play!) on a regular basis. I love the look of the mud terrains, but I drive roughly ~50 miles/day during the week to work, so I worry about the MT's wearing out too quick, and also how much of a beating my MPG would take. So more often than not, this truck is on the pavement.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMaster06 View Post
Plans: OME Complete Suspension Lift

Options:
-Med 885 Coils
-Add top plate spacer
-Replace crappy frowning non-TSB leafs with Dakar leaf packs (Anything else I should consider or need to buy for these leaf springs and/or the install? axle shims, new bushings, etc?)
-Front Differential Drop Kit Don't waste your money
-Carrier bearing drop (toytec vs. Beefed taco vs. other??)
-Trim packer for driver side lean (can I still get this with the top plate spacers?) Yes
-Axle shims if CBD doesn't cure potential vibes
-Rear shock stone guards (are these worth the extra $26?)
-Pre-assemble front shocks/coils
-Light Racing UCA's (patiently wating in my garage!)

Anything else I'm missing? or suggestions?

-Keep stock rims, buy wheel spacers, get 285's
-Keep stock rims, wheel spacers, and 255's (if they'll fit the rims?) 255s fit best on 7" wheels
-Buy new wheels (I really like the procomp 16" 7089's) and 285's or 255's if they'll fit the 7089s?

Since money doesn't grow on trees, at least in my backyard, I'm ultimately torn between keeping the stock wheels vs. new wheels. From my understanding, the 255's are a little bit taller, skinnier, and lighter...but there is a much smaller selection, and probably more expensive. I got mine for just under $900 If i were to go with the 7089's, would I be able to find a 255 to fit them? and if so, what would the stance look like (stock vs. wider)? Don't know the BS on the 7089s but if the 7089s are 8" wide the 255s might be too narrow for them
I put the 255/85/16 BFG KM2s on 1st Gen TRDs (less BS so they stick out farther) and love them.

Also love my 885s & Dakars. Great ride on & off road.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
98regstick is a jewel in the rough98regstick is a jewel in the rough98regstick is a jewel in the rough

98regstick's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm just not sure I can justify getting a mud terrain for my driving habits. This truck is a multi-purpose truck, as most are. Its my daily driver to the lab I work at, but I also live and work on a farm, and the truck is put to work (and play!) on a regular basis. I love the look of the mud terrains, but I drive roughly ~50 miles/day during the week to work, so I worry about the MT's wearing out too quick, and also how much of a beating my MPG would take. So more often than not, this truck is on the pavement.
Gotcha. Perhaps a 265 or 285 all terrain is in your future!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
I put the 255/85/16 BFG KM2s on 1st Gen TRDs (less BS so they stick out farther) and love them.
Also love my 885s & Dakars. Great ride on & off road.
I've read thru your build thread a few times, nice truck! How did the KM2's effect your MPG?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaDan View Post
I can get you set up with all the parts you listed.
Great, I think I will be contacting you soon once I get my funds lined up. Open on Saturdays?
Old 03-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OZ, are these the same thing as a "center bolt head lengthener"? If so, I ordered a pair of these a while back after reading PSUtaco85's build page (IIRC), and they're at my house ready to roll. If thats not what you're talking about, feel free to set me straight!
You got it

Old 03-29-2012, 01:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You got it

Old 03-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
backcountryj is on a distinguished road
Name: Jonathan
backcountryj's Tacoma Gallery
I just recently purchased an almost identical kit from Toytec (sans top plate spacer/diff drop/stone guards/LR UCA).
The Dakars came with new U-bolts and new bushings installed.
I also ordered the axle shims, and Toytec pre-installed the center pin collar so no need to hassle with that either.
Short of swapping the hanger from the factory springs, my Dakars from Toytec arrived shim compatible and ready to install.

Overall I was satisfied with the price I paid ($1310 shipped), customer service wasn't the best I've experienced though.
I cannot speak for Wheelers matching or beating competitors prices. Their advertised price is a little higher than what I paid but it can't hurt to ask though.
I ended up getting tired of price shopping and let instant gratification get the better of me. The day I broke down and made the purchased happened to be a Friday...Wheelers is closed on Fridays, I tried to call.
Good luck with your hunt.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wheelin4Banger View Post
255s fit best on 7" wheels
According to the Wheel Specs sticky, http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...eel-specs.html, the TRD OR Wheels are a 7" wheel. I've only recently began considering the 255, so I haven't had time to do much research yet on whats out there. Are there any all terrains out there that come in a 255 size? Any recommendations? I'll be checking things out when I get more time, just hopin to get a head start!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've read thru your build thread a few times, nice truck! How did the KM2's effect your MPG?
Thanks
With my 4Banger they do good on the highway if it's flat (not much of that around here) and not the best on the hills. I've had to put it in 3rd to maintain speed on a couple of hills. I did a 220 mile exploring trip to check out some old mines with them on (190 on road & 30 off road) swapped the tires back and put another 175 miles on it & when I filled up it came out to 19.5 MPG instead of the 20 to 20.5 it normally gets (winter gas, with summer gas I get 24). I only run them when I go wheeling and they do great there. My 70 mile round trip to work takes me from 4450' to almost 4600' then down to 4200' and then the opposite on the way back. I run the Dungflops for commuting and I am not sure if I will up size to 265/75/16s or stay with the 245/75/16s when they wear out. I know the 265/75/16s will look a lot better but I have to think of the MPGs with a 280 mile/week commute.