Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Cant get my truck aligned after lift...HELP!?

Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #1
MountainMan777 is on a distinguished road

MountainMan777's Tacoma Gallery
Cant get my truck aligned after lift...HELP!?

I just installed a set of fox coilovers and Total Chaos UCAs on my 07 prerunner, everything else is stock on the truck, the coilovers are adjusted to 3" and no one can align it now. Iv taken it to 4 different alignment shops and they all cant do it, I have a bad inner tie rod, but i dont think that should make it not algn-able? They say the inner tie rods are maxed out and dont have anymore thread to pull the toe in and the wheels are still toed out really bad. Anybody have any answer or suggestions for me? Id really appreciate any help. Iv even taken it to mechanics and 4x4 shops and no one seems to have a solution, they all keep referring me to other places and giving me different diagnosis of the problem i dont think anyone knows what they are talking about. Its so bad right now my tires squeal as i drive down the road and turn.

Iv heard the tacoma spindles are kind of weak and although they work fine at stock height sometimes as the as the suspension droops out from a lift you get bumpsteer, and to replace your spindles may fix my problem any thoughts anyone?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
You trying to sell it now? Might get a better answer if you posted it in the right category.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
i think after 4 alignment shops and i cant tell how many different answers you said because you didn't say, i would start with the obvious and replacing bent inner tie rod and go from there. assuming alignment shops are reputable and they are obviously still in business, i can't say take it to another alignment shop because you already did that..................so ahmmmmmmmmmmmm get that bent rod replace and do it again for starters. my next guess is your set too high, are your cv angles really bad??????????
Old 03-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #4
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Tie rods control toe. Bad tie rod=no control over toe. If camber and caster are fine, and toe is the only problem, replace the tie rods. It'll take care of the problem.

I have 3.5 front, and 4.5 rear. I had no problems with alignment. Vibrations? yes. A shim and diff drop will take care of that.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #5
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
You went to 4 different shops, got the same answer and still don't believe them? Why should what we tell you make any difference?

Also, I've been told to do it, and did it... ask them to push the caster forward a bit.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
i think after 4 alignment shops and i cant tell how many different answers you said because you didn't say, i would start with the obvious and replacing bent inner tie rod and go from there. assuming alignment shops are reputable and they are obviously still in business, i can't say take it to another alignment shop because you already did that..................so ahmmmmmmmmmmmm get that bent rod replace and do it again for starters. my next guess is your set too high, are your cv angles really bad??????????

Yea my coilovers are set pretty high right now,but i thought that they woud be fine considering the rear of my truck is still stock and the front sits a little higher than the rear right now.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:30 PM   #7

tie rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytower View Post
Tie rods control toe. Bad tie rod=no control over toe. If camber and caster are fine, and toe is the only problem, replace the tie rods. It'll take care of the problem.

I have 3.5 front, and 4.5 rear. I had no problems with alignment. Vibrations? yes. A shim and diff drop will take care of that.
I would just replace the tie rod but the place i took it to told me even if i replace the tie rod its not going to solve the problem because my bad tie rod isnt bent it just has some play in it right now, but the toe is still so far out and the inner tie rods have no thread left so they told me the problem must be something else like i need more parts with my lift and i should call Total Chaos.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
You went to 4 different shops, got the same answer and still don't believe them? Why should what we tell you make any difference?

Also, I've been told to do it, and did it... ask them to push the caster forward a bit.
No, i got a whole bunch of different answers none of them being true. the only one that might be a probability only because i havent checked them yet is my frame may be bent? (but i dont know how) and i may need additional parts to go with my TC UCAs and FOX COILOVERS. Or maybe im set to high right now and need to lower them but they are only at 3"
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Post pictures of the tie rods. GOOD pictures. and your alignment numbers
Old 04-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #10
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
You don't need any other parts, possibly lowering the coilovers will help but TC's are one of the best for alignments. I'd say fixing that tie rod is first and finding a better shop is second. Hell a dealership at this point will know more specifics for the truck and they'll prob charge you the same amount.

What are your measurements? Hub to fender?
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 907taco View Post
his profile says prerunner. doubt he has bad cv angles
Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
You don't need any other parts, possibly lowering the coilovers will help but TC's are one of the best for alignments. I'd say fixing that tie rod is first and finding a better shop is second. Hell a dealership at this point will know more specifics for the truck and they'll prob charge you the same amount.

What are your measurements? Hub to fender?
Ok ill post pics once i get a minute, but the readings are

Drivers side
Camber:-0.1
Caster: 3.3
Toe:-2.44

Passenger side
Camber:0.6
Caster:6.1
toe: -1.50
Old 04-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #14

the camber and caster are off to, but the toe the most. iv heard my spindles might need to be replaced or i might need TC lower control arms but i called Total Chaos and they told me i didnt need any of these with my kit so idk what the hell to try next?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #15
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
LIFT SPINDLES
Old 04-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post

Alright ill try that thanks for the tip man
Old 04-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
LIFT SPINDLES
I already have to much money invested into my new coilovers and UCAs to just eat it all and buy spindles plus i want suspension in front not just lift
Old 04-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Post pictures of the tie rods. GOOD pictures. and your alignment numbers
I actually got my inner tie rod replaced and its still off and cant get it straight. Im thinking maybe i have a bent spindle or my LCAs mounts on that side are bent.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan777 View Post
I already have to much money invested into my new coilovers and UCAs to just eat it all and buy spindles plus i want suspension in front not just lift
dude are you serious?spindles add to your suspension, it will make it 1000x better....
Old 05-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Shit dude, that sucks!