Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Does my suspension plans make sense?

Old 04-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kelly
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Does my suspension plans make sense?

So I have a 2012 Tacoma Double Cab Long Bed Sport. I have ordered 18x9 XD Monsters and 285/65/18 Nitto Trail Grapplers. They will be here by the end of the week. I need to get my lift ordered.

I was going to go with the Toytec Ultimate Lift kit, but they are back ordered on the rear shocks. they offered to give OME rear shocks, but I dont want silver/red coilovers up front and yellow shocks in the rear. Its stupid, but I dont want my 2012 to look like its wearing mis-matched socks. So I am planning on ordering a better suspension....

I am planning on ordering the Icon Extended Travel Stage 1 kit that is on the toytec website....
http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=72

Im also planning on putting on the Dakkar leaf springs, 7.5 inch u bolts, front diff drop, carrier bearing drop, axel shims.... I was planning on going the LR uca's but I spoke with DSM and they say the LR are more restrictive to the extended travel kit and I should be getting Total Chaos UCA's and get a stainless steel part (I believe its the uniball itself) since I live in Utah and have salt to deal with regularly in the winter.

I am not planning on doing alot of crazy offroading. I just want the best suspension while I am single and can afford it. I'll do some dirt trails, but nothing nuts. this will see alot of city / highway driving and some trails. no top over the bed either. I want to do the upgrades right the first time.

four questions then

Do I really need to go with the TC UCA's over the LR UCA's to take advantage of the extended travel shocks in the front?

Is the Dakkar leaf pack over kill?

Am I going to need anthing else for this lift?

This suspension should be bolt off the old and bolt on...is it more complicated then that?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Nick
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
the dakar leaf pack is not over kill. there is no such thing

extened brake lines will be recomened by me.
If toytec recommended you to do it, and the price range isnt that big, go for it.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
g35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud ofg35man has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
g35man's Tacoma Gallery
I have Icon stege II kit coming to me thursday. I have the ext. travel one's too but i'm going with with the LR uca's because it is not a big deal for light offroading.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Do you tow or haul alot? If not maybe you should look at the allpro standard leaf pack. I've had the dakars and they were great, but I now run the allpro's and they fit my needs better. Main difference would be the dakars overload springs can be a bit harsh if you wheel fast. Also, you probably wont need a front diff drop, and just pick either the CB drop or the shims. No need for both, but dont install it until you see if your truck gets a shutter..
Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
Do you tow or haul alot? If not maybe you should look at the allpro standard leaf pack. I've had the dakars and they were great, but I now run the allpro's and they fit my needs better. Main difference would be the dakars overload springs can be a bit harsh if you wheel fast. Also, you probably wont need a front diff drop, and just pick either the CB drop or the shims. No need for both, but dont install it until you see if your truck gets a shutter..
Agreed
Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande View Post
Marcos at DSM just pointed that out with the diff drop. I guess with the dakkars you don't need the shims since they are apparently built in already. I'm not planning on offroading hard or towing. I help friends move every once in a while though. I just want to do it right the first time.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIRS View Post
Marcos at DSM just pointed that out with the diff drop. I guess with the dakkars you don't need the shims since they are apparently built in already. I'm not planning on offroading hard or towing. I help friends move every once in a while though. I just want to do it right the first time.
The shims are not " built in " to the Dakars
Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
The shims are not " built in " to the Dakars
I guess I misunderstood him. He said the shims were not necessary, but the carrier bearing may be necessary. He also referred to the leaf springs as ARB's. Are the OME dakkars leafs the same as ARB?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #9

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess I misunderstood him. He said the shims were not necessary, but the carrier bearing may be necessary. He also referred to the leaf springs as ARB's. Are the OME dakkars leafs the same as ARB?
The OME Dakars are made by ARB , as is the rest of the OME stuff .

Axle shims are used to correct your pinion angle after the installation of your lift , they may or may not be needed . Perhaps it is their experience that they are generally not needed .
Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
There's a dude here running the LR UCA's and Icon ext travel but for a little more you might as well do it right like you said! I agree that the All Pro standards will ride a lot smoother than the Dakars....they're great just built for hauling duty and not comfort/flex!

You'll be happy with the Icon's, that's what I'm switching to as well!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Part of the problem with the TC UCA's is the uniball will rust / wear out I suppose within the next year or so since I live in SLC, Utah and have salt on the roads in the winter. TC is about to release some UCA's with stainless steel uniballs so that wont be an issue. It looks like I will just have to remove them when the go bad and replace them. the new uniballs wont be available for another month. unfortunately, I cant wait since I have to trade in my tires in a week or so, so I cant hold on.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqoma View Post
camburg's uniballs are stainless steel I think. you ask about those?

I did not. Going TC was a recent decision anyways. I was going the LR route until I found they were restrictive for the Extended Travel shocks that I'm ordering. What is the price difference between the two?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you have to go with the Camburg 2.5 coilovers to use their UCA? http://www.camburg.com/whats-new/toy...nt-upper-arms/

or am I looking at the wrong UCA?
Wrong UCA's. Here are the ones with SS uniball
http://www.camburg.com/toyota/05-11-...ll-upper-arms/
Old 04-03-2012, 10:32 AM   #20
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Its happening with all of them. I had asked the question too and there were a few members that rotated the entire spring just enough to allow the uca to land between the coils. Looks like that's the only way around it other than limit straps if you you don't plan on fully drooping it (jumps etc) you should be fine! Another option is to just get the regular non extended version and LR uca's will work fine with those. Your loosing about 7/8" of down travel and would be hardly noticeable!