1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buy once, Cry once...

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by LT1, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    OP , I suggest OME 885's with Billy 5100's at zero up front , this will get you 2 1/2" front lift .

I would suggest 5100's and OME Dakars for your rear lift due to the fact you are going to be carrying a cap full time but an AAL will get you by for a while and you could upgrade to Dakars later .

LR UCA's are a good addition , but at 2 1/2" of front lift you could also get by without them for a while .

2. Apr 5, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM DC/LB/4x4/TRD supa sport!
    Limo Tint all the way around, tailgate theft mod, Console Vault, EGR vent visors, debadged emblems, TRD door emblems, Sockmonkey TOYOTA tailgate sticker, OME 3" lift w/aal, BAMF sliders, BHLM, MKW offroad M88 black 18" wheels.. for now..
    You suggested this earlier.. and I got side tracked.. I think your suggestion makes great sense... I guess that's why I used your pic in the initial post. :D

So I'm thinking Billie 5100's all around ($334 @ DSM), OME 885 coils ($163 @ Wheeler's Offroad), LR UCA's ($380 @ Fat Bob's), an AAL ($70 @ Fat Bob's).

That's $947 without shipping (which I hear is a rape!) but that's also without any discount coupons!

Do I need anything else? like the diff drop? sway bar relocate?? all these random things that were on a "complete" kit, I have no idea if they're truly necessary.. Also are there incidental costs I need to consider? I know I have to get an alignment, which can vary greatly in price, but I hear some companies offer lifetime alignment.

I have a couple TW'ers that are willing to help me install already, so I'm good there (just pizza/beer costs)..

Am I missing anything else?:confused:

3. Apr 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    1/4" top plate spacer for the driver's side lean

OME CB drop

4. Apr 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM
    NRXTM

NRXTM Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    2011 toyota tacoma
    a floor jack will get you about 6 inches of lift for about $100 :p

5. Apr 5, 2012 at 7:26 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Limo Tint all the way around, tailgate theft mod, Console Vault, EGR vent visors, debadged emblems, TRD door emblems, Sockmonkey TOYOTA tailgate sticker, OME 3" lift w/aal, BAMF sliders, BHLM, MKW offroad M88 black 18" wheels.. for now..
    Thanks! you've been ever-so-helpful..

uh.... thanks..:rolleyes:

6. Apr 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Would ^^^this be an option? Where would I get just rear billies though?

7. Apr 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    You can buy just rear Billies at any of the vendors

8. Apr 6, 2012 at 8:43 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    OP, your using OZ's truck as a model for your setup?

Please, please don't give that guy a reason to inflate his ego anymore than it already is. I mean, shit... this site is practically called "OZ's World" already. Damn sycophants.

:canada:

(Love ya' OZ)

BTW: My 1,000th post was insulting OZ!!! God Bless America!!!

9. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:14 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    So it turns out I had a little bit more $$ than I thought, so now the question is, whats the difference between OME kit and one aside from the obvious price??

For those of you who didn't wanna click the link, its the OME kit from wheelers offroad, and the one from Toytec. Thanks again guys for all the help!!

10. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    The Wheelers complete kit includes Dakars
    The Toytec base price is with an AAL unless you chose the Dakars from the rear lift option drop down

11. Apr 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM
    mainewoodsballer

mainewoodsballer YESSAHBUD...heyut

Member:
    First Name:
    Ol' Waltah
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB TRD Sport (Pyrite Mica)
    Check out my Build to See!
    Can't you just get the Bilstein 5100's up front for just over 200 bucks set them at 2.5 and use stock coils. Then get the AAL for 80 bucks.. all from Toyotec? Thats pretty cheap. Or will you NEED UCAs? idk. Because then you can always get new coils in the future.

12. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Yes , you can but the ride will be stiffer than getting longer coils

13. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    tacomarotto

tacomarotto "Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Jacksonville
    Vehicle:
    Audi S3

1) iv real countless posts of yours and i just realized youre a girl... right over meh head....

2)she has a really good pointer here.

3) read read read, learn, apply, save money! like i did.

make it a hobby! its a fun..... aaaaaaaaand expensive. sometimes.... a lot....

14. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I am running OME on both my Tacoma and 4Runner. I got 3" of lift front and rear with them both on stock UCA's and the alignment was within specs with the exception of caster on the 4Runner (day after install). Camber, toe we completely within spec's and after settling I'm pretty sure I can go in and get the caster within spec.

15. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM
    LT1

LT1 [OP] Noob-ish

Member:
    SoCal-OC
    Vehicle:
    Sweet!! I think I might be able to squeeze this into the budget!!! And that'll pretty much leave me sittin exactly as you have it right? Is it just another spacer or two to achieve a "true" 3in. lift?

Do I still need to get that small spacer for the driver side lean??

My wife says she doesn't wanna have any problems with the lift jacking anything up, so UCA's it is.. And if I'm already gonna do that, might as well go the whole 9 yards! Thanks for the input though.. Everyone's had one way or another for me get this thing lifted... even if its just a $100 floor jack:facepalm:

Fortunately it's built into my process here! I won't be able to make the purchases for at least another 2 weeks.. I'm doing a lot of overtime this week, and the money doesn't come in for another pay period or so.. so in the meantime I'm learnin, readin, and :drool: (droolin)

16. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    885's and Nitrochargers on the Tacoma ?

17. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:21 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    Nitrocharger shocks and 882's. It's a 2003 Extracab with bulbar and had a winch when I put them on. Running Nitrocharger sport shocks and 887 coils on the front of the 4Runner and 889's in the rear of the 4Runner.

18. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Phone both places and double check before you order , your Wheelers link just showed the whole OME page

I got 2 1/2" from the 885 coils on my DCLB 4x4 , if you are a prerunner you may get slightly more , if not you can add a 1/4" top plate spacer to each side for an additional 1/2" of lift .

If you get OME front shocks , the OME trim packer is what you use to correct the driver's side " taco lean "

19. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:24 PM
    OZ-T

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Oh , I see

20. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM
    4x4Runner

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I don't know why people suggest getting new UCA's on a 3" or less lift, that is unless you go with some 285's or larger tires. I'm running stock UCA's on both my rigs and stock tires on the 4Runner. I may have missed it but what is the OP running for tires?

Products Discussed in

To Top