Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Buy once, Cry once...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
LT1 [OP] LT1 is offline
Noob-ish
LT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
LT1's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52354
Location: SoCal-OC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 371
LT1's Tacoma Gallery
Buy once, Cry once...

So I finally talked the wife into letting me spend some dough on a lift kit. Problem is, my budget is somewhere south of $1200 completely installed. Now some of you may think I'm a retard because I can't make a lift work for $1200, but that's why I'm coming to you guys. Here's my dilemma:

1)I'd like a roughly 3" lift, slightly below 3 is ok, but I do have a DCLB, I think it looks better a little higher than lower.

2)I don't want to have problems with the alignment because I have a tire warranty (Autonation Tire Warranty) that'll be voided if my alignment is jacking up the tires, so I guess I have to get UCA's now.. (more money)

3)I have no clue how to install any of these things, and the only think I would feel comfortable to "tackle" is the rear lift (with some knowledgeable people and plenty of beer/pizza). So that means a professional installation w/alignment. (more money)

Looking at Toytec's website, I can't afford a decent "complete" lift kit (w/UCA's and installation) So I'm considering starting with a front lift only at this time. And slowly save up for the rear.

I'd like to try to make it as affordable as possible so I was thinking Down South Motorsports for the Billies and maybe toytec for coils (OME/Eibach??). I have no clue where to get UCA's I heard Light Racing makes decent "affordable" ones and supposedly Fat Bob's is the cheapest..

Do I need all the other things that come with the "complete" lift kits? like the Diff drop, Sway bar relocate, etc.. What am I missing here? All this thinking of what is a need/want is confusing the shit out of me.. someone please help!

Below is OZ-T's build. I love how he has his ride set up. But I think he spent more than I can afford, thus my breaking up the costs. I don't want to skimp on anything that I will regret later... "buy once, cry once" right??


So.... Help?? If I can get some suggestions on how to lift my truck PROPERLY (so as to not void my tire or any other warranty) and installed below $1200 I would be ever indebted to you..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #3
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Twistedfreedom's Avatar
Name: Adam
Joined: Sep 2011, #63386
Location: Spokane, WA
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,815
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
$1110 on wheelers for the complete OME setup with rear Dakars...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
OZ-T's Avatar
Name: Peter North
Joined: Dec 2009, #27584
Location: British Columbia
Gender: Dude
Posts: 12,550
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
OME 885's , OME shocks or 5100's , LR UCA's and go with an AAL for now
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
Senior Member
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Hiatt1991's Avatar
Name: Hiatt
Joined: Aug 2010, #41917
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,196
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 View Post
So I finally talked the wife into letting me spend some dough on a lift kit. Problem is, my budget is somewhere south of $1200 completely installed. Now some of you may think I'm a retard because I can't make a lift work for $1200, but that's why I'm coming to you guys. Here's my dilemma:

1)I'd like a roughly 3" lift, slightly below 3 is ok, but I do have a DCLB, I think it looks better a little higher than lower.

2)I don't want to have problems with the alignment because I have a tire warranty (Autonation Tire Warranty) that'll be voided if my alignment is jacking up the tires, so I guess I have to get UCA's now.. (more money)

3)I have no clue how to install any of these things, and the only think I would feel comfortable to "tackle" is the rear lift (with some knowledgeable people and plenty of beer/pizza). So that means a professional installation w/alignment. (more money)

Looking at Toytec's website, I can't afford a decent "complete" lift kit (w/UCA's and installation) So I'm considering starting with a front lift only at this time. And slowly save up for the rear.

I'd like to try to make it as affordable as possible so I was thinking Down South Motorsports for the Billies and maybe toytec for coils (OME/Eibach??). I have no clue where to get UCA's I heard Light Racing makes decent "affordable" ones and supposedly Fat Bob's is the cheapest..

Do I need all the other things that come with the "complete" lift kits? like the Diff drop, Sway bar relocate, etc.. What am I missing here? All this thinking of what is a need/want is confusing the shit out of me.. someone please help!

Below is OZ-T's build. I love how he has his ride set up. But I think he spent more than I can afford, thus my breaking up the costs. I don't want to skimp on anything that I will regret later... "buy once, cry once" right??


So.... Help?? If I can get some suggestions on how to lift my truck PROPERLY (so as to not void my tire or any other warranty) and installed below $1200 I would be ever indebted to you..
I'm in. Send a PM to Manwithoutaplan. We have installed countless lifts at his house including mine.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Hiatt1991's Avatar
Name: Hiatt
Joined: Aug 2010, #41917
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,196
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
$1110 on wheelers for the complete OME setup with rear Dakars...
This. Ome is a legit setup
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Janster's Avatar
Name: Jandy
Joined: Mar 2007, #1138
Location: Lancaster, PA
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,142
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Slow down....... relax... take a few deep breathes....

You don't need a lift NOW...so save some more money, do some more research, search the forums, do some reading, ask more questions... and when you've finally hit the jackpot of knowledge - you'll know exactly what you need and you'll know how to install it yourself.

If I can learn to do it (Yeah, I'm a girl), then anyone can!! Don't waste your money on labor costs.

Go have a beer ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #8
Senior Member
2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold2011TacoBeav is a splendid one to behold
 
2011TacoBeav's Avatar
Name: Bret
Joined: Aug 2011, #62165
Location: Oregon
Gender: Male
Posts: 213
2011TacoBeav's Tacoma Gallery
Before you place an order on anything look high and low for coupon codes or rate reduction codes.

I recently lifted mine and spent a lot of time researching. Which I'm certainly glad I did. It familiarized me with the products out there, their prices and helped me to discern what my needs versus wishes were.

I ended up getting LR UCAs and bilstein 5100s from down south using coupon codes. Then went to toytec for their AAL, one top plate spacer to remove drivers side lean, and their eibach coils.

I have no vibes or driveline issues and didn't instal shims, or any other drop kit stuff. This is not to say that you won't have any. Just that mine ended up just fine.

I'm sure some folks on here that are located near you would lend a hand installing the lift for a few beers

Me and one buddy installed mine in less than 6 hours. And it was my first lift instal so I think it's safe to say that it's certainly worth it to instal on your own with new TW friends.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
LT1 [OP] LT1 is offline
Noob-ish
LT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
LT1's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52354
Location: SoCal-OC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 371
LT1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Looks familiar
Yeah, well your ride is one sweet ass ride.. I really like the setup.. I even have a shell.. Soon enough.. we'll be TWINSIES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
$1110 on wheelers for the complete OME setup with rear Dakars...
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
OME 885's , OME shocks or 5100's , LR UCA's and go with an AAL for now
Do I need an AAL if I have a '12 with the TSB already in place??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
I'm in. Send a PM to Manwithoutaplan. We have installed countless lifts at his house including mine.
Man, you guys rock!! Thanks for the help... I'll PM u guys when its time..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Slow down....... relax... take a few deep breathes....

You don't need a lift NOW...so save some more money, do some more research, search the forums, do some reading, ask more questions... and when you've finally hit the jackpot of knowledge - you'll know exactly what you need and you'll know how to install it yourself.

If I can learn to do it (Yeah, I'm a girl), then anyone can!! Don't waste your money on labor costs.
^^^ Thats hot...

Go have a beer ...
^^ I can't... I'm at work If they knew I was TW-ing? and drinking.. it'd be over..

Man! (or woman?).. you guys kick ass.. thanks for the quick replies and support! I though TW was gonna go to shit with all the ADs and stuff, and I was preparing for the end of TW as we knew it.. but we're still going strong!!! Thanks TW!!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
OZ-T's Avatar
Name: Peter North
Joined: Dec 2009, #27584
Location: British Columbia
Gender: Dude
Posts: 12,550
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 View Post
Yeah, well your ride is one sweet ass ride.. I really like the setup.. I even have a shell.. Soon enough.. we'll be TWINSIES!!!


Do I need an AAL if I have a '12 with the TSB already in place??

With 2 1/2 -3" of front lift you will be nose high if you leave the rear where it is , especially with a cap .

Do you have the cap on all the time ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #12
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Jerez's Avatar
Name: Roderick
Joined: Feb 2010, #30488
Location: Ontario/Chino Area (CALI)
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,175
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiatt1991 View Post
I'm in. Send a PM to Manwithoutaplan. We have installed countless lifts at his house including mine.
X2 if you set something up with Ryan then I'm sure most of the so cal tacomas few up here will roll to help install it all
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #13
LT1 [OP] LT1 is offline
Noob-ish
LT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
LT1's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52354
Location: SoCal-OC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 371
LT1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Yup. that, plus UCA plus labor will be pushing the 1200 limit


Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
With 2 1/2 -3" of front lift you will be nose high if you leave the rear where it is , especially with a cap .


Do you have the cap on all the time ?
^^^I want to take off my cap for the summer, but I don't have any place to put it, so for the most the shell stays on.. Do you think the complete OME setup that twistedfreedom suggested (Includes NitroCharger front and rear shocks, 885 front coil springs, Dakar rear leaf springs w/ bushings, front trim packer, driveline bearing drop kit and u-bolts) will work out ok with the shell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerez View Post
X2 if you set something up with Ryan then I'm sure most of the so cal tacomas few up here will roll to help install it all
Thanks guys!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 AM   #14
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
OZ-T's Avatar
Name: Peter North
Joined: Dec 2009, #27584
Location: British Columbia
Gender: Dude
Posts: 12,550
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 View Post
^^^I want to take off my cap for the summer, but I don't have any place to put it, so for the most the shell stays on.. Do you think the complete OME setup that twistedfreedom suggested (Includes NitroCharger front and rear shocks, 885 front coil springs, Dakar rear leaf springs w/ bushings, front trim packer, driveline bearing drop kit and u-bolts) will work out ok with the shell?
That's my exact set up , plus I added LR UCA's
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #15
.45%er
the.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shedthe.sight.picture is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
the.sight.picture's Avatar
Army:
Name: Nick
Joined: Jan 2012, #71180
Location: VA
Gender: Dude
Posts: 3,128
the.sight.picture's Tacoma Gallery
yes
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 AM   #16
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Twistedfreedom's Avatar
Name: Adam
Joined: Sep 2011, #63386
Location: Spokane, WA
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,815
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
It will work fine. The only reason I didn't get the Dakars is because I didn't think I'd need the extra payload capacity they provide. Now that I'm have a crazy build going on I'm starting to regret that decision a little.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #17
LT1 [OP] LT1 is offline
Noob-ish
LT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
LT1's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52354
Location: SoCal-OC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 371
LT1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That's my exact set up , plus I added LR UCA's
Do you really think the UCA's were necessary? Cause here's the deal, I can't afford both UCA's and the complete OME setup. Should I get the front OME setup with UCA's and just get the rear done later? or should I go with the complete OME setup and do the UCA's later??
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:33 AM   #18
LT1 [OP] LT1 is offline
Noob-ish
LT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLT1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
LT1's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52354
Location: SoCal-OC
Gender: Dude
Posts: 371
LT1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
It will work fine. The only reason I didn't get the Dakars is because I didn't think I'd need the extra payload capacity they provide. Now that I'm have a crazy build going on I'm starting to regret that decision a little.
I appreciate your input.. I'd hate to regret things later. For the most part, I've done the build ok. There's not really anything I completely regret. Except maybe how much lighter my wallet is..
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:45 AM   #19
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Twistedfreedom's Avatar
Name: Adam
Joined: Sep 2011, #63386
Location: Spokane, WA
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,815
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1 View Post
I appreciate your input.. I'd hate to regret things later. For the most part, I've done the build ok. There's not really anything I completely regret. Except maybe how much lighter my wallet is..
I understand that! I don't even want to know how much i've spent.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:48 AM   #20
Senior Member
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
Joined: Oct 2011, #64844
Location: San Diego
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 645
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
I would save up more money to get some coil overs in front and remotes inback ,you are not far off.
But if you need to lift it right this moment
5100s in front set to lift 2-2.5" and invest in a good leafs/rear shocks to level out.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cry Baby BIGGJERRYC Off-Topic Discussion 10 03-28-2012 01:02 PM
Have you ever seen your mother cry? BigBawlzTaco Health 5 08-23-2009 06:33 AM
One way to make a grown man cry. Taco93 2nd Gen. Tacomas 45 08-14-2009 05:05 PM
Ice rocks falling from the sky, make me wanna cry...... eordonez Detailing 35 05-21-2009 10:18 AM
Daddy Drinks Because I Cry tcBob Off-Topic Discussion 6 01-04-2008 06:52 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.