Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon, bad sound.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Ryan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: S.G.F.D
Name: Ryan
Ryan07's Tacoma Gallery
Icon, bad sound.

Got a problem with one of my Icon coilovers. I'm getting a metal on metal sound when going over bumps at low speeds. Took the truck in to get ckecked out and the guy said it was coming from inside the coil. I went home took the coilover that was making the sound out and checked the bearings, everything looked Good, so I put it back on and took the truck for a drive, the sound didn't go away. Next I took both coilovers off and put my old oem coils with spacer on the truck and took it for a drive, the sound was gone.
I called Icon and they said to send them in, which is going to sick because I'm in New Brunswick Canada and they go to CA, but got to do what you got to do so they are going out tomorrow.

Coils have been on the truck for 6 months, So any ideas what it could be or has anyone had this problem? Thanks.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
jespi11 will become famous soon enoughjespi11 will become famous soon enough
Name: John
jespi11's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same exact problem with my Icons after only having them on the truck for 4 months... I took them in to my local fabrication shop and they recharged it with nitrogen. Seemed to quiet it down a little bit but i still didn't like it. Ended up ordering a rebuild kit for them and once taken apart the shop noticed that it had less oil in it than they were supposed to have... Replaced all seals, filled with oil and everything is working way better than before.....
The weird thing was that it wasn't leaking any oil at all. I bought them new as well. Hope this helps
Old 04-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Ryan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRyan07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ryan07's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jespi11 View Post
I had the same exact problem with my Icons after only having them on the truck for 4 months... I took them in to my local fabrication shop and they recharged it with nitrogen. Seemed to quiet it down a little bit but i still didn't like it. Ended up ordering a rebuild kit for them and once taken apart the shop noticed that it had less oil in it than they were supposed to have... Replaced all seals, filled with oil and everything is working way better than before.....
The weird thing was that it wasn't leaking any oil at all. I bought them new as well. Hope this helps
Thanks, this was a big help. This sounds exactly what is going on.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
jr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjr114 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jon
jr114's Tacoma Gallery
are you using the sway bar relocates?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed09Tacomania is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
09Tacomania's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with that. I just put mine in. Keep us posted. Thanks for the info. This forum is the balls!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
jdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdmdcfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jdmdcfan's Tacoma Gallery
subbed
Old 04-19-2012, 01:05 PM   #12

Ryan07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jespi11 View Post
This was the problem, Icon said the nitrogen leaked by a rolled O ring probably when they were made. All the seals were replaced/rebuilt, tests were done and everything is a green light, so they are on there way back to me. The guy who worked on them was very professional and answered all my questions, can't wait to get them back on the truck
Old 05-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #16
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
So its a metal on metal sound? I developed a squeak from that spot a few days ago took me a while to figure out where it was coming from exactly though...
Old 05-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #17

Ryan07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
So its a metal on metal sound? I developed a squeak from that spot a few days ago took me a while to figure out where it was coming from exactly though...
Yeah, when I took them off there was a wear spot on the side of the coilover, so I think I'll stick something between it and drive around.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #18
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Mine did/do that too off and on! On the FJ forum they figured it was the wiper seal. I guess they use a very aggressive seal and it dries out easily and makes the squeak with the slighest movement. I rubbed a little grease on the shaft where it meets the shock and drove around! It went away "mostly" but it's back.....!

Race truck suspension makes race truck noises!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:14 AM   #19
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Oh ya, now that I look closer there should be a small gap there!