1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon extended travel coils non resi

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by KalamaKid, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Ok i'm ditching the Toytec coilovers (due to increased weight on my front end) and selling them to another member. I have light racing UCA's on my pickup right now. I talked to Dan from wheelersoffroad.com (vender here) and he say's my UCA's would be perfect for the Icon extended travel COs . I have a 100lb all pro bumper with a 100lb winch up front. I also will be bolting on some skids up front that will weight 90lb's. Anyone have any reason why a 650 spring rate Icon front coil wouldn't be perfect for me up front? I do not race the truck and don't need the resi's. For the rear I'm going to put on the Alacan rear leafs and keep my 5100's for now. I'll be adding the extended brake lines of course as well.

So question is, who is running this and what should I look out for? Whats your review on this type of set up? I drive 50% gravel roads or off road. Other 50% to work and back. How's the street feel? Should I look at a stronger coil up front? Who makes a non LT stronger Tie Rod? Should I buy more monster engergy drinks and give up coffee? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help ppl! :cool:

2. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM
    SAIRS

SAIRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Super White 2012 Double Cab LB TRD SPORT
    Icon Extended Travel Stage 1, Total Chaos UCA's, Dakkar leaf pack, Beefed DCLB Sliders with extended kickout and custom BSP, Beefed Custom exo-rear tube bumper, Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft mod. Front mudflaps removed, Access LE soft tonneau cover, Weathertech digital floor mat, Weathertech window deflectors, Weathertech license plate frames. future plans = diamond plate tailgate mod, Venture Shield, TRD supercharger...the dream goes on and on....
    I just ordered Icon stage 1 with extended travel. i was going to go with LR UCA's but I was told the LR are slightly restrictive for the extended travel shocks. I went with Total Chaos and they should be arriving tomorrow.

3. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:29 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    i was told that any extended travel shock will need to be used with a uniball uca

4. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    KalamaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    Now that's my worry but i've been told they are fine for this setup.

Some uniball UCA's will contact the spring will full extension like a 1.25 uniball. Dan from wheelers is telling me the LR's are just fine for this setup. The LR's will allow more down travel. At least the down travel that I need.

5. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:43 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    I don't think a ball joint will give you the articulation you need to be honest.
    When i took off my stock UCAs after installing the OME 885x and putting camburg 1.25" uniball UCA on I gained about a 1/2" of lift because my stock BJ was maxed out.

EDIT: I'm not saying that the LR UCAs are a bad choice but if you're going with Icons do it right the first time and get uniballs they ride so much smoother.

6. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    KalamaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    Yeah adam I know what your saying but the LR's have some more travel in them then stock. Let me find a link...

once the coil/shock has extended to it's max and its not the max of the UCA ball joint isn't that good enough?

EDIT: This is from wheelers web site

"FJ Cruiser's start to run out of factory alignment adjustment when you install 2"+ lift kits. With Light Racing's patent pending design this upper control arm provides an additional ±2° of caster and 0° to +5° of camber change. Built with an OE style ball joint and bushings, this arm is designed to correct alignment angles while maintaining factory ride quality, with no noise as associated with Uni-Ball type arms. Long service life can be expected with no regular maintenance required. The hybrid tubular and forged steel design is tough enough to race - on or off-road. These remove and replace arms are available in pairs for lifted and off-road applications. Great for use with any lift kit or standard length and extended length coilovers."

Wish someone had a pic of them with a extended travel coil at full extension on these UCA's...

7. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:49 PM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    with the larger ball joint on the light racing UCAs, you have plenty of articulation for the extended icons. the stock ball joint however will not work.

i have extended icons and the LR UCAs, and with the truck on stands, when i unbolt the shock from the LCA, i can push the entire assembly down another inch or so before maxing out the ball joint on the uca. the CVs start to bind at that point as well.

8. Apr 5, 2012 at 10:53 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Colin tuns icon ext travel with lr lca's. Hit him up. All pro sells a hd tie rod, not sure of the price though.

9. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:03 PM
    KalamaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    Are you talking about the LCA or UCA?

10. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Kings, AP 3" leaf pack, timbrens front and rear, TC UCA's, pro comp 7189's, baja ATZ's, CBI sliders and rear, relentless front, dynomax catback
    Just noticed i said lca. I meant uca.

11. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:06 PM
    mgrande

mgrande iKill

Member:
    Raleigh
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD off road
    Ahhh shit. Colin posted before me!

12. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM
    KalamaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    Well I'm curious about how much travel the stock lower ball joint's could handle too. Although I don't think i'll hit that low end that much unless i'm driving around like an dork

13. Apr 5, 2012 at 11:17 PM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
  14. Apr 6, 2012 at 8:19 AM
    KalamaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
  15. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM
    Mitch

Mitch Somebody call for a Wambulance?

Member:
    First Name:
    Mitch
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2007 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    Lights, Siren, Drugs, Needles, Electricity
    Did you do something to this today? Because I got an email that said you wrote something, but nothing new is here

16. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM
    Dr. Sleep

Dr. Sleep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DoubleCab SR5 4X4
    I'm running the Icon extended travel coilovers with a heavy winch and AllPro plate steel bumper. But I'm using Camburg UCAs. So, I can't comment on if the LT UCAs will be a problem or not, but I am considering upgrading to a different coil spring -- maybe a King 14" long 700lb/inch spring. See this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/212046-icon-2-5-c-os-king-14x700-springs.html

This guy has already replaced his Icon coil spring with the King one mentioned and he will likely be installing his aftermarket plate steel bumper and winch this weekend . . . can get his opinions on ride quality.

My coils are cranked to here:

April20122_9f52510a0a5624bec173b1edbd70107dfd777108.jpg

17. Apr 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM
    Dr. Sleep

Dr. Sleep Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    07 DoubleCab SR5 4X4
    With this level of preload on the Icons, my lift is as seen here, measured from the center of the wheel to the fender:

Frontcenterwheeltofender-4-12_445661ee9930f6e7f1673ef4f3f87aadc0127542.jpg

18. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:44 PM
    wrmathis

wrmathis Dark Lord of the Sith

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Bonaire, GA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    parts and stuff
    i did run the icon extended travel with LR UCA's with all pro front bumper and ATO IFS Skid plate with Supercharger and everything was fine, never had any issues with not enough travel on the LR UCA's. i did however upgrad to the ICON Tubular UCA's. mostly didnt want to deal with the bushings since they were gettin jacked up

19. Apr 6, 2012 at 6:57 PM
    GreenTaco28

GreenTaco28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 SR5
    ARB bumper-Icon 2.5 ext. travel coilovers with King coils and Total Chaos uca's-hella lights-2 12'' JL Audio subs- 285/75/r16 BFG AT's- Marlin Crawler 1.5 in. wheel spacers- Toytec AAL with 5100's in rear-Flowmaster dual exhaust- Black UWS Toolbox- Bushwacker fender flares- Viper alarm system.
    I would go with a King 700 lb coil on the Icons like the others have said because the coil is longer and you can have less preload on the coilovers. I just ordered some King coils because I have a lot of preload on my icons and I only have the ARB bumper.

20. Apr 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    KalamaKid

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    ...Maybe I should just get a set of Fox's with a 700lb spring? Would that be overkill for a access cab? Not sure what the weight difference is (moment) on the front shocks between a access cab and a double cab.

Products Discussed in

To Top