Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Icon extended travel coils non resi

Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #1
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
Icon extended travel coils non resi

Ok i'm ditching the Toytec coilovers (due to increased weight on my front end) and selling them to another member. I have light racing UCA's on my pickup right now. I talked to Dan from wheelersoffroad.com (vender here) and he say's my UCA's would be perfect for the Icon extended travel COs Link. I have a 100lb all pro bumper with a 100lb winch up front. I also will be bolting on some skids up front that will weight 90lb's. Anyone have any reason why a 650 spring rate Icon front coil wouldn't be perfect for me up front? I do not race the truck and don't need the resi's. For the rear I'm going to put on the Alacan rear leafs Link and keep my 5100's for now. I'll be adding the extended brake lines of course as well.

So question is, who is running this and what should I look out for? Whats your review on this type of set up? I drive 50% gravel roads or off road. Other 50% to work and back. How's the street feel? Should I look at a stronger coil up front? Who makes a non LT stronger Tie Rod? Should I buy more monster engergy drinks and give up coffee?

Thanks for the help ppl!
Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
SAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shedSAIRS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kelly
SAIRS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalamaKid View Post
Ok i'm ditching the Toytec coilovers (due to increased weight on my front end) and selling them to another member. I have light racing UCA's on my pickup right now. I talked to Dan from wheelersoffroad.com (vender here) and he say's my UCA's would be perfect for the Icon extended travel COs Link. I have a 100lb all pro bumper with a 100lb winch up front. I also will be bolting on some skids up front that will weight 90lb's. Anyone have any reason why a 650 spring rate Icon front coil wouldn't be perfect for me up front? I do not race the truck and don't need the resi's. For the rear I'm going to put on the Alacan rear leafs Link and keep my 5100's for now. I'll be adding the extended brake lines of course as well.

So question is, who is running this and what should I look out for? Whats your review on this type of set up? I drive 50% gravel roads or off road. Other 50% to work and back. How's the street feel? Should I look at a stronger coil up front? Who makes a non LT stronger Tie Rod? Should I buy more monster engergy drinks and give up coffee?

Thanks for the help ppl!
I just ordered Icon stage 1 with extended travel. i was going to go with LR UCA's but I was told the LR are slightly restrictive for the extended travel shocks. I went with Total Chaos and they should be arriving tomorrow.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
i was told that any extended travel shock will need to be used with a uniball uca
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIRS View Post
I just ordered Icon stage 1 with extended travel. i was going to go with LR UCA's but I was told the LR are slightly restrictive for the extended travel shocks. I went with Total Chaos and they should be arriving tomorrow.
Now that's my worry but i've been told they are fine for this setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post
i was told that any extended travel shock will need to be used with a uniball uca
Some uniball UCA's will contact the spring will full extension like a 1.25 uniball. Dan from wheelers is telling me the LR's are just fine for this setup. The LR's will allow more down travel. At least the down travel that I need.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think a ball joint will give you the articulation you need to be honest.
When i took off my stock UCAs after installing the OME 885x and putting camburg 1.25" uniball UCA on I gained about a 1/2" of lift because my stock BJ was maxed out.

EDIT: I'm not saying that the LR UCAs are a bad choice but if you're going with Icons do it right the first time and get uniballs they ride so much smoother.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Yeah adam I know what your saying but the LR's have some more travel in them then stock. Let me find a link...

once the coil/shock has extended to it's max and its not the max of the UCA ball joint isn't that good enough?

EDIT: This is from wheelers web site

"FJ Cruiser's start to run out of factory alignment adjustment when you install 2"+ lift kits. With Light Racing's patent pending design this upper control arm provides an additional ±2° of caster and 0° to +5° of camber change. Built with an OE style ball joint and bushings, this arm is designed to correct alignment angles while maintaining factory ride quality, with no noise as associated with Uni-Ball type arms. Long service life can be expected with no regular maintenance required. The hybrid tubular and forged steel design is tough enough to race - on or off-road. These remove and replace arms are available in pairs for lifted and off-road applications. Great for use with any lift kit or standard length and extended length coilovers."

Wish someone had a pic of them with a extended travel coil at full extension on these UCA's...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
with the larger ball joint on the light racing UCAs, you have plenty of articulation for the extended icons. the stock ball joint however will not work.

i have extended icons and the LR UCAs, and with the truck on stands, when i unbolt the shock from the LCA, i can push the entire assembly down another inch or so before maxing out the ball joint on the uca. the CVs start to bind at that point as well.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: SGT (ret.), 0311, 1st Battalion 6th Marines
mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Colin tuns icon ext travel with lr lca's. Hit him up. All pro sells a hd tie rod, not sure of the price though.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
with the larger ball joint on the light racing UCAs, you have plenty of articulation for the extended icons. the stock ball joint however will not work.

i have extended icons and the LR UCAs, and with the truck on stands, when i unbolt the shock from the LCA, i can push the entire assembly down another inch or so before maxing out the ball joint on the uca. the CVs start to bind at that point as well.
Are you talking about the LCA or UCA?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #10
iKill
mgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shedmgrande is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you talking about the LCA or UCA?
Just noticed i said lca. I meant uca.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
iKill

mgrande's Tacoma Gallery
Ahhh shit. Colin posted before me!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
Well I'm curious about how much travel the stock lower ball joint's could handle too. Although I don't think i'll hit that low end that much unless i'm driving around like an dork
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Old 04-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Did you do something to this today? Because I got an email that said you wrote something, but nothing new is here
Old 04-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #16
Dr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant future

Air Force: Active Duty AF physician
Name: Shane
Dr. Sleep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

So question is, who is running this and what should I look out for? Whats your review on this type of set up? I drive 50% gravel roads or off road. Other 50% to work and back. How's the street feel? Should I look at a stronger coil up front?

Thanks for the help ppl!
I'm running the Icon extended travel coilovers with a heavy winch and AllPro plate steel bumper. But I'm using Camburg UCAs. So, I can't comment on if the LT UCAs will be a problem or not, but I am considering upgrading to a different coil spring -- maybe a King 14" long 700lb/inch spring. See this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...0-springs.html

This guy has already replaced his Icon coil spring with the King one mentioned and he will likely be installing his aftermarket plate steel bumper and winch this weekend . . . can get his opinions on ride quality.

My coils are cranked to here:

Old 04-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
Dr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant futureDr. Sleep has a brilliant future

Air Force: Active Duty AF physician
Name: Shane
Dr. Sleep's Tacoma Gallery
With this level of preload on the Icons, my lift is as seen here, measured from the center of the wheel to the fender:

Old 04-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #18
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
i did run the icon extended travel with LR UCA's with all pro front bumper and ATO IFS Skid plate with Supercharger and everything was fine, never had any issues with not enough travel on the LR UCA's. i did however upgrad to the ICON Tubular UCA's. mostly didnt want to deal with the bushings since they were gettin jacked up
Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
GreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
GreenTaco28's Tacoma Gallery
I would go with a King 700 lb coil on the Icons like the others have said because the coil is longer and you can have less preload on the coilovers. I just ordered some King coils because I have a lot of preload on my icons and I only have the ARB bumper.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #20
...Maybe I should just get a set of Fox's with a 700lb spring? Would that be overkill for a access cab? Not sure what the weight difference is (moment) on the front shocks between a access cab and a double cab.