1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift kit for 2011 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by fitztaco, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:43 AM
    fitztaco

fitztaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Pkg
    Hi All,

Sorry for the noob question...but I'm pretty new to the site and brimming with enthusiasm about modifying my Taco. Brief intro tot he truck...it is a 2011 4 door cab, 6 spd manual transmission, 4.0l V6 with the TRD off-road package.

There is a wealth of information (slightly overwhelming in fact) here on adding a lift to your Tacoma. From my perspective it seems that there are two favorites, the Old Man Emu from ARB and the ultimate suspension lift kit from Toytec. I have to admit form a vanity perspective the Toytec looks badass with the red springs. But it seems like the major benefit to the Toytec, apart from it being adjustable, is that it comes with the coil overs already assembled and it also comes with sway bar relocates and the shims for aligning the rear axle pinions which the ARB kit doesn't come with.

So my questions are:

1. What are peoples opinions on each lift kit? Which one would be better bet and why?
    2. I also want to upgrade to larger wheels and tires. Should I stick with the 16 inch stock alloys I have and upgrade to 33's, or should I go to a 17 inch rim and 33's?
    3. Should I be concerned about rubbing with the wheel/tire size changes. I notice that some people have added a 1/4 inch spacer when adding 33 inch tires, but I would appreciate any thoughts on the best approach. I would like to try and avoid hacking up the wheel well although I don't care about removing the mud flaps obviously.

Thanks so much!
    Fitz.

2. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:47 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    Wheel size is up to you and if there is an aftermarket one you like. You'll have to trim to fit 33's. I have the cheaper Toytec kit($860ish) with Light Racing UCA's and have no complaints. The OME kit is great as well. I don't think you can really go wrong with either kit.

3. Apr 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM
    mcdowell

mcdowell My name is Mudd

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    mobile al
    Vehicle:
    2011 prerunner SR5
    2in Toytec leveling kit TSB 4 leafpack 130w KC driving lights Wsetin 3 tab lightbar Black headlights Trex eyelids TRD sport wheels Firestone MT Hood protector Vent visors Tube stepbars Colormatch grille
    Took off the 16s on mine and went 17s. Looks better in my opinion

4. Apr 6, 2012 at 11:07 AM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    Maybe I missed things but are you a prerunner or 4x4? what kinda budget? Or did I read over those two items? sorry if I missed them. However, Billies are great and I don't think I have ever heard anything bad about OME..ever everyone loves em. If you are a prerunner look into spindles. On a budget Billies or OME..Try to stay away from pro comp IMO...Just took mine off..Oh yeah I like 17's..Have to agree w/ Mr. Mcdowell

5. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:18 PM
    fitztaco

fitztaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    Hi Guys,

1. Budget is not a concern. Yep...I know I sound like a douchebag but I have been saving for a year and I have plenty to spend.
    2. This is not PreRunner. You can't get that model in 4 door double cab with a 6 speed manual transmission. In terms of the off-road, mostly just going to the desert and down into Baja. Some off-camber driving so I don't want a huge lift...3 inches tops. Do I need to worry about doing a castor correction for a lift over 2 inches? Just a point of curiosity.

Cheers,
    Fitz

6. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM
    k9cop

k9cop if your not the lead dog, the view never changes

Member:
    First Name:
    Farva
    Hogwarts
    Vehicle:
    10 tacoma dbl cab trd off road prerunner
    CST 3.5" spindles, King 2.5 rr ,All Pro Expo's, Ext. Billy 5100's rear, Ext rear All Pro brake lines, LR UCA's, debadged, Cobra 29,2ft firestick, satoshi by jim, ARB front bumper, Smittybuilt xrc8 winch, wethatecs, bhlm also by jimbob, belgium malinois and German Shepherd in bed
    Budget not a concern..go with king's
    Did not know you could not get a dc OR with a 6 speed prerunner. You will need an alignment when you lift.

7. Apr 6, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    Don't have a budget? Then get Kings.

but if not, IMO, OME is best bang for buck

8. Apr 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM
    fitztaco

fitztaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    The Kings aren't a complete kit are they? They also look a little hardcore for me since I'm new to this. That's why I liked the Toytec ultimate package. Also, any thoughts on replacement 17 inch rims and 33's?

Cheers,
    Fitz

9. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM
    Koby

Koby Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    06 access trd
    2in OME suspension lift ARB bull bar 8000lb WARN 32`duratracs on 17 procomp 7033`s
    I have a complete 2" ome setup with the 886's(HD) and would not do it again. I've had it for less than a year and the ass end is starting to settle unevenly. Driver side lower. Another guy at work has the same problem with his front end, had it replaced once under warranty, and it's starting to droop again. Looks like crap and will have to fix with spacers. I also find the ome quite clunky, especially at first. Spend more money and get a better setup. Do it right the first time! If you plan on a plate bumper/winch down the road....go 17" wheels for sure(more stable platform).

10. Apr 19, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    chadderkdawg

chadderkdawg Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..

Member:
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    09 FX4 F150
    This should be stickied for newbs "The proper way to ask a lift question." +1 for op for doing his research and asking specific questions.

Products Discussed in

To Top