Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Lift kit for 2011 Tacoma

Old 04-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
fitztaco is a jewel in the roughfitztaco is a jewel in the roughfitztaco is a jewel in the rough
Name: James
fitztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Lift kit for 2011 Tacoma

Hi All,

Sorry for the noob question...but I'm pretty new to the site and brimming with enthusiasm about modifying my Taco. Brief intro tot he truck...it is a 2011 4 door cab, 6 spd manual transmission, 4.0l V6 with the TRD off-road package.

There is a wealth of information (slightly overwhelming in fact) here on adding a lift to your Tacoma. From my perspective it seems that there are two favorites, the Old Man Emu from ARB and the ultimate suspension lift kit from Toytec. I have to admit form a vanity perspective the Toytec looks badass with the red springs. But it seems like the major benefit to the Toytec, apart from it being adjustable, is that it comes with the coil overs already assembled and it also comes with sway bar relocates and the shims for aligning the rear axle pinions which the ARB kit doesn't come with.

So my questions are:

1. What are peoples opinions on each lift kit? Which one would be better bet and why?
2. I also want to upgrade to larger wheels and tires. Should I stick with the 16 inch stock alloys I have and upgrade to 33's, or should I go to a 17 inch rim and 33's?
3. Should I be concerned about rubbing with the wheel/tire size changes. I notice that some people have added a 1/4 inch spacer when adding 33 inch tires, but I would appreciate any thoughts on the best approach. I would like to try and avoid hacking up the wheel well although I don't care about removing the mud flaps obviously.

Thanks so much!
Fitz.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel size is up to you and if there is an aftermarket one you like. You'll have to trim to fit 33's. I have the cheaper Toytec kit($860ish) with Light Racing UCA's and have no complaints. The OME kit is great as well. I don't think you can really go wrong with either kit.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
My name is Mudd
mcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant futuremcdowell has a brilliant future

Name: mike
mcdowell's Tacoma Gallery
Took off the 16s on mine and went 17s. Looks better in my opinion
Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I missed things but are you a prerunner or 4x4? what kinda budget? Or did I read over those two items? sorry if I missed them. However, Billies are great and I don't think I have ever heard anything bad about OME..ever everyone loves em. If you are a prerunner look into spindles. On a budget Billies or OME..Try to stay away from pro comp IMO...Just took mine off..Oh yeah I like 17's..Have to agree w/ Mr. Mcdowell
Old 04-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
fitztaco is a jewel in the roughfitztaco is a jewel in the roughfitztaco is a jewel in the rough
Hi Guys,

1. Budget is not a concern. Yep...I know I sound like a douchebag but I have been saving for a year and I have plenty to spend.
2. This is not PreRunner. You can't get that model in 4 door double cab with a 6 speed manual transmission. In terms of the off-road, mostly just going to the desert and down into Baja. Some off-camber driving so I don't want a huge lift...3 inches tops. Do I need to worry about doing a castor correction for a lift over 2 inches? Just a point of curiosity.

Cheers,
Fitz
Old 04-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
if your not the lead dog, the view never changes
k9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shedk9cop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: fabio
k9cop's Tacoma Gallery
Budget not a concern..go with king's
Did not know you could not get a dc OR with a 6 speed prerunner. You will need an alignment when you lift.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
Don't have a budget? Then get Kings.

but if not, IMO, OME is best bang for buck
Old 04-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
The Kings aren't a complete kit are they? They also look a little hardcore for me since I'm new to this. That's why I liked the Toytec ultimate package. Also, any thoughts on replacement 17 inch rims and 33's?

Cheers,
Fitz
Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
Koby is on a distinguished road

Navy: port inspection diver
Koby's Tacoma Gallery
I have a complete 2" ome setup with the 886's(HD) and would not do it again. I've had it for less than a year and the ass end is starting to settle unevenly. Driver side lower. Another guy at work has the same problem with his front end, had it replaced once under warranty, and it's starting to droop again. Looks like crap and will have to fix with spacers. I also find the ome quite clunky, especially at first. Spend more money and get a better setup. Do it right the first time! If you plan on a plate bumper/winch down the road....go 17" wheels for sure(more stable platform).
Old 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitztaco View Post
Hi All,

Sorry for the noob question...but I'm pretty new to the site and brimming with enthusiasm about modifying my Taco. Brief intro tot he truck...it is a 2011 4 door cab, 6 spd manual transmission, 4.0l V6 with the TRD off-road package.

There is a wealth of information (slightly overwhelming in fact) here on adding a lift to your Tacoma. From my perspective it seems that there are two favorites, the Old Man Emu from ARB and the ultimate suspension lift kit from Toytec. I have to admit form a vanity perspective the Toytec looks badass with the red springs. But it seems like the major benefit to the Toytec, apart from it being adjustable, is that it comes with the coil overs already assembled and it also comes with sway bar relocates and the shims for aligning the rear axle pinions which the ARB kit doesn't come with.

So my questions are:

1. What are peoples opinions on each lift kit? Which one would be better bet and why?
2. I also want to upgrade to larger wheels and tires. Should I stick with the 16 inch stock alloys I have and upgrade to 33's, or should I go to a 17 inch rim and 33's?
3. Should I be concerned about rubbing with the wheel/tire size changes. I notice that some people have added a 1/4 inch spacer when adding 33 inch tires, but I would appreciate any thoughts on the best approach. I would like to try and avoid hacking up the wheel well although I don't care about removing the mud flaps obviously.

Thanks so much!
Fitz.
This should be stickied for newbs "The proper way to ask a lift question." +1 for op for doing his research and asking specific questions.