LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Installing Icons??

Old 04-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Installing Icons??

Hey guys, I'll be switching out my Toytec's for some ext travel Icon's next weekend! What's the easiest method? Unbolt the tie rod end like Icon suggests or ubolt the UCA from the spindle like Chris 4x4 suggests? (I already know how this will end, lol)

Are any of those methods even necessary? I have some Camburg BJ UCA's already on and may be able to get them to droop enough to fit the coilover in, just not sure! Guess I could wait to see but this will be my first time doing the front install!
Old 04-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
BOOM goes the dynamite!
greenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenguy3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Ian
greenguy3's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe?
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...tructions.html
Old 04-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #3
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
That's actually a great write up but he had to remove both as he did the UCA's as well! I'm just replacing the coilovers!
Old 04-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #5

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
There's another method?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #7

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Anymore feedback?

I'm now thinking of just using the factory jack to push the uca down to get enough room for the bottom bolt! I remember seeing it done that way??
Old 04-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #8
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
silver taco's Tacoma Gallery
I actually just did this this weekend. When I installed my OME's I just needed to undo the uca, BUT with the Icons I was having trouble, so i ended up unbolting the tie rod from the lca. A couple wacks with the 3lb hammer and it pops free. To put back it helped to tap it back in from the bottom as I was tightening it. Torque to 54ftlbs.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #9
silver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I don't have a sway bar so I cant comment on that, but I would assume you should remove that as well.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
GreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
GreenTaco28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
Anymore feedback?

I'm now thinking of just using the factory jack to push the uca down to get enough room for the bottom bolt! I remember seeing it done that way??
That's what I do! Haha works for me
Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #11
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
uca from spindle has always worked for me
Old 04-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #12

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver taco View Post
I actually just did this this weekend. When I installed my OME's I just needed to undo the uca, BUT with the Icons I was having trouble, so i ended up unbolting the tie rod from the lca. A couple wacks with the 3lb hammer and it pops free. To put back it helped to tap it back in from the bottom as I was tightening it. Torque to 54ftlbs.
So to remove the tie rod end, you just remove the clip, remove the nut on the bottom and hit the end with the hammer until it pops loose? Thought I'd need the pitman puller or whatever that's called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTaco28 View Post
That's what I do! Haha works for me
You have ext travel too right? With the tie rod and spindle in the way were you able to slide it in ok? How diff was it to get the uca down far enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofords08 View Post
uca from spindle has always worked for me
Would that be same as the tie rod procedure? Remove the clip and lower nut and it comes loose?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #13
GreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud ofGreenTaco28 has much to be proud of

Name: Tyler
GreenTaco28's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

You have ext travel too right? With the tie rod and spindle in the way were you able to slide it in ok? How diff was it to get the uca down far enough?
Yes. I have a first gen so it might be a little different but with the bottle jack its really pretty easy and probably saves a lot of time. Nothing gets in the way and it just slides right in. You have to crank the bottle jack a bit but that's all.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
no the way chris4x4 said to do it is the best way i have found
Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #15

I didn't need a puller, just a hammer. It should work just removing the uca from the spindle, but for some reason it was giving me trouble. So I undid the tie rod instead of fighting it.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #17

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
LOL.....well?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 AM   #18

Don't worry about it. . The uca from the spindle should work but if you have trouble, drop the tie rod, its just one nut and 5 mins max. You will be fine. Chris' write up is also a great reference fir the torque specs.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #19
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
LOL.....well?
Either way is fine. Personally, I find it easier removing the UCA from teh spindle, then removing the sway bar. BUT, sometimes, you get a truck that doesnt like that, and you have to do it the other way.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #20

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Cool, either way seems pretty easy actually! And the sway bar has been gone for some time now!