Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

school me on axle relocation plates!

Old 04-08-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Gage has a spectacular aura aboutGage has a spectacular aura about
Gage's Tacoma Gallery
school me on axle relocation plates!

Vehicle is a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 Xtra cab

I am installing a full OME kit with Dakars and want to run 255 85R16 tires. I understand that I will need to install some axle relocation plates to better center the axle in the wheel well.

Most of the plates that I have seen will move the axle either 3/4" or 1" but I read on the expedition west site that the axle needs to move only .5" to accomadate the tires.

Here are my questions:
How are the plates installed?
Can I still use shims if needed?
Will they result in additional lift?
Does anything need to be longer? I'm thinking of brake lines, e-brake cable, drive shaft etc.?
Lastly, I may need to install the extra leaf in the dakars - will the relocation plates be impacted by that later on?

Any pics of how the plates work would be great.

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
To my understanding the Dakars and most replacement leafs actually relocate the axel for you? I could be off though! When I put my aal in I noticed my tires where rubbing towards the front when stuffed and looked into the relocation plates from All Pro. Then a member told me to check the gap of the bed/cab and sometimes the gap is off and sure enough I loosened the bed bolts and shifted the whole bed .5" forward and now clear when stuffed! (well, their centered but they only clear as much as a 33/11.5" tire with 17x9's allow)

https://www.allprooffroad.com/8489su...locationplates
Old 04-09-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Gage's Tacoma Gallery
I know that the Deaver's will center the axle but I was under the impression (for no particular reason) that the Dakar's did not.

Can someone confirm if the dakar's will center the axle in the wheelwell?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Gage's Tacoma Gallery
Does anybody know the answer here?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
stlstrs is on a distinguished road
stlstrs's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not sure if they are suppose to or not, but they didn't center the axle on my truck. I have a fair amount of rub on the front of the feder, none on the back. I have 285/75/16.