Suspension "thud"?

Old 04-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
The sky is the limit.
moparatheart is on a distinguished road
Army: Scout, 2-14 CAV
Name: Josh
moparatheart's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension "thud"?

I haven 06 Prerunner V6 Sport 2WD, and the previous owner put a 2in lift on it. I am new to Tacoma's so have some patience with my lingo . In the front on top of the shocks, there is a silver spacer, and in the rear I cannot find where the lift is. When I turn sharply or brake abruptly there is a clank, or a thud, almost like something suspension wise setting into place. I haven't the slightest clue as to what it may be.

Any ideas?
Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like bad muffler bearings to me, but without a taste test it's hard to tell.

post up a pic
Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Can you tell if it is coming from the front or the back? The rear could be axle wrap made worse by lift blocks and causing clunking as they load and unload from braking. Do you see any blocks between the axle and the leafs? If there are no blocks, the axle will be bolted directly to the bottom of the leaf springs. This would not be apparent in turns, though.

If it is in the front, could be a ton of stuff. Have you checked for worn ball joints and tie rod ends?

And post pics. Get good pic of the top plate/spacer (top of coil spring) and the spring perch (where the bottom of the coil spring sits).
Old 04-11-2012, 12:56 AM   #4
The sky is the limit.
moparatheart is on a distinguished road
Army: Scout, 2-14 CAV
Name: Josh
moparatheart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
prolly a lift block in the rear?
Thats what I was thinking, but I hear the noise from the front..

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXX View Post
sounds like bad muffler bearings to me, but without a taste test it's hard to tell.

post up a pic
I am new to Tacoma forums, but not to cars, vehicles specifically. almost funny. anyhow, i will post up a picture as soon as i get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Can you tell if it is coming from the front or the back? The rear could be axle wrap made worse by lift blocks and causing clunking as they load and unload from braking. Do you see any blocks between the axle and the leafs? If there are no blocks, the axle will be bolted directly to the bottom of the leaf springs. This would not be apparent in turns, though.

If it is in the front, could be a ton of stuff. Have you checked for worn ball joints and tie rod ends?

And post pics. Get good pic of the top plate/spacer (top of coil spring) and the spring perch (where the bottom of the coil spring sits).
i was also thinking that too.. something with the axle, or the u joint which is what kinda scares me. I would like to meet up with someone out here on Oahu who is Tacoma savy that wouldnt mind taking a look.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
The TW 1%
ForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedForeRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Coast Guard: Chief Petty Officer, ITC
Name: Drunken Sailor
ForeRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going with axle wrap. Pull the block and leaf springs and get some Dakars under there.