Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

OME 881s or Bilstein 5100s?

Old 04-13-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
cmm275 will become famous soon enough

Name: Chris
cmm275's Tacoma Gallery
OME 881s or Bilstein 5100s?

I would like to lift the front of my truck to match the rear. I have been spending every moment of my life on here for the past two weeks reading but it only makes me more indecisive... My truck is an 02 EC 4WD TRD. I don't want to spend more than 200 bucks but I don't want to go some shit spacer route. I am at two choices right now:
1. OME 881s on the stock TRD shocks
OR
2. Bilstein 5100s with the stock coils set at 1.75

I dont want to go for the the 5100 eibach setup or the nitrocharger setups as they would most likely be too much lift.(I know guys are gonna tell me to do it right the first time by doing either of these but I don't want that much lift) However, I do think that my front coils are sagging a bit so I kinda want to replace them. The front measure at around 34.5" to the fenders and the rear at around 36.5". (I have read the rake should be around 1")

What do you guys think I should do???

Front Left

Front Right

"Ride Heights"
Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #2

cmm275's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah but I don't want three inches of lift... Are you saying that neither my first or second choice are "the right way"? I shouldn't do either?
Old 04-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat- I'd like to level, and I think I'm going for Billy's. I have planned on getting the Toytec CO's to go with them too.

I didn't know you could throw billy's with stock coils and actually lift it a bit...wouldn't that ride funky

EDIT:

http://www.bilsteinus.com/fileadmin/...WebArticle.pdf

I'm a newb! This really helped me learn more...I'm not sure why I didn't look this up earlier- but stock shocks would be just fine with a level and the Bilstein 5100's.

That's probably what I'm gonna rock asap! Tax return is on it's way!!

Sorry for sucking there and being a newb! It won't ride funky! It'll be great.

I'm gonna swoop up some of those and a set of 31's, maybe 32's! as soon as possible!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't want to risk buying 5100's or OME to level the truck and don't want to buy a leveling kit in fear that the stock rear leaf (due to sagging over time) wouldn't match up so I spent the money on Sway 2.0 coilovers seen here and achieved that I wanted:

Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
Save a horse ride a Railroader
Catcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: C-17 Loadmaster 2300 hrs
Name: Bryan
Catcrazed's Tacoma Gallery
The coils and shocks are the ultimate way tho go but based on budget I'd go 5100's cause relisticaly your struts need replaced anyway it would suck to put 881's on ur stock shocks then have a seal blow out. Unless for sum reason your truck has really low mile struts on it already. Then do the coils later.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #7
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Go with the 5100s you can do the spring if necessary some other time.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #8

cmm275's Tacoma Gallery
I think I have deciding on doing the 5100s. Even with that front right coil sagging. At least it takes out whatever Tacoma lean I might have had. If I want to change the coils I can go the eibach with aal later on.
The only thing that sucks now is down south Motorsport is back ordered until July.... I don't know if I can wait that long. Anyone know where else to get them?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmm275 View Post
I think I have deciding on doing the 5100s. Even with that front right coil sagging. At least it takes out whatever Tacoma lean I might have had. If I want to change the coils I can go the eibach with aal later on.
The only thing that sucks now is down south Motorsport is back ordered until July.... I don't know if I can wait that long. Anyone know where else to get them?

I talked with Ben at Toytec, and this is what he had to say about the 5100s- they are out of stock right now on their website.

"We do not have an accurate ETA, but we are told it could be until June before we see them. We are taking orders for the back order list."
Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #10
Save a horse ride a Railroader
Catcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to beholdCatcrazed is a splendid one to behold
Air Force: C-17 Loadmaster 2300 hrs
Name: Bryan
Catcrazed's Tacoma Gallery
Wheelers offroad u could do a small spacer to take out the lean as well.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #11

cmm275's Tacoma Gallery
I have called wheelers off road, down south, and toytec. They all say they are out of stock and just waiting on the bilstein distributor. I have also looked everywhere online just using google with no luck.
I am a very impatient person so I am already considering alternatives to the 5100.
Not really sure what to do now...
Old 04-19-2012, 07:48 AM   #12
jeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeratbp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
jeratbp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I have called wheelers off road, down south, and toytec. They all say they are out of stock and just waiting on the bilstein distributor. I have also looked everywhere online just using google with no luck.
I am a very impatient person so I am already considering alternatives to the 5100.
Not really sure what to do now...
I'm in the same boat, and I will wait on the Bilsteins! everything I've read or heard suggests getting them.

DSM sells a kit of the front/backs for $299. I'm figuring I'll get the Bilsteins and set them to 2.5" plus the 1.5" AAL's from Wheelers and I should be all set.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #13

cmm275's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeratbp View Post
I'm in the same boat, and I will wait on the Bilsteins! everything I've read or heard suggests getting them.

DSM sells a kit of the front/backs for $299. I'm figuring I'll get the Bilsteins and set them to 2.5" plus the 1.5" AAL's from Wheelers and I should be all set.
Yeah that is what I will most likely end up doing if I wait on the 5100's. Maybe with eibachs on the 5100 with the zero setting though.
But right now I am also considering doing the ome 881s on some rough country shocks. (I don't have the money for the nitro chargers)
Can someone convince me to wait for the 5100s? Or should I just do the 881s?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #14
alexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud ofalexander323bc has much to be proud of
Name: Eric
alexander323bc's Tacoma Gallery
I am just going to add fuel to the fire, how many of you are running stock UCA's with billsteins and aftermarket coils?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #15
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA, SAF
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Can someone convince me to wait for the 5100s? Or should I just do the 881s?
Yes and yes. Many of us are quite happy with our 881/5100 combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander323bc View Post
I am just going to add fuel to the fire, how many of you are running stock UCA's with billsteins and aftermarket coils?
I am, and I believe several others (with similar setups) are too.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #16
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
I didn't want to risk buying 5100's or OME to level the truck and don't want to buy a leveling kit in fear that the stock rear leaf (due to sagging over time) wouldn't match up so I spent the money on Sway 2.0 coilovers seen here and achieved that I wanted:

i want to get some race runner coilovers too but im on a college budget. what amount of lift do you have them set to in the pic? if thats the highest setting, then i definitely wont buy them cause i want some major trophy truck bro lean
Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #17
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by white toy taco View Post
i want to get some race runner coilovers too but im on a college budget. what amount of lift do you have them set to in the pic? if thats the highest setting, then i definitely wont buy them cause i want some major trophy truck bro lean
The height is set to match the rear stock leafs and I can go higher if need be.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsaechao View Post
The height is set to match the rear stock leafs and I can go higher if need be.
ok cool. how are they treating you? how do they feel on/off road?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:01 PM   #19

I don't take my truck off road...on road they are great cause they aren't maxed out causing a rough ride. I have these since 07 @ 40000 miles with no rebuilt or rust.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #20
505 Member

oh i want them maily for hauling ass through the desert but glad to hear they are good on the road