Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Anybody running OME, I need some input

Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
Anybody running OME, I need some input

Hey guys, I'm looking at ordering a full OME kit and have some questions. I have an 08 access cab 4x4 and do some offroading during hunting season and haul a good bit of wood, but it is my daily driver. Do I need the extra leaf for hauling wood? How much does it affect the ride unloaded? Also, It may be a long while before it is added, but I would like to add a plate bumper and winch later. Question is, how much differance would getting the 886 make without a bumper? Would it hurt my ride appreciably?

I'm not stuck on OME, so if somebody has a complete setup to suggest for about the same price that may have better performance, let me know. I dont care about exactly how much lift I get. My springs are flat right now, so I am just trying to get my performance back to par and would like to upgrade and get some lift in the process for about the same money.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:52 PM   #3
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
D29XL Extra Leaf Set for OME Rear Leaf Springs: 58.00
Two extra leafs made specifically for the CS047 leaf spring set that raises the spring height by 15mm and increases the spring rate for increased heavy load stability. We can pre-install these in your CS047 springs, the labor charge is 30.00 for the pair- let us know if you would like us to do that.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country101 View Post
D29XL Extra Leaf Set for OME Rear Leaf Springs: 58.00
Two extra leafs made specifically for the CS047 leaf spring set that raises the spring height by 15mm and increases the spring rate for increased heavy load stability. We can pre-install these in your CS047 springs, the labor charge is 30.00 for the pair- let us know if you would like us to do that.
I would say no , unless you keep a cap on or similar weight full time .

My Dakars sagged 5/8" after a year of hauling my 200 lb cap full time , in the same time I haul heavy loads of firewood and construction material

I am going to add the d29xl leaf , but think I would have been fine if I didn't have the cap weight on all the time
Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
How well do your dakars ride loaded and unloaded?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about

Name: Eric
85yote09taco's Tacoma Gallery
I am running this setup and would suggest going with 885s. I hear the 886 coils run stiff even with weight on the front. I will know shortly as I am putting a front plate bumper on and have to get the 886s(i have 884s now)

As far as the rear I had the tsb done and an add a leaf so I am stiff in the rear but not at all horrible. I can put quite the load on the back with little if not no sagging issues, not sure if this helps
Old 04-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country101 View Post
How well do your dakars ride loaded and unloaded?
Mine are always loaded with the cap . They ride stiffer without it , they like to have a bit of weight to " engage " the pack , they will carry as much firewood as I can heap in the back and ride great that way
Old 04-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
The dakars are pretty stiff unloaded for me but not unbearable. Fully loaded with all my household crap my bed barely sagged and the ride was perfectly fine. Your choice on the extra leaf set based on how much you would be hauling.

The front springs I've heard people say the 886s are stiff even with aftermarket bumpers and winches. I went with the 885s and couldn't be happier with the ride. They aren't too much extra anyhow if and when you decided you wanted to go to 886s and you could still probably sell the 885s here used.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #9
885s it is.

Do yall know of any other good complete kits to look at?
Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about85yote09taco has a spectacular aura about

Really I think the OME setup is your best option for the money. Yes there is other routes you could go however it also comes with a price. I wheel my truck maybe once a month and this setup has impressed me time and time again. It is a very solid setup.

I'm not sure if you plan on going with bigger shoes(tires) but something you might want to consider is UCAs at that point.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #11

Go ahead and look into Icon, Fox, Total Chaos etc. etc. and what it may run you for their coilovers but it is not any better of a setup if you don't plan on using it to it's full extent.

I do know that people swear by the ride quality on these coilovers, which at some point I will end up with, but with 885s I think you will be impressed as well.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
How big a tire can I run before I need to worry about UCA's? I am running just a little bigger than stock right now so I could have a wider tire. I might bump it up some when these are wore out.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running 275/70/17 but I have LR UCA's
Old 04-17-2012, 05:07 AM   #14
ttt
Old 04-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Nirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shedNirvana is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Snipe
Name: Kris
Nirvana's Tacoma Gallery
It's more about how much lift before you need aftermarket UCAs as they help correct your alignment. Some people run stock UCAs fine up to 3" of lift so it's up to you, I just went ahead and got them to prevent any issues.

For the same price as a complete OME set up you will only get a front set of Icon, Fox, King etc. coilovers and maybe rear shocks but as was said most people love the ride of them and for the price I would hope so. The other similar set up is the ultimate lift from Toytec. With that you'll have to decide which rear springs to go with unless you just want the AAL.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Keep in mind you will need aftermarket wheels with the correct backspacing or wheel spacers for stock wheels to run anything wider than a 275