Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Stiff suspension help

Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
yamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: tyler
yamahahauler's Tacoma Gallery
Stiff suspension help

I recently bought a 97 tacoma v6 extera cab for cheap its not the best rig out there it has its flaws. It does have a 6 inch suspension lift with another 2 inches of body lift riding on 35 toyo mts. it looks like to me the shocks are all stock and they are stiff as F#@k. Can i get some recommendations on what shocks i should buy for my truck. thanks
Old 04-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
Wow. Where to start.

What kind of lift? Pics would go a long way.

Im guessing blocks. Ditch blocks.

Avoid drop bracket style lifts. Anything over three inches is going to be alot of work to be done right. Alot.

Alot.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
yamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shedyamahahauler is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I think i uploaded picture im not sure im new to posting forums i usually read them only thanks for the responces and help
i do have blocks i think and why dont go with blocks??? do they limit articulation? i have 6 lugs
Attached Thumbnails
Stiff suspension help-20120418_081215.jpg   Stiff suspension help-20120418_081223.jpg   Stiff suspension help-20120418_081234.jpg   Stiff suspension help-20120418_081244.jpg  
Old 04-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
thanks as you can see in the 2nd picture my bump stop is like 2 inches from hitting. when replacing the spacer with a coilover does that allow me to get more travel? get billstein or ome coilover?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #8
i have no idea i just bought the truck. its was a cheap truck
Old 04-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahahauler View Post
thanks as you can see in the 2nd picture my bump stop is like 2 inches from hitting. when replacing the spacer with a coilover does that allow me to get more travel? get billstein or ome coilover?
the coil is going to give you better ride plus you adjust the coil. Yea you can try Bilsteins.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Self Proclaimed first gen expert :doh:
Greensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreensystemsgo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Greensystemsgo's Tacoma Gallery
New leafs. New springs front. New shocks all around. diff drop. Wtf is on your spindles...
Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greensystemsgo View Post
Wtf is on your spindles...
That's why I'm thinking its a trailmaster. They have problems with the strut failing, and trailmaster themselves doesn't make parts for the lift anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
just question but do diff drop do anything ??
On 1st gens yes...on second gens no
Old 04-18-2012, 01:01 PM   #13
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
Is that an old trailmaster lift?
Yes
Old 04-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
Yes
Score!

OP i'd do a search for "trailmaster" and "trail master" on here and you'll find plenty of people who have had to get creative to fix issues with this lift. You'll see various solutions and aftermarket parts they have used to remedy the problems.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #16
AK SnowroxKT
SnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowroxKT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SnowroxKT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how come btw
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...05-tacoma.html

I can't really explain it so here you go.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
sees what you did there.

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
how come btw
The way the diffs are set up on the second gets, all putting the spacers in does is rotate the diff, not actually drop it. (actually it even rotates the diff oil away from the pinion bearings) You can find a lot more info in the link posted above.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #18
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Yup. Definitely an old TM lift.
The rear is riding so rough not just because of blocks, but because your spring pack is flat.

Look at this as a unique opportunity to start over with a fresh new lift.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #19
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
The way the diffs are set up on the second gets, all putting the spacers in does is rotate the diff, not actually drop it. (actually it even rotates the diff oil away from the pinion bearings) You can find a lot more info in the link posted above.
ahh ok thx man
Old 04-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #20