1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reg Cab Prerunner lift vibe

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by altitan, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Apr 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    altitan

altitan [OP] Member

Member:
    Blountsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    Ok I've searched and searched but found no conclusive answer, I have an 06 pre runner reg cab. I put a 3"/2" lift on over a month ago and ran factory tires up until about a week ago. Ok so I've always noticed a little slop in the driveline before the lift if I started off on a hill or dropped the clutch a little you would get a pop from the driveshaft, at certain speeds just letting off the gas would cause a little rumble. Post lift on factory tires the driveline shudder showed up along with a 40mph+ vibration barely noticeable but there. Then came new wheels and tires and a significantly louder roar and vibration at highway speeds, now after a little over a week the roar and vibration is seriously worse, at 70 mph the radio will barely drown out the roar. I installed 2 degree axle shims this evening which helped the takeoff shudder, but the high speed roar is he same if not worse, since I have a pre runner I can't flip the driveshaft, what else can I do I'm going to replace the ujoints tommorow, but beyond that I don't know anything else that I can do.

Kind of frustrating spending all that money just to have the truck nearly undriveable. Any input would be great.

2. Apr 18, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    lj973gm

lj973gm Sold it, dont miss it yet.

Member:
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB 4wd
    You are running mudders. They are not going to be real quiet at highway speeds.

Are the wheels and tire dynamic or static balanced.

Also what is the hub bore of the wheel and are you running a hub ring if the hub is larger than stock.

Our wheels are hub centric alot of aftermarket wheels are lug centric which adds to vibrates at highway speeds.

Just tossing in shims is not correct you need to verify your driveline angles for proper spec and shim accordingly.

3. Apr 18, 2012 at 7:56 PM
    altitan

altitan [OP] Member

Member:
    Blountsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    Nah I'm running AT's on my taco, my sig is a little confusing the mudds are on my Titan. I really don't think it's the wheels or tires, I think it's simply the added strain on the drivetrain from 18's and 325/60s... The noise and vibration are coming from the transmission side of the driveshaft, and it goes away when you let off the gas or go downhill

4. Apr 19, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    altitan

altitan [OP] Member

Member:
    Blountsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    Well for anyone experiencing the same problem, u-joints were my problem, I had one bad joint that had gone dry, the needle bearings were just a pile of dust under the cap. Put in new greasable joints and all my vibes and roar are gone, for less than twenty bucks, and about an hour in the driveway.

5. Apr 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM
    Bender581

Bender581 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AL
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2012 4X4 Tacoma
    Gobi roof rack. Icon coilovers, Icon tubular UCAs, FOX 2.0 rear shocks, Icon 3-leaf progressive AAL.
    I am glad the u-joint took care of the problem. How many miles were on the truck?

6. Apr 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM
    altitan

altitan [OP] Member

Member:
    Blountsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner SR5
    Thanks bout 90k

Products Discussed in

To Top