1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

lifting blistein

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by stratton, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Jul 19, 2007 at 6:00 AM
    stratton

stratton [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    someone on here said that you can raise the blistein shocks that come with trd offroad. I cant seem to find the thread now. is that true? I would like to get a inch or two more out of my tacoma. It sits kind of low for me. I have a lifetime warranty on my tacoma so I really do not want to void anything including cv joints, if i put a after market lift in. I looked at the shocks, i can not tell what model they are other then coil over blistein shocks. they are yellow if that helps. haha

2. Jul 19, 2007 at 8:55 AM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    You can't lift with the shocks that came from the factory. Only shocks that can lift the front are Bilstein 5100 shocks.... and those are aftermarket ones. Or you can get replacement coilover shocks like Sway-A-Way, Camburg, Kings or Donahoes. Those coilovers will cost between $700-$1100 and can get you 1-3" of lift up front.

3. Jul 19, 2007 at 1:24 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    If you have a 2nd gen taco you can lift up to 3" without replacing the stock shocks. There is a law against dealers voiding warranties because of aftermarket parts. Visit the Toytec lift kit site and go to the FAQ section, look for the questions regarding your truck, it may help a lot with questions you have.

4. Jul 19, 2007 at 3:45 PM
    stratton

Member:
    is it possible to have a lift and then if something goes wrong with a cv joint or other related problem lower the truck to the standard height. I am affraid that the dealer will try and make it seem like it was the lift that caused the problem. I mean its their word against mine right?

5. Jul 19, 2007 at 3:49 PM
    SLOTaco

SLOTaco Ultimate Member

Member:
    Central Coast, California
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    '06 TRD Sport 4x4 AC, K&N drop in air filter, Magnaflow cat back, Bilstein 5100's with Toytec adjustable front coil over 3" lift, rear TSB, AllPro UCA's.
    It is their word against yours. However, legally the burden is on them to prove your aftermarket part caused the problem before they can void the warranty. Putting a lift on your truck CAN cause more stress on the front cv joints though. So that might be a sticky situation if you where to get in it. There are front differential drop kits that reduce cv wear but not to stock levels. Sounds like you must weigh the cost of new front axles in a few years v.s. how much you want a lift. And yes, you can take the lift out and return it to stock, at least with most of the lift kits I have looked at.

6. Jul 19, 2007 at 4:00 PM
    stratton

Member:
    thanks slotaco. well i doubt i can put a lift in right away. Not good timing to be spending extra money when the wife and I are expecting our first baby soon. thats the reason i had to get the double cab. my other taco is just a two seater. i figure that in a year i can start to add some extras to the truck.

7. Jul 20, 2007 at 8:09 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Thats what i'm trying to figure out right now. I really want to get a lift but i dont know how much it's gonna affect my truck. I really dont feel like having to fix a bunch of stuff on the front suspension every few years

Products Discussed in

To Top