Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

3" lift kit help?

Old 12-20-2008, 11:20 AM   #1
RDAY is on a distinguished road
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
3" lift kit help?

I def want a lift kit but the more I read the more im confused s people say don't get a spacer or block lift right? I think I want a toytech so what lift do I get what parts do I need can someone send me a link cause all I see are block kits?

Thanks Guys
Old 12-20-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAY View Post
I def want a lift kit but the more I read the more im confused s people say don't get a spacer or block lift right? I think I want a toytech so what lift do I get what parts do I need can someone send me a link cause all I see are block kits?

Thanks Guys
http://toyteclifts.com/index.php?opt...d=64&Itemid=53
Here you go man, and I would go with a coil lift with the rear AAL. Either a light or medium coil. Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #3
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
yea thanks whats the diff between the light and medium?
Old 12-20-2008, 12:14 PM   #4
Rock Solid Toy
SilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverSeven is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jordon
SilverSeven's Tacoma Gallery
get the camburg kit, its like 2500 for everything, deavers, COs, UCAs every thing
Old 12-20-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
ETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedETaco23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Evan
ETaco23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yea thanks whats the diff between the light and medium?
The mediums are for double cab trucks or trucks with extra weight in the front such as heavier bumper or winch. And Everyone here does reccomend, for a 3" lift that you do a front diff. drop if 4x4 and also get new UCA's such as TC's (totao chaos)UCA's. The Camburg kit option is good, if your whilling to pay that much.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
so if i have an access cab should I go with light or medium? and whats a front diff drop?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so if i have an access cab should I go with light or medium? and whats a front diff drop?
Access cabs can use the 884 coils. The diff drop is really just a couple of 1" spacers that drop the front arms of the front differential down an inch, decreasing the angle of your CV joints.

What's your budget? Why are you lifting - looks, off road performance? This will make a difference in choosing an appropriate lift...
Old 12-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
looks i will be doing very little if any off roading
Old 12-20-2008, 03:25 PM   #9
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

How much are you looking to spend? As others have said, I would stay away from spacer lifts. The front coils and rear AAL is a good lift. However, to get a better ride, you'll need to replace the front shocks at the same time you replace the coil. And to correct alignment issues, you'll need to replace your upper control arms too.

So, just depends on how much you're willing to invest.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #11
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
longhorn how do u like the BFG M/T 285/75/16 KM2s. r they good in the snow they look sick. Also if u could go back and change anything on building ur lift would u? How much do u have invested in just all the parts for the lift?
Thanks
Old 12-21-2008, 02:23 PM   #12

Quote:
longhorn how do u like the BFG M/T 285/75/16 KM2s. r they good in the snow they look sick. Also if u could go back and change anything on building ur lift would u? How much do u have invested in just all the parts for the lift?
Thanks
I love the tires! They are quieter than my KMs in college, but still whine "just enough"... So far, they have worked just fine in the snow. Went and played in a parking lot last night - I slid around when I wanted to, but didn't when I didn't. Even crawled over a snow drift. Got high centered and 2WD wouldn't get me out, but 4wd did. So, apparently they have no problem gripping the snow...

So far, I don't think I would change anything about the lift (keep in mind, I still haven't lifted the rear). The only thing that I would consider changing would be aftermarket rims instead of stock rims and spacers - but that's just a consideration. I like still having the stock rims.

On the lift components, if I had it to do over, I would just buy the coilover complete from ToyTec. I bought all the parts separate (identical parts) thinking I was going to save a ton of money - that wasn't the case. I came out just a bit over the complete coilover price...

Here's my post on how much the lift cost:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...tml#post230005

All in all, I'm happy with it all!
Old 12-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #13
RDAY's Tacoma Gallery
what exactly do the ucas do why do they need to be replaced?

if I have the offroad package does that make any diff or should I still replace the shocks?

what r shock extenders needed for?
Old 12-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #14

Quote:
what exactly do the ucas do why do they need to be replaced?

if I have the offroad package does that make any diff or should I still replace the shocks?

what r shock extenders needed for?
The UCAs will give you enough caster to correct the alignment from the 3" lift. The stock UCAs just won't adjust far enough. You can get them close, just not right.

Depending on what lift you get, you CAN use your stock shocks, it's just recommended that you replace them to improve your ride.

The 5100s I have for the rear work for 0-2" of lift. I bought a 2" AAL for the rear, but I have the rear TSB springs and that gave me almost an inch of lift. So, I bought them just in case I needed them. I'd rather have them when I'm putting on the shocks and not need them than not have them and I do...

I haven't put the AAL in because I'm afraid it's gonna raise the rear higher than I want, but I'm gonna try it anyway. I can always take it out...