1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What do you recommend for this application?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Manitouman88, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM
    Manitouman88

Manitouman88 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Goshen, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5
    What's up guys,
    I've got a 2012 DC 4x4 I absolutely love. I've owned the truck for about 3 months now and am getting the itch to do a little customization. I'd like to be able to run 265/75/16 tires with something with a decent AT tire and wheel package. This truck is my daily driver and I commute about 30 minutes to work everyday. On the weekends I like to head north and fish/hunt/hike whatever. Being a newbie to suspension mods and toyota's, I don't really now where to start. Like I said offroading will be on the weekend on mostly dirt/fire roads. Money wise, I'm not strapped and would rather spend the money up front and do it right. I like the ideas of coilovers but again don't really know what to look for or if that's really what I need. Im fairly mechanically inclined but I just don't have the space to do a mod like this in my driveway, so it would most likely be done by my dealer, as well as the fact this truck is basically brand new. I've been doing a fair amount of searching, but its sort of hard to get opinions for my specific uses. What have other guys done with similar needs/etc. any advice would be great. Thanks!

Shane

2. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:51 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    You can run 265/75/16 on stock suspension

3. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:54 PM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    For what your describing coilovers would be overkill and a waste of money, i would get some 5100's set them at 1.75 and you will set perfectly level. You will clear your tires your talking about running with zero problems.

And with a few hand tools you could DIY in your driveway :)

4. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:56 PM
    Manitouman88

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Goshen, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5
    Yeah, I've heard that, but I'd like to really improve on/offroad suspension handling and ride quality. I'm not really trying to just get a lift kit to stuff bigger rubber, I'd like to upgraded the suspension as a whole. That's just the size I'd most likely be running.

Thanks BulletToothTony. 5100's front and rear? Would I need anything else, diff drop etc? How about disassembling the shock/spring assembly?

5. Apr 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:
    5100's at all 4 corners and the ride will be great, you can set the 5100's at 0, .85, 1.75, and 2.75

6. Apr 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM
    Dirty G

Dirty G Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    DC TRD Off Road
    TOYTEC coils, Rear TSB
    I had the same issue. Ended up getting Eibach coils from Toytec and rear TSB. It leveled my truck and the ride is great. Pretty sure you can use the OME 884 to do the same thing up front to level after a TSB. If not get the 5100s and set to .85.

Your truck can already handle 265/75s.

7. Apr 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:
    Yes front and rear,Diff drop not needed on 2nd gens and for the assembly i would take it to a shop that has a spring compressor have them assemble the coil and then install everything yourself.

8. Apr 22, 2012 at 4:20 PM
    Manitouman88

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Goshen, NH
    Vehicle:
    2012 sr5
    Great! Thanks for the advice, I'll probably go with the bilsteins and will post pics when I'm done. Ive got a couple of different suggestions on what to set the shocks at? ride height/ride comfort taken into consideration? the only problem with me doing the install myself is I dont have a backup vehicle to take the shocks and coils in to get assembled. Anyone had a dealer do it for them? price? Thanks again for the help!

-Shane

9. Apr 22, 2012 at 4:27 PM
    BulletToothTony

Member:
    First Name:
    Dealers will rape you for everything they do, you got a buddy that can take you and bring you back?

Products Discussed in

To Top