Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

What do you recommend for this application?

Old 04-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
Manitouman88 has a spectacular aura aboutManitouman88 has a spectacular aura about

Name: Shane
Manitouman88's Tacoma Gallery
What do you recommend for this application?

What's up guys,
I've got a 2012 DC 4x4 I absolutely love. I've owned the truck for about 3 months now and am getting the itch to do a little customization. I'd like to be able to run 265/75/16 tires with something with a decent AT tire and wheel package. This truck is my daily driver and I commute about 30 minutes to work everyday. On the weekends I like to head north and fish/hunt/hike whatever. Being a newbie to suspension mods and toyota's, I don't really now where to start. Like I said offroading will be on the weekend on mostly dirt/fire roads. Money wise, I'm not strapped and would rather spend the money up front and do it right. I like the ideas of coilovers but again don't really know what to look for or if that's really what I need. Im fairly mechanically inclined but I just don't have the space to do a mod like this in my driveway, so it would most likely be done by my dealer, as well as the fact this truck is basically brand new. I've been doing a fair amount of searching, but its sort of hard to get opinions for my specific uses. What have other guys done with similar needs/etc. any advice would be great. Thanks!

Shane
Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
You can run 265/75/16 on stock suspension
Old 04-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
For what your describing coilovers would be overkill and a waste of money, i would get some 5100's set them at 1.75 and you will set perfectly level. You will clear your tires your talking about running with zero problems.

And with a few hand tools you could DIY in your driveway
Old 04-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Manitouman88 has a spectacular aura aboutManitouman88 has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I've heard that, but I'd like to really improve on/offroad suspension handling and ride quality. I'm not really trying to just get a lift kit to stuff bigger rubber, I'd like to upgraded the suspension as a whole. That's just the size I'd most likely be running.

Thanks BulletToothTony. 5100's front and rear? Would I need anything else, diff drop etc? How about disassembling the shock/spring assembly?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

5100's at all 4 corners and the ride will be great, you can set the 5100's at 0, .85, 1.75, and 2.75
Old 04-21-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Dirty G is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Steve
Dirty G's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same issue. Ended up getting Eibach coils from Toytec and rear TSB. It leveled my truck and the ride is great. Pretty sure you can use the OME 884 to do the same thing up front to level after a TSB. If not get the 5100s and set to .85.

Your truck can already handle 265/75s.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manitouman88 View Post

Thanks BulletToothTony. 5100's front and rear? Would I need anything else, diff drop etc? How about disassembling the shock/spring assembly?
Yes front and rear,Diff drop not needed on 2nd gens and for the assembly i would take it to a shop that has a spring compressor have them assemble the coil and then install everything yourself.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #8

Great! Thanks for the advice, I'll probably go with the bilsteins and will post pics when I'm done. Ive got a couple of different suggestions on what to set the shocks at? ride height/ride comfort taken into consideration? the only problem with me doing the install myself is I dont have a backup vehicle to take the shocks and coils in to get assembled. Anyone had a dealer do it for them? price? Thanks again for the help!

-Shane
Old 04-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #9

Dealers will rape you for everything they do, you got a buddy that can take you and bring you back?