Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Bilstein 5100 on 1st gen TRD questions, yes I searched first :)

Old 12-21-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
notslow is on a distinguished road
notslow's Tacoma Gallery
Question Bilstein 5100 on 1st gen TRD questions, yes I searched first :)

Hi guys,
I've been reading threads all day about the 5100s and it seems most people are happy with them. Most of the info I found was from 2nd gen guys. So I had a few specific questions.

I want to basically go level or 1" higher so my 265/75/16 nittos don't rub (they do now a bit). Will the .85 setting be enough to do this? If I go to the next setting higher on the 5100s will I need UCAs? I may be confused about the UCAs, some of what I read suggested that they are needed to keep the alignment correct. Is this the case?

I don't really want to go through all of that and don't want to raise the truck much. I just want to clear my tires and maybe a hair more height.

Thanks in advance

Will
Old 12-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
Wish i was wheelin
TengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTengoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TengoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Will,

Nice to see another desert rat, I grew up in Palm Desert.

There are so many ways of lifting your truck. Setting the 5100 adj's up one will do the trick. You wont have to replace the UCA's that is only necessary if you lift your truck around 3" or more.

There are a lot of options... You know you could get new coils. Old man emu 880s produce an inch of lift. I ordered some 881's which gives 2" and OME shocks from wheelers offroad. Can't wait for them to come in.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
notslow's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, I checked out wheelers, they have some cool stuff.
From what I've gathered, the Bilsteins seem to be the most practical for me. They are close to the same money as new coils, but should provide a better ride than stock and if I do decide I want to go another inch taller i can go to the second setting and get 1" blocks for the rear.
I'll never want to go taller than that since this is my daily driver and I want to keep the fuel mileage good.
Besides, I already have a Tahoe 4x4 with 7" of lift for offroading and breaking every other month. It was the rear end this month.
This is considered normal for the gov lock diff, or gov bomb as most chevy guys call it. Man I'm glad I got a Toyota
Old 12-22-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Will...................i have the bilstein 5100's on my 04 trd double cab. love the ride man...great shock. unlike the 5100's for the 2nd gen tacomas............the ones for the 5100's-first gen taco's only have 3 settings. the mid setting will probably give you all you need, then get an alignment to be on the safe side. the best place to get the 5100's that i have found is thru downsouthmotorsports on ebay............and i do believe they are a member/vendor here at tw now.

Will
Old 12-22-2008, 04:36 PM   #5
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by notslow View Post
Thanks for the info, I checked out wheelers, they have some cool stuff.
From what I've gathered, the Bilsteins seem to be the most practical for me. They are close to the same money as new coils, but should provide a better ride than stock and if I do decide I want to go another inch taller i can go to the second setting and get 1" blocks for the rear.
I'll never want to go taller than that since this is my daily driver and I want to keep the fuel mileage good.
Besides, I already have a Tahoe 4x4 with 7" of lift for offroading and breaking every other month. It was the rear end this month.
This is considered normal for the gov lock diff, or gov bomb as most chevy guys call it. Man I'm glad I got a Toyota
wow - that's fairly mangled... if you wheeled your tacoma then you wouldn't have to fix your Chevy...
Old 12-22-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
notslow's Tacoma Gallery
Hey another Will, I was reading one of your posts about the bilsteins. You have yours all the way up, right? Will the middle setting give me about 1.5 lift?

If I quit wheelin my Chevy, who would fund GM, the federal government?
Old 12-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hey another Will, I was reading one of your posts about the bilsteins. You have yours all the way up, right? Will the middle setting give me about 1.5 lift?

If I quit wheelin my Chevy, who would fund GM, the federal government?
actually...........i have mine on the bottom setting since im running ome 881 coils, but the mid setting should put you around 1.5 or so....i think it'll be fine.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My gawd, What the hell were you doing when that happened?
I've never seen anything like that ever!!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #9
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Wow not even a Dodge blows up that bad!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #10
notslow's Tacoma Gallery
That's what happens when you beat on a week little 10 bolt with 4.10s spinning 35" tires on a 6000lb. SUV. This rear end was supposed to go in cars Guess GM thinks everyone in a Tahoe is hauling kids to soccer.

Back to the Tacoma, I've only had it a few weeks (replaced a Ranger) and I love it already. The Ranger was super reliable (had the Mazda 4 cylinder engine), but the ride was terrible and it was the most gutless think I ever drove.
The Tacoma rides awesome, pulls hard, very comfortable. Can't wait to order my 5100s and get the stereo in