Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Truck Shaking on highway

Old 04-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
chaos316 is on a distinguished road
Name: JJ
chaos316's Tacoma Gallery
Truck Shaking on highway

I have a DCLB sport 4x4 with a spacer lift, it shakes a lot! sometimes around 40mph, and a ton around 75 mph. Can anyone point me in the right direction? the only time i take my truck off road is when I go fishing, about once a twice a week, and its only about 20 mins total off road.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:47 AM   #2
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos316 View Post
I have a DCLB sport 4x4 with a spacer lift, it shakes a lot! sometimes around 40mph, and a ton around 75 mph. Can anyone point me in the right direction? the only time i take my truck off road is when I go fishing, about once a twice a week, and its only about 20 mins total off road.
How much lift is the spacer lift? I'm assuming you'll need after market UCAs either that or an alignment(if you recently installed the lift). When I bought my truck used it had spacers up front and I had the same problem. It wasn't the truck shaking but more of the steering wheel.

EDIT Just saw your profile description..3" spacer lift. Still saying you need after market UCAs.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Most likely shaking comes from unbalanced tires....that was my case anyways! I'd make sure everything was torqued to spec, tires balanced/rotated and alignment......in that order. I had a spacer lift and alignment was good with stock uca's! The spacer was just stiff and shook the truck evertime it went over uneven road surface?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
I bought my truck used with everything on it already a few months ago. Mines kind of a mixture of both, the steering wheel shakes sometimes, and sometimes on the highway, the entire truck shakes. Its almost to the point where its scary to drive it
Old 04-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
You might want to have a mechanic look at it......where did you buy from? There could be something else going on that needs major attention!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
You might want to have a mechanic look at it......where did you buy from? There could be something else going on that needs major attention!
x2. If a simple alignment and/or rebalancing of the tires didn't do the trick, you should have a professional take a look.

Did it shake when you bought it? Assuming you did a test drive correct? If you didn't get it up to those speeds at the test drive, it's anyone's guess what's causing the shake. If you put the spacer lift on yourself and then it started, it'd at least narrow your search.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Once i bought it, it drove fine. But i decided to go mudding a few times and slammed on the brakes because we were about to slide into a massive ditch. if i bought ucas, would i have to buy coil overs as well?
Old 04-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #8

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I'd get everything looked over first. Usually uca are needed when you lift in the 3"+ and can't get alignment where you want it! Something could be loose or bent from that situation?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
So take it to the toyota dealership? or go to an off road suspension place?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
and i noticed whenever i brake hard enough, theres a squeak/ grind type noise
Old 05-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #11
Old 05-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #12
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos316 View Post
and i noticed whenever i brake hard enough, theres a squeak/ grind type noise
If you are with warranty take it to Toyota but if not I would suggest going to someone you know who does good quality work. The toyota dealer that I took my truck to had my truck rear ended lucky they fixed it no questions asked.

But you need to get your breaks looked at if they grind.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Get your tires balanced. If your front tires are off, they'll shack the steering wheel. Get your front end checked out. An alignment shop, if they're worth a damn, will check over everything before they align it. Loose TREs, BJs, etc...

Wash your truck, if you got shit packed in the wheels it will throw off the balance, especially a lot of mud.

BJs, wheel bearings, and TREs are easy to check if you know how but theres youtube tutorials for that.

Yes, check the pads for wear on your brakes, the shoes, drums, and rotors as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
Get your tires balanced. If your front tires are off, they'll shack the steering wheel. Get your front end checked out. An alignment shop, if they're worth a damn, will check over everything before they align it. Loose TREs, BJs, etc...

Wash your truck, if you got shit packed in the wheels it will throw off the balance, especially a lot of mud.

BJs, wheel bearings, and TREs are easy to check if you know how but theres youtube tutorials for that.

Yes, check the pads for wear on your brakes, the shoes, drums, and rotors as well.
Yeah, what he said...