Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

Installed rear extended travel 5100's(F4-BE5-B110-T5)

Old 04-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Installed rear extended travel 5100's(F4-BE5-B110-T5)

I was down in San Diego Wednesday and figure I would pay a visit to Downsouth Motorsports. Got around to talking with Marco about my rear suspension feeling like $hit. I was running TSB w/ Wheelers 1.5" AAL and stock TRD shocks. He recommended the extended travel 5100's because most likely my shock was topping out here and there.

Got around to installing it today and damn these things are long. The line on the OEM shocks are where the dust boot was sitting when installed on the truck. So I had about 2" of down travel.

In the pic below you can see where each shock tube actually ends and the the difference between them.

Actual installation wasn't to bad. I ended up using the OEM jack out of my Matrix to help get the shock into place. I didn't have enough to muscle it up.

Once installed I took some measurements to see how much up travel I will have and if I will need to extend my bump stops. Looks like I have 4.5" of up travel. And my bumpstop are 4.75" away from the frame. I will most likely end up welding a .5" plate to the frame to keep the shock from bottoming out.

Next is to figure out what kind of modifications need to be made for the down travel. Some folks say that the brake line brackets need to be bent. What about the differential electrical wires? Are they long enough.

Is it better to have more down travel vs. up travel?

Thanks again to Marco at DSM for showing me the differences in the two 5100's.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #2
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
if you wheel what you really want is more bump than droop...well at least for higher speed wheeling.

also... this is bad advice BUT Bilstein does have a "lifetime" warranty so...i wouldnt worry about setting up the bumps, just use the shock and if something goes out warranty it

^this is bad advise lol, dont listen to him
Old 04-26-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post

also... this is bad advice BUT Bilstein does have a "lifetime" warranty so...i wouldnt worry about setting up the bumps, just use the shock and if something goes out warranty it

Old 04-26-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Almost there
08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed08pretaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oliver
08pretaco's Tacoma Gallery
lol
Old 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Largest Member.....huhuh
rmarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant futurermarqu2 has a brilliant future

EMS: Emergency room RN
Name: Roger
rmarqu2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pretaco View Post

^this is bad advise lol, dont listen to him
Did that....tried that.... Doesn't work!!! They don't cover a snapped shaft!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Your leafs wont have enough droop to use the entire down stroke of the shock but that's ok. I'd un-bolt the bottom of the shocks again and let the leafs flex to full droop and double check the break lines. The shocks will then be sitting next to the bottom mounts and both will be at full droop, you'll see what I mean......when I had those leafs they drooped to 25" and that shock goes to 27" and change.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
The Anti-Bling
TheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheosTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Theo
TheosTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Is this the shock that is recommended to use with the Dakar leaf pack on 2nd Gens?