Rear Suspension Options with poll

View Poll Results: Rear Suspension Options
Defined Engineering Stage 1 Kit 25 34.25%
AllPro Offroad Complete rear suspension 21 28.77%
Keep it Stock the TSB and bro look is in 9 12.33%
Another option not on your list 18 24.66%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #21
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Hit up the guys in the LT thread, I'm sure some of them do slower stuff at times and may have some feedback?? I know your flex would be crazy.....I'm in the same situation as you man!
Old 04-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #22
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
aight OP, ive got the AP standard springs with u bolt flip kit and 2.5 king rr shocks. The best thing about this setup is the clearance! It is the most clearance out of a leaf pack setup u will get

along with great clearance they give a very smooth ride on and off road. When i first got the springs they were a little stiff but have since then become very smooth riding. They are not soft at all and i have never bottomed them out except for at full flex on a trail. They also seem to ride better with 150-200 pounds in the bed (i have a tool box with a lot of tools in it and also am about to install a steel rear bumper)

i dont do any desert running but i can go over a speed bump at 60 and barely feel it. The only thing that you lose with these is up travel vs. the sua springs. You say there is no room for improvement but u are limited by the shock travel more then the spring travel.

Building a shock hoop inside the fender well and running 10" shocks is an improvement and will provide additional uptravel. Building a bed cage and running 12"s or 14"s is a greater improvement and will provide a lot of uptravel, all while maintaining your ground clearance
That'd be great but OP is looking for Spring under axle kit...
Old 04-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #23
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
Or a good spring over if the feedback on AP is good?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #24
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
the defined kit will be your best bet in terms of over all performance. a SOA leaf set up just can't hang with a performance front end in the high speed stuff, even a mid travel front end, the rear will buck.

i'd def go with the defined kit, and use an OE replacement shock (look into the new Icon 2.5 remote resi shocks). the performance over stock and over SOA will blow your mind with the defined kit and OE replacement shock.

you can still crawl the rocks and do some technical stuff with a SUA set up, just requires some more skill on the drivers parts. in reality, a SUA set up does not hang all that much lower and the stock lower shock mounts on the axle

Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #25
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
the defined kit will be your best bet in terms of over all performance. a SOA leaf set up just can't hang with a performance front end in the high speed stuff, even a mid travel front end, the rear will buck.

i'd def go with the defined kit, and use an OE replacement shock (look into the new Icon 2.5 remote resi shocks). the performance over stock and over SOA will blow your mind with the defined kit and OE replacement shock.

you can still crawl the rocks and do some technical stuff with a SUA set up, just requires some more skill on the drivers parts. in reality, a SUA set up does not hang all that much lower and the stock lower shock mounts on the axle

yep, thats what I pointed out to a couple local guys...
Old 04-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #26
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
yep, thats what I pointed out to a couple local guys...
so if we're both thinking the same thing... and you're old man doug... then i must be wise beyond my years haha
Old 04-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #27
cRaZy oLdmAn

4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
so if we're both thinking the same thing... and you're old man doug... then i must be wise beyond my years haha

absolutely Matt....
Old 04-28-2012, 08:36 PM   #28
GROVE ST. MOTORSPORTS
allmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shedallmotorrex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gideon
allmotorrex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
allmotorrex - what are the lengths of those rear kings?.....just curious!
about 9", a little longer then stock but not quite 10"

and i agree with yall Matt and Doug about them not hanging "that" much lower but i have seen in person numerous times of people with sua setups getting hung up on something because of the extra 4" the springs hang down. And i have never seen someone get hung up because of the stock shock mounting location. The toyota shock mounting spots, compared to say a chevy, are tucked very close to the wheel and out of the way pretty good.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #29

Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I love that pic from AP! If the icon 2.5's are anything like their front coilovers, they will be soooo bad ass back there!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #30
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Rob
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Decisions decisions, Its like everything though, at a certain point something is a trade-off for something else. Its just a matter of trying to find a solution that is most best for you.

My problem is that I will research something to death and never make a decision. The feedback definitely helps overall though.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
about 9", a little longer then stock but not quite 10"

and i agree with yall Matt and Doug about them not hanging "that" much lower but i have seen in person numerous times of people with sua setups getting hung up on something because of the extra 4" the springs hang down. And i have never seen someone get hung up because of the stock shock mounting location. The toyota shock mounting spots, compared to say a chevy, are tucked very close to the wheel and out of the way pretty good.
true, but with some u-bolt plates similar to what Giant MS offers, the ubolts and nuts can be recessed and protected from damage and the ubolt plate itself can act as a skid and help prevent getting the leafs hung up on a rock.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #33
rsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shedrsbmg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
From what I have read, the spring over in addition to offering increased ground clearance also affords better articulation vs the SUA. I guess we all know the SUA is THE set-up for high speed. Conversely most feel SOA is THE set-up for rock crawling. However there are SOME instances where folks have stated they believe the SUA to be just as good if not better for rock crawling. The arguments I have seen generally support SOA for rock crawling though because of better articulation in addition to ground clearance.

Maybe a separate thread is in order for the discussion of SUA vs SOA in rock crawling and at high speeds?
Old 04-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #34

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqoma View Post
rcfreak201 has the defined SUA kit, have u seen his build page?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post4817385

maybe he can help ya with any questions
Cool, thanks I will hit him up.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #35

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
This would be my main concern with SUA. Rear Leafs digging in to the sand (or other obstacle)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVzDSNYA2xk
Old 04-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #36
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
I've talked to both krish and OP recently about the clearance delema with the defined sua kit speciffically. as matt stated, the slearance directly under the axle really isn't much if any worse than the stock shock hangers. we are more concerned with the clearance of the leaf pack's leading edge (like in the above video. here is a picture i sent krish in refference to the issue. disregard the orange box and myself in the wheel well. the red line indicates the stock soa setup, while the green represents the sua setup. you can see the reason for concern while on the rocks.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #37

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly. I think the comparison to the lower shock mount is not exactly accurate especially in certain types of terrain. The shock mount is merely a small protrusion sticking down which can easily strike something and be deflected, or if soft sand, dig in and just ride it out with no adverse affects.

I'm looking at the SUA as a much larger obstacle to overcome and instead of being deflected around a rock will either cause forward momentum to cease. or ride up causing the tire to lose contact with the ground.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #38
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
I agree. pure surface area of the springs vs shock mount change the dynamics of hitting an obstacle with one of those components. granted, if you were to hit a rock with the under-axle portion of the springs, you've most likely just missed your line and should back up and retry. however, sometimes you just cant avoid it.....and so continues our debate of the lesser of two evils.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:02 PM   #39

Army:
rsbmg's Tacoma Gallery
As I work through this more and more I think the SOA is probably going to offer the most advantages with the least amount of disadvantages for mixed offroading.

You can still set it up to offer great performance in higher speed situations it just wont be "as good" as SUA but in reality it will probably be more than capable of outperforming the rest of the truck provided your just mid travel or less.

Then in the technical stuff it will be better than SUA. Plus its cheaper overall.

So as with everything it comes down to identifying your primary use for the vehicle or what kind of driving you will be doing the most.

This thread has definitely helped me examine the whole "problem" and lead me towards other articles and sites with similar discussions. I'm not 100% yet but I'm about 70/30 leaning towards SOA.

KING of The Hammers is an excellent way to think of this problem and I think we know what the predominate set up is for them. So thats it I'm going coils all the way around! haha
Old 04-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #40
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
Those giant ubolt plates are tits! And the defined kit really doesn't hang low, like i mentioned in the PM to you, it doesn't require you to weld anything besides the spring perches(a plus if you ever try to sell)
Also the defined kit doesn't require new front hangers. Giant, Engage, and DMZ all require cutting them and welding the new ones farther up where the frame actually dips down, so those sit lower.
The poly bumps in the stage 1 kit are great but they look like they use up alot of uptravel, i would go with a hydro bump or the light racing jouncestops down the road, like you said its great because you can build it in stages.
With whatever setup you get i would pick up the shackle crossmember, the hangers are pretty weak, mine are getting pretty bent up(granted i also cut out the crossmember) but its still an affordable precaution.
http://www.definedengineering.com/products.html