1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lift question

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by TommyTaco, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Jul 20, 2007 at 6:41 AM
    TommyTaco

TommyTaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I am interested in a 3 inch lift. What should I expect to pay? Thanks guys.

2. Jul 20, 2007 at 10:32 AM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Magna Flow stainless cat-back, 3" Toytec Lift, 32" Mickey Thompsons
    I just ordered a 3" front spacer lift and a 2" rear add-a-leaf lift from ToyTec. The kit cost 210.00 plus 20.00 for shipping.

3. Jul 20, 2007 at 10:42 AM
    TommyTaco

TommyTaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Thanks Reid. That is not a bad deal. Pardon my lack of knowlege when it comes to lifting a truck. Is Toytec only for Toyotas? Also, if you lift the front 3 inches, how come you dont lift the rear by the same?

4. Jul 20, 2007 at 12:16 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    On Tacos, the rear is usually higher than the front of the truck because of the expected load in the back... higher usually by 1"-1.5".

5. Jul 20, 2007 at 12:21 PM
    rick

rick `

Member:
    most vehicles don't sit level from the factory. front is normally 1 - 2" lower. take a look at a nissan titan going down the road. it looks like they are doing a nose dive. lol

6. Jul 22, 2007 at 5:33 PM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Toytech is for Toyotas. Like the others said, the front is about 2" lower from the factory. Really, if I wanted the truck level, I would only have to raise the front 3" and raise the back 1". But I can use the extra lift in the rear so 2" it is. This is pretty much the cheapest lift I have found, and the best quality. I have seen more expensive spacer lifts, and the spacers were made of plastic. The Toytech lift I ordered comes with aluminum spacers.

7. Jul 22, 2007 at 5:44 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    if you wanted to level the truck out and get the 3" all the way around of lift, could u get the 2.5" spacers in the front and then buy the 3" kit w/ the springs in the front and the 2" AAL in the back?

8. Jul 22, 2007 at 10:33 PM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    On the Toytec site under the FAQ it says you cannot use the 3" spacer lift with the coil lift on the front. If you use the 3"spacer lift and AAL on the back you will get 3" on the front and 2" on the back. This is the max without starting to replace frame members. If you want to replace frame members you would be going with a 6" procomp lift = $$$$.

9. Jul 23, 2007 at 8:25 AM
    doublea

doublea Active Member

Member:
    Reid, I have looked at every 3" lift that I can find on the web and from all the people, forums and feedback I've heard the 2 that everyone agrees on is either toytech and or tuff country? With your lift did you need to have a garage compress the front springs? Other than that, all the stuff I've read seems to be cut and dry and does not look to bad to do yourself. With that lift ( 3" ) 32" + 10.5" is the biggest tire size you can go without interference correct??

Double A

10. Jul 23, 2007 at 12:48 PM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    I wont receive my lift kit until tomorrow. So I have not installed it yet. I am going to do it myself. I have looked at the instructions, and it looks very simple. I suppose you could take off the coil overs and then get a garage take the springs off and put the new ones on. I am going to buy a spring compressor. I have found one here in BC for 150.00CAD at an auto store. I figure I work on motorcycles and cars enough to get my money out of my tools, I will probably end up doing at least a couple more lifts, and the tool will pay for itself. I am going to Toronto for WakeFest this weekend so I wont get a chance to install it untill next week. But if you want to wait before ordering, I plan on writing up my experience with the kit.
    As for the tires size. I was hoping to get a 32" or equivilant under my truck. I have heard prople on this site talk about putting everything from 275's to 33"s on with a 3"lift. If you check the Toytec site they only recommend 265/75/16 tires on stock rims with that lift. They say 285/75/16 on aftermarket 16x8 rims with 4" or 4.5" backspacing will fit. But I still dont understand the backspacing thing.
    I was hoping to get 32"tires on mine, but they only make 32"tires for 15"rims and 15"rims dont fit on 07 tacomas. So I will probably try for a metric equivilant tire. The key seems to be the backspacing so I will have to learn about that.

11. Jul 23, 2007 at 1:14 PM
    doublea

doublea Active Member

Member:
    Let me know, I know that the Tuff Country 3" Kit had an example of it by saying the biggest you could go was with the 32" tires. I was reading the Pro Comp wheel site and I think their wheels either have the off set built in?? Not quite sure. I'll ask some friends and see what spacers are needed behind the wheel for clearance.

12. Jul 23, 2007 at 7:51 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    what i dont understand is this....some places sell a 2.5" spacer and others sell a 3" spacer to "level" out the front end...yet like reid said, the FAQ for toytec says that their 3" complete kit w/ the 3" spacer/coil and 2" AAL will level it out....i dont see how these numbers add up.

13. Jul 23, 2007 at 9:51 PM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    Using 3" of lift in the front either coils or spacers and 2" on the back will not level out your truck. They say it will, but it will still leave the rear higher. But who cares, just a little more suspension travel in the back.
    Let me run outside....
    OK -My 2007 V6 SR5 tacoma is 37.5" from the ground to the bottom of the rear fender flare. It is also 34.5"from the ground to the bottom of the front fender flare.
    So technically you only need to raise the front suspension 3" to level out your truck. And leave the rear stock.
    I am adding the 2" lift to the back because I use my truck a lot and it will probably sit level once I put some stuff in the back.

14. Jul 24, 2007 at 6:39 AM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    I just had my 1.5 inch leveling spacers installed. The directions said it would lift the front by 2.25 inches (Ready Lift). It sure looks like the front is slightly higher than the rear now. If I measure from the top of the tire to the bottom of the wheel well in front and rear it seems to be about an 1/2 inch higher now in the front than in the back. I also noticed that it seems like the driver side sits slightly lower than the passenger side. Any thoughts or comments????

15. Jul 24, 2007 at 11:16 AM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    I imagine that the reason your front is now higher than the back is because your truck is a dbl cab. Mine is an access cab. So my measurements are going to be different than yours. Some kits raise the truck differently for a dbl cab because of the extra weight.
    Also, are you still using your stock springs. I have heard a lot about aftermarket springs sagging, but never heard about the stock springs sagging. If your driverside is lower than your passangerside. It is probably because of sag. How heavy are you? Do you have someone riding in the passanger seat very often? Might be the reason for the sag.
    Another thing about the 1/2" higher front might be the way that you are measuring. Because the front is heavier than the rear, because of the engine, the tires on the front will be compressed more. Try measuring from the ground to the fender flare on the front and the back.

16. Jul 24, 2007 at 8:56 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    Thanks for the response. I am about 200 lbs. My girlfriend rides in the front a lot and she is about 135 lbs. I do have a lot of crap in my toolbox though. Looking at the truck it doesn't appear that it leans to one side or anything. I may not be on level ground for one thing. I'm measuring in my driveway. If I measure from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well I get the same 1/2 inch difference and I am using stock springs. I'll try to get to a level parking lot somewhere and take measurements there. Thanks again.

17. Jul 25, 2007 at 1:29 AM
    reid

reid Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    2007 V6 Access Cab
    I think that the extra weight (engine) in the front is compressing your front tires 1/2" more than your rear. It does on my truck. So by measuring from the ground up your truck should sit level with the lift..

Products Discussed in

To Top