LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

To install Diff drop kit or not to install?

View Poll Results: Should I install the Diff drop kit?
Yes, install it. 12 44.44%
No, dont install it. 12 44.44%
Does not make a difference do what you want. 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Scope3334 is a jewel in the roughScope3334 is a jewel in the roughScope3334 is a jewel in the rough
Law Enforcement:
Scope3334's Tacoma Gallery
To install Diff drop kit or not to install?

I'm getting ready to install my OME lift kit with Dakars onFriday. However after some more reading I have found a lot a mixed suggestionsabout either installing or not installing the Diff drop kit. Just wanted toknow why you would install it or why you would not install it?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
kieth is on a distinguished road
kieth's Tacoma Gallery
I installed my diff drop for a few months then took it out after doing more research and reading.You get that inch of clearance back and you don't rotate the diff starving the front of gear oil.it also didnt help any fromt end vibes , just kinda seemed like a waste of time and effort. I also installed full ome kit.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Bender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Bender581's Tacoma Gallery
I thought the reason to drop the differential was to keep the cv boot straight. With a lift, the cv boot rotates while at a sharp angle. As the cv boot rotates, the pleats fold together then unfold, fold, unfold. It is like bending a wire back and forth until it breaks. If I am not planing to do any hard core offroading, should I install the differential drop? Has anyone with a lift that has not installed the dif drop had trouble with the cv boot?
Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Diff drops don't do anything for second gen trucks.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender581 View Post
I thought the reason to drop the differential was to keep the cv boot straight. With a lift, the cv boot rotates while at a sharp angle. As the cv boot rotates, the pleats fold together then unfold, fold, unfold. It is like bending a wire back and forth until it breaks. If I am not planing to do any hard core offroading, should I install the differential drop? Has anyone with a lift that has not installed the dif drop had trouble with the cv boot?
You're correct , but they don't work on 2nd gens
Old 05-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #7
Bender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBender581 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
You're correct , but they don't work on 2nd gens
Does the drop kit not drop the diff enough to correct the angle? I am new to all of this and learning so much here.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender581 View Post
Does the drop kit not drop the diff enough to correct the angle? I am new to all of this and learning so much here.
In the second gens it just rotates the diff resulting in an extremely minimal change in the CV angle
Old 05-02-2012, 06:47 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
In the second gens it just rotates the diff resulting in an extremely minimal change in the CV angle
I wonder how much the life of the boot is reduced? Can I lub the boot with something like what I use on the dash? It seems like that was one of the suggestion back in the 80's to extend the life of the cv boots on front wheel drive cars.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
We've been over this too many times:

No. Do not install your diff drop. Just go pop the clamps on the axle boots, slide the lip some to spread out the fins, then re-clamp with hose clamp. 10 minutes for both sides and problem solved.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #12
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Mine's still in the box from my OME kit.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #13
Roll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoll Tide is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Quinton
Roll Tide's Tacoma Gallery
So...what about 1st gens? Install diff drop or not?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #15
GO TIGERS!
holyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shedholyfield19 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Titto
holyfield19's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
We've been over this too many times:

No. Do not install your diff drop. Just go pop the clamps on the axle boots, slide the lip some to spread out the fins, then re-clamp with hose clamp. 10 minutes for both sides and problem solved.
I would like to know some more about this. Anyone have any pictures or a link for it?
Old 05-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
boshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to beholdboshak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tony
boshak's Tacoma Gallery
Cant link you cause Im on my phone but search for boot slide mod. Plenty of threads around on this.