1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bilsteins/Eibach vs. Toytec Coilovers

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by HammerHead, May 4, 2012.

1. May 4, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    HammerHead

HammerHead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD OffRoad PreRunner SR5 DC
    I know I'm going to take some grief on this, as I know I'm asking a question that has probably been answered already. But you could read 'War & Peace' twice before you could cover all the thread pages in this, and I have read through alot of the search results. I just want confirmation that I am interpreting everything correctly. I'm a weekend mechanic, not a Master tech, so bear with me, and talk to me like I'm two on this stuff.:D

I'm going to dump my spacer lift soon, and replace with upgraded suspension <insert applaud here>.

If I am reading everything correctly, are the below the only differences between the Toytec coilovers and the Bilstein/Eibach coil route:

1) Toytec coilovers come pre-assembled; Bilstein/Eibach do not (would need compression head decapitation device or take to a local shop to have assembled)

2) Toytec will give you adjustable up to 3" lift; Bilstein/Eibach will give you 3" but not adjustable due to the coil(?). The following from Toytec website in regards to Bilstein/Eibach:

95-04 Tacoma 3" lift (Will not work on stock length shocks)

So do you lose the ability to adjust the Bilsteins due to the coil?

3) Bilstein/Eibach cheaper by about $300

4) If going to 3" will need to replace the UCA's (some peeps have, some have not) on both

5) Toytec has all the parts you need (total replacement) whereas the bilstein/Eibach will require the use of some of the original gear (bushings?)

6) Toytec coilover provides for a better ride quality over the Bilstein/Eibach, but I guess that is just a matter of personal opinion (queue Spinal Tap's "Big Bottoms")

I'm also looking at a complete OME kit, but wanted to confirm what I believe I'm reading on the Eibach/Bilstein vs. Toytec coilover battle. From what I've read, I need to wear a bullet proof vest before I wade into the OME vs. Toytec Coilover battle. Not ready for that yet.

Thanks! First one to answer receives my undying love and appreciation.

Jake

2. May 4, 2012 at 7:55 AM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    1. Right.

2. Wrong. You can get 3" with a bilstein/eibach combination. Just have to set the right spring perch height on the 5100s. Which one is right depends on 1st gen vs. 2nd gen and also truck weight.

3. OK.

4. Most folks do not replace upper control arms on 1st gen Tacomas. That's a 2nd gen thing.

5. Right. But I think Toytec also offers a preassembled/precompressed combination other than their "ultimate lift coilivers." you might want to double check.

6. The components are the same. (spring/shock) any differences would be due to individual ride height adjustments. (in general - higher = worse)

3. May 4, 2012 at 8:00 AM
    Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wilbur's Barn
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Rugged Trail V6
    Toytec Ulimate W/Dakar leaf pack, LR UCA'S, Undercover, Weather Tech, Block Heater
    If you call Toytec they will answer all your questions. This my 2, The Toytec coilovers come with a wrench so you can adjust them. mine came out of the box set at 3" but I could lower them or if I ever install a plate bumper I could adjust for the extra weight. They are easyer to install. I did the LR UCA's with out them the alignment will be off a little. Lots of people dont have them. I have 16K miles on my Toytec kit no problems. Hope this helps. Forgot you had a 1st gen. don't think you need UCA's

4. May 4, 2012 at 8:02 AM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    On a first gen which I see you have you dont have to preload the springs because the Eibachs will give you 3" of lift at the 0 setting on the 5100's

5. May 4, 2012 at 8:05 AM
    HammerHead

HammerHead [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD OffRoad PreRunner SR5 DC
    Guys, thank you!! This really does help. Yes, I was going to call Toytec too, but wanted to get TW's answers first in case I get the hard sell. Thanks dudes, much appreciated.

Products Discussed in

To Top