9" Suspension Lift, Off-road capabilities

Old 05-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
kbrebel04 is on a distinguished road
Marines: Sergeant
Name: Kyle
kbrebel04's Tacoma Gallery
9" Suspension Lift, Off-road capabilities

Hello everyone,

I was wondering, would putting 9" of suspension lift on a Tacoma negatively effect its off-road performance? If so, how?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Yes. You'd destroy your driveline and eat CV boots like popcorn.

And look like a colossal douche with the giantest penis ever.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you SAS and go with wider axles, I'd say 9" of lift plus whatever lift you get from the larger tires would make the truck way too top heavy.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
Thanks guys, What would be the most optimal lift for a off-road tacoma be then?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrebel04 View Post
OME or toytecs

Or you can spend a couple grand and get some CO's, UCA's, spring kit, and rear shocks.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
3". Cab mount chop and stuff 35". Looks mean.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc View Post
off road, go for around 3. living where you do, i would go full mid travel if you could afford it
what's your budget?

5000-6000 Parts, all the work I can do myself

Thats for lift, tires, wheels

I already have money aside for lockers and labor
Old 05-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Icon CO's, UCA's, 2.5" shocks, and 2.0" shocks. http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05updonahoetacoma.htm

Camburg CO's and UCA's
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05upcamburgcotaco.htm

There are many options out there just depends on how much you want to spend...
Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
3" lift is the most you'll need
or 4", LT will give you 4" of lift.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #11
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah 4K should get you started very well on a MT setup. Thats about what Im looking at right now on mine.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #12
Awesome responses guys, noob question incomming.

"Mid Travel"?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #13

Quote:

"Mid Travel"?
Mid-travel is only going to give you 8" max, I think.

^^^ I could be wrong.

Long Travel is going to give you about 14" of travel.

EDIT:Anyone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

"Mid Travel"?
Its between stock and Long Travel, so hence the term. Its a gray area of what is considered MT but to me its extended travel shocks, upper control arms, leaf pack. Then you can add from there, bumps, straps etc.... Gets the job done and isnt too bad on the wallet.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Basically new UCAs and extended travel coil overs. What size tire do you want to run? I'm running 35s on 3" lift and cut 2" out of flares and fenders. Aint easy to do though. You can stuff 35s with an AP LT kit and minimal cutting, at least not cutting into sheet metal.

9" is too high, you want a lower center of gravity, plus with a DB kit you can't run solid skids. With 3" you can get a full set of beefy skids to protect everything under the truck.

Just my .02
Old 05-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #16

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Heres my planned set up that Ill be throwing on in the next few weeks to give you an Idea

Camburg UCAs w/ Icon Remote Resis up front
All Pro expedition pack w/ Icon Remote Resi in the rear
Wheelers bump stops up front
Timbren Bumps w/ All pro U bolt flip kit in the rear
Extended brake lines from Toytec
BFG AT KOs 285
AP 2" Fender Flares
SpiderTrax 1.25" Spacers all around
Reinforcing Motor mounts
Custom prerunner bumper
Old 05-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
3 7 Mafia
Blacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlacktacoma23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
Blacktacoma23's Tacoma Gallery
Do you want to run a set of skids?
with a 6" lift theres not much protection for the front diff/db

Edit: Max beat me to it
Old 05-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
Its between stock and Long Travel, so hence the term. Its a gray area of what is considered MT but to me its extended travel shocks, upper control arms, leaf pack. Then you can add from there, bumps, straps etc.... Gets the job done and isnt too bad on the wallet.

Nice, I will be using it for recreational. It is my daily driver, 5-12 times a year I would like to hit trails with it, nothing crazy but novice climbing, off-road camping etc.. Not all sure what I would need with that.

I have a TRD Sport, so no lockers. Suspension, wheels, tires, rear(and front?) lockers and w/e else I need to look at. Just not sure what exactly
Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #19

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmc View Post
solid setup^^^
Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
Heres my planned set up that Ill be throwing on in the next few weeks to give you an Idea

Camburg UCAs w/ Icon Remote Resis up front
All Pro expedition pack w/ Icon Remote Resi in the rear
Wheelers bump stops up front
Timbren Bumps w/ All pro U bolt flip kit in the rear
Extended brake lines from Toytec
BFG AT KOs 285
AP 2" Fender Flares
SpiderTrax 1.25" Spacers all around
Reinforcing Motor mounts
Custom prerunner bumper

Why are you going with the SpiderTrax 1.25" spacers all around?