Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Suspension

Notices

DIY LCA Cam replacement 2005+ Tacoma

Old 05-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
DIY LCA Cam replacement 2005+ Tacoma

This is for removal and replacement of totally seized OE LCA CAM bolts and sleeves ONLY.
I am not covering the removal of OE components that are in the way of LCA bolt removal and installation.

You may be able to get them free once seized thus saving yourself time and money, but if they have been seized greasing them up will only delay the inevitable and they will continue to degrade due to pitting. I recommend replacement of the parts and proper maintenance (continual greasing throughout your trucks lifespan - yes I know it sucks). For those just greasing up the cam bolts: index them, remove all the bolts, clean, lube, and re-install them. Be sure to also clean and grease the inside of the bushings. You should still get an alignment afterwords.

For LCA bushing replacement see here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ml#post3691528

For LCA ball joint replacement see here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ml#post3691540

<<<A front end alignment is highly recommended after you swap CAM bolts and sleeves even if you indexed them>>>

Tools required:

Common Sense
1/2" Impact ratchet
1/2" Ratchet
??? mm impact socket (1/2" drive)
??? mm impact socket (1/2" drive)

PB Blaster or similar
Mobil 1 or similar grease
Gloves
Safety glasses
Grinder and cut off wheels
Sawzall and metal blades
Cutting wax
Aluminum colored sharpie
Cup, water, and Goof Off (or similar)

It's YOUR responsibility to wear the proper PPE and use common sense. This could prove dangerous if the tools required are used in manners they were not designed or intended for. Do not apply torque to the tools past their recommended limit.

Toyota Parts required:

(2) of these

(2) of these

(2) of these

You will need to remove the stickers on the front cams. Do not use anything abrasive. I soaked them in water overnight then cleaned off the adhesive with Goof Off.

The remaining hardware can be reused as long as you cut the LCA's off correctly. IMO there is no need to replace good hardware.

Everything needed for the front:

Everything needed for the rear:

Removal

Note: Lube all threaded bolts, nuts, etc. before attempting to loosen them. I lubed mine up every days for about a week before touching anything.

Step 1: Index the cams by marking them in 2 locations front and rear.

You will still need an alignment, but being able to get them back to close will be safer.

(I didn't take pics of my indexing mine so here is from the install - note I had to transfer the markings to the sides of the new cam)

Step 2: Loosen all the nuts and cut the front of the rear bushing. Be careful not to cut into the frame.

If you want you can try a sawzall, but I found this to be a poor tool for the job. It was time consuming even using high quality Lenox steel blades and wax. I found using cut off wheels to be much quicker although not as safe. Having some smaller cut off wheels (used ones) proved to be key for the final bits of cutting. They can be used where a larger wheel will hit the frame.

Step 2: Loosen all the nuts and cut the rear of the front bushing. Be careful not to cut into the frame.

At this point the LCA will come right out. You now need to remove the old bushings in the LCA and put new ones in. See here
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...ml#post3691528

Old 05-14-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
BDUF#
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Installation

Step 1: Transfer index marks to new hardware. I usually lay them on a table and use a small framing square.

(Sorry no pics)

Step 2: Install LCA's with pre-lubed bushings

Front

Rear

Step 3: Front LCA

Install sleeve into front LCA mount towards the rear

It will stick out the back of the front LCA mount if you did it right.

Install re-used cam plate to the rear of the front LCA mount

Insert front LCA bolt from front towards rear

Hand tighten. When your done with the rear come back and torque to 110ft# or some shit

Step 4: Rear LCA

Insert lubed bolt from front to back

Install re-used cam tab and nut. Torque to balls ass tight.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
19 mm for LCA bolt removal

EDIT: NVM, this is for the sleeves, those are bigger.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
19 mm for LCA bolt removal

lol...

sorry I'm a little late for yours

We also need a GOOD wheel bearing thread. The ones I have seen are seriously lacking
Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Fix yer damn threads

we got 85,000 members.....maybe some of them should put down the platiderp and contribute to this place

Maybe this weekend buddy.....maybe
Old 08-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
any updates?
Is the Qty of parts to replace all 4 cams or just the one seized cam?
I'm already piecing together pricing to see how much it will cost to refurbish a used set of LCA's with a Moog balljoint and aftermarket bushings.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaTRD View Post
any updates?
I'm already piecing together pricing to see how much it will cost to refurbish a used set of LCA's with a Moog balljoint and aftermarket bushings.

This stuff is what you would need should you cut exactly where I did and had 4 seized up on you. If you cut the right stuff when removing it the less parts you will need (what I did).
Old 08-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Got it. so if it looks like i only have one that's seized, then i will only need the parts for a "drivers front" cam. will it be fine to reuse the other ones as long as I grease them again?
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaTRD View Post
any updates?

You OK? Still got questions?

I finally got around to completing the thread. Still needs some polishing, but it's 99% there.

Sorry for the wait.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #11
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
has anyone used any other brands for alignment cams?? is Toyota in major centers more than like to have a toe set-up..... I kind of hit a snag tonight, how is it only 1/4 was seized ugh, I now know why the alignment was never able to be perfect though......
Old 03-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
has anyone used any other brands for alignment cams?? is Toyota in major centers more than like to have a toe set-up..... I kind of hit a snag tonight, how is it only 1/4 was seized ugh, I now know why the alignment was never able to be perfect though......
SPC makes a kit
Old 03-22-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
thanks i think the factory kit looks a little more robust lol

thanks though!! The good news is ill have a new part by noon
Old 03-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
thanks i think the factory kit looks a little more robust lol

thanks though!! The good news is ill have a new part by noon
I agree , but I do like that the SPC kit has a sleeve to keep the bolt from seizing to the bushing
Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Good find Peter!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
i hate the factory front cams...ive broken 4 of them
Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunknsloth View Post
So that kit comes with two sets of camber bolts and the alignment tabs to go with it? I have to buy two of the kits to replace all four of my camber bolts?
Yeah , looks like 1 kit does 1 LCA

Edit : It even says 1 kit per wheel in the link , lol
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #20
BDUF#

XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Someone needs to buy them and test them out to see how long that plastic lasts.

I only have another 2-3 years on my new bushings & bolts